Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th October 2019, 18:40   #1
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Default Long lead time for a decent welder

Here is a problem. My rear sills need welding, and welders who do a decent job are in high demand, such that the wait will take me a month or two after the expiry of the MOT.

I am thinking i need a repair done good enough to get me through the MOT, then at least i can drive the car to get a better job done.

A recent post mentioned T,Hobbs is currently taking bookings for next easter!

Is there any harm having a welding job done now? I assume it can be re-done later by someone like Tom?

What do you guys think?

Jules mentioned some local guys who do patches, but not up to much cosmetically.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2019, 18:59   #2
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Suppose it depends on how far gone they are but the MoT testers up here don't consider the sills load bearing. One of my daughters' cars, bought during the summer needs a 18" repair section but flew through the MoT with a clean sheet.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2019, 19:04   #3
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

I was in the same position, mot before I got booked in with Tom. Passed without comment on the sills, so unless they're really bad, wouldn't worry too much
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2019, 21:40   #4
RogerHeinz57

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

My 75 is going in for sill repairs on Monday, usual place o/s/r either side of the jacking point, I won't mention the price I'm paying, but what I will say is -
I made my own templates ready for the guy who is doing the job, I used to do the MOTs for this garage before moving site. I can say they ARE GREAT value for money and honest in all things.
If you want cheap, it will look cheap, but pay a bit more, or make up templates for them, it helps things along, they also think my car is superb and will enjoy the company of it.
If anybody needs help with welding and happy to travel to NN15 area, I am happy to provide info of the garage !
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2019, 07:21   #5
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerHeinz57 View Post
My 75 is going in for sill repairs on Monday, usual place o/s/r either side of the jacking point, I won't mention the price I'm paying, but what I will say is -
I made my own templates ready for the guy who is doing the job, I used to do the MOTs for this garage before moving site. I can say they ARE GREAT value for money and honest in all things.
If you want cheap, it will look cheap, but pay a bit more, or make up templates for them, it helps things along, they also think my car is superb and will enjoy the company of it.
If anybody needs help with welding and happy to travel to NN15 area, I am happy to provide info of the garage !
When you say “templates”, what was it that you provided? You mean the actual panel ready to weld in or a template in the sense of a cardboard shape for them to make up to?

I would put it in for test without welding, but it is already holed now after he put his thumb through it last year. He passed it with an advisory then, but its another year passed since then. Would rather get it done.

I have a few more places to try, but its difficult arranging since i dont get home very often.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2019, 08:33   #6
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerHeinz57 View Post
As you’re an MoT tester, could I ask what’s what regarding load bearing and the state of the sills? Don’t think I’m alone here in being confused why some testers as in the OP’s car get an advisory, yet other testers pass Suzublu’s car with no comment, and my daughter’s which needs a 18” repair section also without comment.

My previous SD1s were also prone to sill rot, but no chance of getting one of those through even though the metal was thicker.

Confused
Old 13th October 2019, 10:01   #7
RogerHeinz57

A Reasonably Priced Car

There is likely to be some confusion on the rules regarding sills,as in countless other subjects mainly due to the unhealthy appetite for manipulation of set regulating rules as set out in the testers manual. So many things in life now seem to be argued and or new rules implemented by testers opinions or the public offering up a sweetener so their car will pass. & how many cars have been presented for test by owners here with ageing vehicles that score "No Advisories" Come on folks, really ? No corrosion, no wear on any bushes, tyres, joints. No suspension rear arm corrosion, headlamp aim too high. Come on, your not fooling me on this, if you believe all that, you must know the tester or they simply don't care.
Off subject a bit, but still related to rules that really don't get taken seriously - Speeding, so you get a ticket, the first thing that starts is the arguments regarding what the limit was, how many were overtaking ETC, Grow up folks, you got caught doing it, face up to it and pay for the breaking of the law, it's there for a reason weather you agree or not - the law was broken, you got caught at it so speed your way to pay for the lawless act.
The sill panel at either end as one complete panel has strength which whatever opinions exist is a panel that forms an integral load bearing section, it is as such a testable item and it's strength at any 1 given point must not be compromised. The tester manual is the only real way to ascertain how the presented vehicle should be tested.

I for one, don't do bent tests, and even if I was testing my car this time (Off Long Term Sick) and stupid enough to ignore the obvious fail item, it would compromise the effect of proper testing, and my integrity. The repair is taking place regardless of opinions on here or anywhere else.
I understand that many will argue my point, I don't care one bit why, I have a responsibility and will rely on my experience and knowledge to test accurately and have a clear conscience. The customer is always welcome to dispute any decision made by a tester, and has a period of time to advise DVSA of their argument. In many cases, DVSA will usually side with the customer unless the failed item is obviously dangerous, so the attitude towards testing is strict, through and not compromising the clear bible of rules.
The tester manual is open-book, so anybody can read through it and manipulate their own rules from it as they see fit.

The templates that I produced were of thin sheet steel, the idea was to give some ideas of how I'd like the repair to be performed without making the sill look like it's obviously been repaired from a kerbside view.
Old 13th October 2019, 10:32   #8
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks for the reply, I guess this quote contains the information I was looking for:

"The sill panel at either end as one complete panel has strength which whatever opinions exist is a panel that forms an integral load bearing section, it is as such a testable item and it's strength at any 1 given point must not be compromised"

Our testing stations are run somewhat differently in that they only do testing and nothing else (bit like council owned ones?) so have little interest in being generous. Still have trouble accepting how my daughter's 18" holed sill passed but it will be fixed.

Thanks again

Last edited by vitesse; 13th October 2019 at 10:40.. Reason: Grammar
Old 13th October 2019, 11:06   #9
RogerHeinz57

A Reasonably Priced Car

I get what you mean. And apologies if I come across a bit coarse, but there are testers who simply invent their own test criteria as i have pointed out. In many cases I had to perform failure repairs as well, but primary role as tester was my preference. The only way i would pass a rotten or holed sill would be on a vehicle without integral structure.. ie a 4x4 with a separate chassis.
But overall as stated the rules are the rules and safety requires them to be followed without making new ones up as you go !

That said, the DVSA are re-writing parts of the test manual all the time, so worth keeping up to date with.

Last edited by RogerHeinz57; 14th October 2019 at 09:44.. Reason: .
Old 13th October 2019, 13:11   #10
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Who would want to be an MOT tester? For me one of the biggest mistakes was allowing the test manual to be available to all for people to read and interpret as they see rather than how the person doing the test sees it. It makes me cringe when you see a post on Facebook along the lines of ‘should this pass/fail’ etc and everybody and their dog gives an absolutely factual reply although never having been a tester. Testers are there to give an honest opinion within the rules they are given and this can differ so find one you trust with a good reputation and all is good....

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote