Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th December 2012, 22:48   #1
p0kerstud
Regular poster

MG ZT

Question Need help with TV & Bluetooth.. Please!

Hi all,

Firstly sorry If this is already listed somewhere. I truthfully have spent most of the day looking through threads & links & it's all a bit confusing..

Anyway, the mourning period following the sad death of my 75 connoisseur a few months back has passed & a few days ago I purchased a 2.5l ZT.... Which I LOVE!

I do not know exactly what it came with as standard but the chap told me it had the High Line system & he had switched the head unit with the 16:9 one from the E46 BMW.

It looks the business & the radio, 6CD changer & GPS all work perfectly but with the digital switch over the TV is no longer working

As a child of the 70's who grew up on Knight Rider I know if I want to be anywhere near as successful with the ladies as "the Hoff" I need to get this sorted.

Ideally I would like freeview but £££ are in short supply at the mo. I have checked Ebay & found some reasonably affordable ones but don't want to buy only to find I need something else to make it work.

So my questions are:

can I simply remove the analogue receiver & plug one of these dvb-t things in?

Do I need to rip the loom to bits to wire it up?

instead of freeview can I buy a cable or something to plug an SD card/media player, phone or psp or something in (to watch films on) & if so where do I plug it?

and the head unit has a phone button which does not seem to do anything. Do I have to buy some additional piece of kit to make this work & again where do I plug it?

This is the 1st time I have posted in a forum so I'm sorry if I miss anything out. Also I am definitely not a mechanic or Auto electrician so please keep it simple!

Thanks
p0kerstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 22:53   #2
Thomas
This is my second home

MG6 1.8T GT SE

Moved to the ICE forum for better coverage :xmas-smiley-031:
Old 28th December 2012, 23:03   #3
p0kerstud
Regular poster

MG ZT

K thanks.

Told you I was new
Old 28th December 2012, 23:05   #4
Thomas
This is my second home

MG6 1.8T GT SE

Not a problem, thats why we are here! :xmas-smiley-031:
Old 28th December 2012, 23:11   #5
MN190
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190+

Bluetooth info here

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ead.php?t=7597

and here

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1564299

This isn't the cheapest option for bluetooth but is how you get a fully integrated system for the hi-line

As for the TV you need to either keep the tuner as its used for the graphics and add an adapter lead and a freeview tuner or replace it with a BMW hybrid TV Tuner for a E46
If you have a look in the ICE Forum for the high line there are more details on the options http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...splay.php?f=91
MN190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 23:11   #6
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

the tv bit can be converted with right box.sean aka radioguy a trader on here sells them on here best one is the meg 4 one.this plugs into your present tv tuner.for this you also need a adaptor from a company called toys in your car.get a coulpe of stick on antennas and away you go or you can use the cars inbuilt antenna system.as for the phone bit this will only work with a diffrent radio tuner.ie a bmw one .then you also need the brains of the system called a url plus a load of wiring another antenna and a microphone.can be done as i did it.as for the previous advice on the tv there is also a plug and option which is the bmw digital tuner which is a straight swop but these are very expensive for a item that most folks only use on odd ocassions
Old 29th December 2012, 22:30   #7
p0kerstud
Regular poster

MG ZT

wow.

Blown away by the speed of response & exactly what I wanted to know... Thanks to both of you.

I checked the toys in your car site & came over all faint when I saw the prices. just so I can see how many organs I will have to sell can you tell me which specific cable it is please?

I was wondering about other media players like portable DVD's etc but I assume they will require the same cable anyway?

As for the bluetooth.... who wants phone calls interrupting a nice drive anyway... lol

Thanks again
Old 29th December 2012, 23:00   #8
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

The lead you need for the TV from Toys In Your Car is £35 mate. Well worth it.
http://www.toysinyourcar.com/acatalog/rov_av.html

Last edited by Canonite; 29th December 2012 at 23:07..
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2012, 00:38   #9
p0kerstud
Regular poster

MG ZT

That's brill thanks Alan.

It will probably take me a few weeks but sure I can squeeze out a little extra cash from somewhere.

I'll let you know how I get on
Old 13th January 2013, 17:21   #10
p0kerstud
Regular poster

MG ZT

After a few more weeks of searching for a cheap alternative I found the AV cable thing was going to be my cheapest bet & to make sure I got the right one I once again lifted the boot cover to look for serial numbers or specific looking plugs etc.

Imagine my surprise when I saw this staring back at me

I already have one fitted lol.

Anyway I plugged in the nearest thing to hand with av output leads & music/video pre-loaded (my psp).

I scrolled through the tv channels & found the AV channel & result! I can hear it through the car speakers.

The video was less successful. When I select display on external device the screen comes to life but it is black & white, very fuzzy looking & flickers like someone is playing with the old vhold button on an old TV??

I have played with very limited options on the psp of "interlace or progressive" & "4:3 or 16:9" but I can't seem to clear up the picture.

Can anyone offer any advice??