Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th October 2019, 20:30   #11
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

My 2001 CDT (115PS) did over 25,000 miles last year, 50%+ high speed (ahem) motorway driving, the rest in mixed driving (so not all top gear) and returned 49mpg overall and it never produces black smoke, unless you try to accelerate hard from low revs, which I have only done in error. I am told that giving it a T4 tweak to 131PS, like a CDTi, improves fuel consumption as well, so I'm saving my pennies to give Brian a visit before Christmas. Let's hope it doesn't snow, like last time I was going to see him!
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2019, 20:36   #12
Pueblo_Boy
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Yep, check the small plastic mounting bracket at the end of the intercooler, I have known a few of these to crack and draw air in to the system.
If it turns out to be that "small plastic mounting bracket", is it repairable/replaceable? I'm tempted to just get the intercooler off the scrapped MG, as it's a bit more of a drag to get my car stripped and checked out and then have to drive to a scrapyard in Malaga than to just buy it in the first place...but then, being Scottish (and a poor pensioner!), wasting money on something I don't need will stick in the craw...

I suspect I'll be back to belching out black smoke sooner rather than later...so a proper fix is required, especially as I will be driving back fully laden all the way home...
Interior Trim Sports PPH Black, but now with real walnut wooden trim!
One of only 20 on the road!
Pueblo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2019, 20:49   #13
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

A replacement intercooler is far better than trying to repair the damage should it be that. The plastic of the intercooler is difficult to repair, especially after its had diesel over it.
Old 11th October 2019, 07:32   #14
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblo_Boy View Post
If it turns out to be that "small plastic mounting bracket", is it repairable/replaceable? I'm tempted to just get the intercooler off the scrapped MG, as it's a bit more of a drag to get my car stripped and checked out and then have to drive to a scrapyard in Malaga than to just buy it in the first place...but then, being Scottish (and a poor pensioner!), wasting money on something I don't need will stick in the craw...

I suspect I'll be back to belching out black smoke sooner rather than later...so a proper fix is required, especially as I will be driving back fully laden all the way home...
You will more than likely save most of the cost of the Intercooler by getting More MPG on the way home to Scotland and without the likely hood of being pulled over for producing a Smokescreen behind you

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2019, 16:30   #15
Pueblo_Boy
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Smile

I visited the scrapyards in Malaga (of which there are 10+ all next to each other in an industrial estate), and picked up the 'new' intercooler for 40 euros. The donor car was agood looking MG ZT, right-hand drive, Spanish plates, and the underside looked clean and shiny...I was almost wishing I needed a new exhaust or something else! That was a result, as I don't think Rovers/MG were ever imported into Spain, so pretty rare to find.

The scrapyards are all computerised now - they can find any car, with 200+ parts listed on each one, so they know if a part has been sold or not. Takes the hunting around trying to find your car out of service!

So, intercooler to be fitted next Wednesday, I hope that solves the problem, and I can have a worry free journey home (after soaking up some more sun - bit of a heatwave going on down here for mid-October!)
Old 12th October 2019, 13:48   #16
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
I visited the scrapyards in Malaga (of which there are 10+ all next to each other in an industrial estate), and picked up the 'new' intercooler for 40 euros. The donor car was agood looking MG ZT, right-hand drive, Spanish plates, and the underside looked clean and shiny...I was almost wishing I needed a new exhaust or something else! That was a result, as I don't think Rovers/MG were ever imported into Spain, so pretty rare to find.

The scrapyards are all computerised now - they can find any car, with 200+ parts listed on each one, so they know if a part has been sold or not. Takes the hunting around trying to find your car out of service!

So, intercooler to be fitted next Wednesday, I hope that solves the problem, and I can have a worry free journey home (after soaking up some more sun - bit of a heatwave going on down here for mid-October!)
Before going to the trouble of replacing the intercooler. Check that the elbow is correctly seated. I always thought mine was until I checked whilst the bumper was off. Bumper off and headlight removed, allowed me to push it down until there was a 'thunk'. After that there was slightly more power and the gunk behind the bumper stopped.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2019, 11:54   #17
Pueblo_Boy
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Question

OK, the intercooler replacement got put back till tomorrow Can anyone tell me how long it should take a mechanic to do the job? Presumably, it involves draining the system as well as removing bumper and radiator...

Should I clean the second-hand intercooler first? It has been leaking oil all over my boot, and maybe a jetwash would be good for it, although it doesn't look too bad...
Old 17th October 2019, 08:09   #18
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
The intercoolers on both the Rover and MG are the same

Sounds like there might be some damage to the intercooler from what the mechanic said, that would certainly account for the smoke issue

Russ
Quote:
OK, the intercooler replacement got put back till tomorrow Can anyone tell me how long it should take a mechanic to do the job? Presumably, it involves draining the system as well as removing bumper and radiator...

Quote:
Should I clean the second-hand intercooler first? It has been leaking oil all over my boot, and maybe a jetwash would be good for it, although it doesn't look too bad...
Yes clean the intercooler out while you can make sure its dry before fitting it, it should take about 2 hours to remove the old one and fit the replacement, bumper off, slam panel off, fan off, then the intercooler.

PS Russ I have sent you a PM regarding something else, Also Brian

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2019, 08:59   #19
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
He said he scrapped an MG diesel like mine last week, from 2001, and he also reckoned that the intercooler was 'round the other way' - with the pipework on the left as you look at it from the front

How can that be without a considerable alteration to the pipework?
A standard intercooler can't be fitted left to right using the standard hose, so be sure it's the correct part.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2019, 09:11   #20
Pueblo_Boy
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Yes clean the intercooler out while you can make sure its dry before fitting it, it should take about 2 hours to remove the old one and fit the replacement, bumper off, slam panel off, fan off, then the intercooler.

PS Russ I have sent you a PM regarding something else, Also Brian
So, no need to remove the radiator? And how do I clean the intercooler - just jet spray it at the car wash? I think you said before to clean it using brake fluid?
Sorry to be so ignorant on mechanical matters...but better to ask than make a silly mistake! Fitting has been put back until later today...