Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th June 2016, 16:25   #11
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
If it comes on and goes out Harry then the static test has passed (i.e. the wiring loop is complete to each sensor so plugs etc should be ok).
If the light comes on and stays on then some part is open circuit or ecu / modulator issue
If the light goes out then comes on after pulling away then at least 1 of the ABS sensors is not returning the pulses in line with the others which points to sensor head / Reluctor ring on at least 1 wheel....
That is correct.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2016, 18:19   #12
Swordy
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 Saloon, Rover 75 Tourer

Default Can the specific fault

Thanks everyone, obviously something still isn't right.
The sensor was plugged in but it came with the salvage unit. I still have the original lead.
Can the specific fault be identified with a diagnostic?
Paul
Swordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2016, 19:04   #13
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordy View Post
Thanks everyone, obviously something still isn't right.
The sensor was plugged in but it came with the salvage unit. I still have the original lead.
Can the specific fault be identified with a diagnostic?
Paul
I think we need more precise answers...

1. Does the ABS light come on when the ignition is switched on?

2. Does the ABS light then go off a few seconds later?

3. Or does the ABS light just remain on constantly, as from the instant the ignition is turned on?

4. If as in 2 above, does the ABS light come on as soon as you drive the car, then remain on?

The small differences in behaviour are important in diagnosing what might be wrong.

You might find it useful to get an ABS plug and socket, from your scrapyard, with a short bit of cable attached to each. Connected back to back - Along with a 3 way choc block connector, they will allow you to make a 'break out' of the cables for further diagnostics.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 18th June 2016, 19:15   #14
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

You can get it hooked up and have the faults cleared, then switch on and see if it self tests ok. If if does, drive a few yards/miles until the fault shows again. Re-diagnose and note which wheel is showing the fault. If it doesn't self test then see previous posts.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2016, 19:46   #15
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
If the light comes on and stays on then some part is open circuit or ecu / modulator issue.
Is that always the case Pete? I had a fault once and the light stayed on until I drove a few yards down the road, and then it reset.

It was a few years ago though and I can't remember what the fault was or what I replaced.

But I do remember thinking that I hadn't sorted it when the light didn't go out straight away.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 18th June 2016 at 19:50..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2016, 20:38   #16
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Is that always the case Pete? I had a fault once and the light stayed on until I drove a few yards down the road, and then it reset.

It was a few years ago though and I can't remember what the fault was or what I replaced.

But I do remember thinking that I hadn't sorted it when the light didn't go out straight away.
Correct, if the light comes on due to a fault - I understand it can need a bit of distance once the fault has been cleared, for the ABS system to accept the fault is cleared and for the light to go back to normal.

Old 18th June 2016, 20:56   #17
Swordy
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 Saloon, Rover 75 Tourer

Default Light

The light stays on from ignition and start up. Then message centre displays ABS fault and goes off but display light stays on.
But I haven't driven it properly since the repair
Swordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2016, 21:15   #18
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordy View Post
The light stays on from ignition and start up. Then message centre displays ABS fault and goes off but display light stays on.
But I haven't driven it properly since the repair
Can you perhaps try a few start stops and short drives, to see if it does go off?

Old 19th June 2016, 02:05   #19
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Thread moved to a more appropriate forum. Re-direct left in old. This may be the better forum as threads get ‘lost’ very quickly in the General Forum.

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote