Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd February 2017, 16:20   #1
Malc.
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE Royal Blue.

Default Insurance - Value

Hi,
The insurance is due next week, on my wife's Corsa, which we have had for almost 4 years. The 'value' states £3700, (which is what we paid for it.)
The quote is £185, Comprehensive, My wife and myself as named drivers.
I know that we wouldn't get that amount in the event of an accident, however when I've mentioned it to the insurance broker, they say that reducing the figure wouldn't result in a lower premium.
I, of course am not totally convinced....

The same situation arises with the 75, which is ( on paper), still valued at £3000. I've had it for 5 years. (Insurance due in September.)
As a matter of interest, we do less than 3000 miles per year in the Rover and under 2000 miles per year in the Corsa.

Your opinions please.

Regards, Malc.

Last edited by Malc.; 3rd February 2017 at 16:23..
Malc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2017, 16:40   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Malc,

The 'value' given by you, the insured, is of no consequence whatsoever. When you make a claim the insurer will only consider the trade-in value of the car. If the repair cost is higher (and it's virtually certain that it will be on older cars) they will write off your car.

This can be avoided with a TPF&T policy or with some classic car policies which allow you to buy back the salvage for a nominal amount.

Have you tried the comparison sites and adjusted the other variables to seek a lower premium?

How old is your Corsa?

Simon
Old 3rd February 2017, 19:03   #3
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Every time I've looked at TPF&T its worked out more expensive than fully comprehensive.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2017, 21:05   #4
Malc.
Loves to post

Thanks for your replies, I forgot to mention that the Corsa is an '05' plate and the Rover is a '53' plate.
Obviously the values stated on the insurance documents are way out - however I've always considered that the insurance quote would be partially based on its assessed 'value'.
We could be asking ourselves if we really need two vehicles when our total usage is so little....But that's another story....
I may just ask about the T.P.F&T option, but as has been mentioned, that may be more expensive.
Ideally, we would like a reasonably priced policy that takes into consideration the fact that it's not used a great deal (and only locally.)
Regards, Malc.
Old 4th February 2017, 07:49   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc. View Post
I may just ask about the T.P.F&T option, but as has been mentioned, that may be more expensive.
I found the premium to be cheaper when using the MoneySupermarket website. But those cheaper comprehensive policies will instantly cost you a lot of money when your ten year old Corsa is written off due to fairly minor damage which you could easily repair yourself. Think of the wider picture not just the annual premium.
Quote:
Ideally, we would like a reasonably priced policy that takes into consideration the fact that it's not used a great deal (and only locally.)
Restrict the policy to your actual low annual mileage, choose TPF&T, select a high excess, decline personal accident insurance and legal cover (it's related only to recovering uninsured losses. As you don't need a hire car paid for by your insurer you won't have any).
Do all this on-line so that you can tinker with the various elements and see what effect they have on the premium.

Good luck.

Simon
Old 6th February 2017, 14:56   #6
Malc.
Loves to post

Just a quick update on this subject...
I've renewed the insurance on the Corsa at the quoted premium of £185...
I asked about reducing the mileage from 3000 to 2000 per year, I inquired about increasing the 'excess',(currently £100.) however it was suggested that the Company, (Ageas) may have a minimum charge for insurance and it couldn't be reduced. I don't have any 'frills' that I could remove...
Many thanks for your opinions - I have learned from this experience...

Regards, Malc.