Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd December 2016, 10:13   #1
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts
Default Diesel becoming public enemy number 1!!!

This will be interesting, if it goes through. 2025 is well within the lifespan of cars being manufactured now. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-38170794

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2016, 10:41   #2
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Long overdue in my view. Crazy lunatic "Green" policies skewed peoples buying preference towards diesel - I label them "Green" because as an 'old fashioned environmentalist' - the policies that brought about the loony tax breaks for diesel cars so they became the sensible option for many are in no way anything to do with our environment or environmentalism.

These "Green" policies and agenda's from the Green Taliban are to blame for horrendous pollution on our streets.

These idiots like to threaten anyone that does not tow their line with future "actions" based upon their perceived crimes of being a "Denier".

I would very much like to see those monumental idiots that pushed this lie having to answer for their actions. They lobbied our politicians that CO2 was so bad that the marginally lower CO2 emissions of a diesel engine meant that the widely predicted deaths from lung disease that would result, was a price we had to pay.

What we should have done was enhanced and extended the LPG Powershift Scheme for cars in our Towns and Cities as well as a complete review of how Public Transport works where you often see buses belching out plumes of smoke whilst they transport one or two people !!

Crazy.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2016, 13:14   #3
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

The country and the world for that matter is run by the minority, the silent majority don't get a look in.
I have bought a few diesels in my day but surely anyone with a bit of savvy must realise that the particulates (soot) and the Nox gasses are harmful to health.
My daughter has asthma and all sorts of things can trigger it off but one of the more regular things is busses, lorries and older vans that emit copious amounts of smoke.
LPG should have been pushed far greater than it has been, LPG added to the massive amount of recent research in improving petrol engine efficiency would have solved a lot of problems.

The Govt and the so called Greens keep pushing electric cars, don't they understand that to charge the wretched things you need more power stations which we don't have plus of course they consume huge amounts of carbon in manufacture, the battery life is dubious and they will be a money pit when a fault appears or batteries are dud.

The whole transport infrastructure needs a re-think not by environmentalists that worry about the hedgehog getting across the road but by sensible schemes thought out by motorists, businesses, commuters and all that use transport in one way or another.
Pollution can be cut tomorrow by removing speed bumps, telling the kids to walk to school, walk to the shops that are 200 yards down the road and of course using cameras to cut speeding down in town.
OK rant over!!!!!
Old 2nd December 2016, 14:46   #4
Darcydog
This is my second home

I have a cdti and I love it. Powerful, loads of torque and once warmed up - relatively quiet. Not as quiet as the Mazda 6 2.2cdti I drive regularly but very nice on a long journey - and that is what I do. I rarely do short hops and if we do we go in the Hyundai 1.4 i30 Tourer.

I bought my ZT-T with 97k on the clock and it has now done just under 125K in two and half years. So just under 12,000 miles pa and all but a few are long distance miles. It is only my opinion but such use is very much that for which diesels should be used.

But I have made my mind up - if anything terminal happens to my lovely ZT-T then my next vehicle will be petrol/LPG.

I really do fancy a 2.5 V6 on LPG
Old 2nd December 2016, 16:19   #5
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Whatever your view on "green" issues, what everyone constantly ignores is the resources that go into the making of a new car, which I am told equal 80% of the energy it will use in it's lifetime. Old cars are perceived as the enemy of the environment, but in truth they are the greenest!
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2016, 17:11   #6
fega72
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Pollution can be cut tomorrow by removing speed bumps, telling the kids to walk to school, walk to the shops that are 200 yards down the road and of course using cameras to cut speeding down in town.
OK rant over!!!!!
Councils urged to redesign speed bumps to cut pollution
fega72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2016, 17:16   #7
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fega72 View Post
All speed bumps do is provide work for garages and mechanics .

Created to punish the boyracers we all suffer for thier behaviour.
FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2016, 17:27   #8
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

If this pic of London's smog today is anything to go by I think it will happen sooner than 2025. http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...-a3411041.html

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2016, 18:42   #9
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
Whatever your view on "green" issues, what everyone constantly ignores is the resources that go into the making of a new car, which I am told equal 80% of the energy it will use in it's lifetime. Old cars are perceived as the enemy of the environment, but in truth they are the greenest!
Correct! - couple of years ago an American research group called CNW looked at more than the usual C02 emissions figures and uses a "dust-to-dust" calculation of a car's environmental impact, from its creation to its ultimate destruction. Thus CNW takes account of just about everything - research and development, manufacture, cost of scrapping and recycling, fuel used and so on.

The most environmentally friendly vehicle in the USA?

The Jeep Wrangler because it is (like the Land Rover) almost infinitely repairable.

Again - all the "be Green - Buy a new car" nonsense is yet another huge GreenWash Con-trick.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...le-423233.html

Last edited by Darcydog; 2nd December 2016 at 18:43.. Reason: Forgot the Link
Old 2nd December 2016, 19:12   #10
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I have a diesel to tow my caravan. will the 1.8 pull it? I have towed with a 1.8 petrol Carina, no spare power.

Had my cdt 3 years and done about 15 or 16,000 miles. how does the pollution compare to a 30k 2L petrol? My miles are mainly out of town and on motorways or A roads

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote