Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th July 2017, 00:59   #401
Incastone
Avid contributor

MG ZT+ CDTi, 2003, HFF.

Hiya,

I'm really tempted by these as they have the screen mirroring function so don't need built-in sat nav.

But all the current models I can find, none of them have the black/orange cable for the steering wheel controls.
At best they only have a pink parking brake cable there.

This one for instance, it has 7010B on it, so should work with the steering controls, no? Even if the cable isn't present as it stands, but the pinout diagram doesn't mention the SWC either:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-2-DIN-...3D132175146829

Oh, and do I want the red, blue or yellow bullets for this?

Last edited by Incastone; 10th July 2017 at 01:41..
Incastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2017, 08:50   #402
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incastone View Post
Hiya,

I'm really tempted by these as they have the screen mirroring function so don't need built-in sat nav.

But all the current models I can find, none of them have the black/orange cable for the steering wheel controls.
At best they only have a pink parking brake cable there.

This one for instance, it has 7010B on it, so should work with the steering controls, no? Even if the cable isn't present as it stands, but the pinout diagram doesn't mention the SWC either:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-2-DIN-...3D132175146829

Oh, and do I want the red, blue or yellow bullets for this?
I've not looked at these units for sometime now, a quick search seems to show the prices have increased, and some features have been taken away. Seems only the newer GPS models now have the SWC, and the basic 7010B/7012B models have been flagged as entry level units. A similar thing happened last year when some units being purchased had different firmware versions, the newer models didn't have the car manufacture logo option.

Its not uncommon for the manufacturing factory to make changes to a product during the build, either product improvements are made, or cost cutting is introduced. Its more beneficial for the manufacture to reduce build costs, this normally happens when certain boards/chips become more expensive, or become discontinued making the factories change suppliers regarding certain components.

I would imagine some sellers may have the earlier 7010B model units that have the SWC, might be worth sending some emails and asking the question.

I have found these ones below...

This one has SWC and comes with a rear camera.
7021B model that has the SWC and comes with a reaview camera, priced at £51.99.

This one has SWC & CD/DVD.
2 DIN 6.2" Bluetooth Touch Screen In Dash Car Stereo Radio CD DVD Player FM/USB £56.98
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2017, 19:06   #403
Incastone
Avid contributor

MG ZT+ CDTi, 2003, HFF.

Yep, looks like I kind of missed the boat on this one, although even at the higher prices of around £60 they are still exceptionally good value for money.

Problem is that a lot of the sellers have just cut and paste ads, so some state functions they don't have, and others have no mention of functions that they do actually have, and it takes 2 days for most of them to confirm what's what.

I'm going to wait until I get new speakers before I change it over, but if anyone is still reading this thread, that has a unit spare or unwanted that has the steering wheel controls, then please let me know
Old 12th July 2017, 16:31   #404
Incastone
Avid contributor

MG ZT+ CDTi, 2003, HFF.

Thought I'd add for anyone looking to get one that current pricing is based on 3 specific features:

1. GPS with dedicated SD card slot for storing maps
2. Android screen-mirroring
3. Steering Wheel Control

For me the point of these units is primarily to get my phone Bluetoothed to the car and off the windshield.

There's absolutely no point imo, having a 7" screen if you still have your phone obscuring an already pretty limited field of view.
So to make it worthwhile you need your navigation there too.

Some units don't have built-in GPS but do have screen-mirroring.

This casts your phone display to the unit, allowing you to view your google maps navigation or whatever you use on the DD's screen.

This is great for music players as well, as your familiar library structure is preserved.
Speaking of music, some of the units only support MP3, WMA and WAV, so if you have your library ripped to a lossless compressed format like FLAC or APE, then you need to double check those are supported.
Only the very cheapest seem to have this limitation though.

I'm a bit confused about something. I can't see any reason why the SWC wouldn't still function when using screen-mirroring, but maybe I'm being a bit optimistic.
Does the control signal get bounced to the phone over BT?
So if you hit next track on the steering column, will the instruction pass through to advance your phone's music player?

Anyway, the current best model that supports all of these features is the 7021G, and the cheapest I've seen it sold for new (only checked eBay) is £55.94 from China:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-DIN-7-Ca...YAAOSwYlRZNlRC

You can get a unit that supports SWC but without GPS or screen mirroring for £39.99 (the one below doesn't state SWC in the ad but I asked them and they confirmed this one does):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1224192235...&sojTags=bu=bu

and this one for 35.99 that supports screen-mirroring but no GPS or SWC:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3222399234...&sojTags=bu=bu

These might be cheaper on alibaba etc, I haven't dug around there yet.

Hope this helps narrow it down for someone.