Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th October 2019, 14:35   #1
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

Default Ongoing ABS fault

Afternoon all. Wondering if anyone can help please. The ABS light came up on my 190. Generic garage diagnostic stated sensor fault and 'return pump' at fault. I replaced the sensor with OEM part from Rimmer Bros which cleared the sensor fault. I bought a brand new genuine ABS modulator and fitted that. Ignition on and light went out. Pressed the brakes and the light came back on again. Anyone advise what else could be at fault please? Could it be the master cylinder??? Any help great fully received.

Thanks. Ben.
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2019, 15:37   #2
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Wiring maybe? Anything frayed up behind the wheel arch liner?

Did the start up test of the abs pass?
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2019, 16:13   #3
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

It's fairly unlikely to be a master cylinder fault, more likely to be wiring related..........however what about having the fault codes read correctly, and perhaps with a view to looking at live data from each of the four wheels while underway?

It is sometimes easier and cheaper than guesswork

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2019, 18:42   #4
Typhoon190
This is my second home

Thanks for the replies both.

I'll check the wiring as best I can next.

Yes, on start up after the battery had been removed, the ABS light behaved as it should. Pressing the brake pedal threw it back on again.

I would like to get it on a T4 as you suggest Brian, but unfortunately she's out of MOT now due to time taken getting accident damage repaired.

Genuinely thought replacing the modulator would cure it. Getting nowhere slowly at the minute.

The red one is out of MOT Thursday. I bypassed the oil cooler last weekend as she was over heating and mixing oil and water. Initial assessment looks like the oil cooler is the culprit. Love these cars.
Old 13th October 2019, 19:04   #5
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

If there was air in the modulator and you applied the brakes would that make the warning light come on ???
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2019, 19:06   #6
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
If there was air in the modulator and you applied the brakes would that make the warning light come on ???
Nope......
Old 13th October 2019, 22:13   #7
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon190 View Post
Thanks for the replies both.

I'll check the wiring as best I can next.

Yes, on start up after the battery had been removed, the ABS light behaved as it should. Pressing the brake pedal threw it back on again.

I would like to get it on a T4 as you suggest Brian, but unfortunately she's out of MOT now due to time taken getting accident damage repaired.

Genuinely thought replacing the modulator would cure it. Getting nowhere slowly at the minute.

The red one is out of MOT Thursday. I bypassed the oil cooler last weekend as she was over heating and mixing oil and water. Initial assessment looks like the oil cooler is the culprit. Love these cars.
Was the car moving when you pressed the brakes and the light came on, or was this before you had even moved off after startup?
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2019, 10:54   #8
thanos.m
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Do you know if the rest of the sensors original ? And have you checked to see if the rear rings and sensors are clean ? I had ABS problems on my first 75 because of an cheap after market sensor which would randomly throw ABS faults.
thanos.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2019, 11:10   #9
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

Hi Ben, did you change the ABS module because of corrosion, if so there may be corrosion in the ABS modulator plug itself

Unfortunately the plug is not able to be stripped down to get the connectors out so if there is any dodgy badly corroded ones, it requires changing the whole connector by properly splicing in a replacement section of loom with the replacement connector

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2019, 19:52   #10
Typhoon190
This is my second home

Thanks to everyone that has posted. It's very much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lawrence View Post
Was the car moving when you pressed the brakes and the light came on, or was this before you had even moved off after startup?
Hello David

With the car off the ground having just fitted the modulator, bled the brakes and reconnected the battery, ignition on illuminated the ABS light which then went out as it should. I put the wheels back on and drove the car into the car park at slow speed. When I pressed the brake pedal, the ABS light came back up. Brakes worked as they should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanos.m View Post
Do you know if the rest of the sensors original ? And have you checked to see if the rear rings and sensors are clean ? I had ABS problems on my first 75 because of an cheap after market sensor which would randomly throw ABS faults.
Hi.

All the sensors were GEARMAX, and had been running without issue since June last year when she went through here first MOT after extensive work. N/S rear has since been replaced with what is hopefully a genuine part from Rimmer Bros. I will be ordering the other 3 accordingly anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
Hi Ben, did you change the ABS module because of corrosion, if so there may be corrosion in the ABS modulator plug itself

Unfortunately the plug is not able to be stripped down to get the connectors out so if there is any dodgy badly corroded ones, it requires changing the whole connector by properly splicing in a replacement section of loom with the replacement connector

Russ
Hi Russ. I didn't replace the modulator due to corrosion, but due to the garage's generic reader stating 'return pump fault' ???

I didn't check carefully, but there was no obvious signs of corrosion or damage to the plug or wiring, however as suggested I will check this more thoroughly.

Thanks to all so far. Will keep this updated. Hopefully I'll get it sorted. Not in time for the MOT tomorrow though.