Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th December 2006, 21:53   #61
tourerfogey
Banned

Hello Zeb

I don't doubt that what you say is true ( I mean, would YOU lie to ME? ) but for the moment it would seem that the Chinese are some way off when it comes to car construction for the reasons I've already stated. So, if the Roewe does make it into the UK and the rest of Europe I don't think it will be for a few years yet.

There is also the misguided general public perception of Rover - too many people thought they were bad cars anyway because that's what's been drummed into them by the likes of Jeremy Clarkson and other parts of the media, so to them the Roewe will probably appear to be a cheap eastern version of what was already a bad car. If the Chinese do decide to sell it here then I reckon they have to get it right first time because the media will not give them a second chance.

Bas
tourerfogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2006, 21:54   #62
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourerfogey View Post
Hello Zeb

I don't doubt that what you say is true ( I mean, would YOU lie to ME? ) but for the moment it would seem that the Chinese are some way off when it comes to car construction for the reasons I've already stated. So, if the Roewe does make it into the UK and the rest of Europe I don't think it will be for a few years yet.

There is also the misguided general public perception of Rover - too many people thought they were bad cars anyway because that's what's been drummed into them by the likes of Jeremy Clarkson and other parts of the media, so to them the Roewe will probably appear to be a cheap eastern version of what was already a bad car. If the Chinese do decide to sell it here then I reckon they have to get it right first time because the media will not give them a second chance.

Bas
I agree entirely Bas...
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2006, 22:35   #63
Simon
Banned

-

Agree with M47Rman about the looks. Interior is alright, but does hark at the new 5 series, as does the revised rear end. Front and middle look quite nice, though, especially in the "Premium" version.

I'm not going to hold my breath over the launch of the new Rover (or however its now named), like many I will wait and see what SAIC can come up with and if they can deliver the goods.

On a purely nostalgic and patriotic sense I will always love the Rover 75 and the MG ZT. They are British designed. British built.

And there's that word again "British"....

That word changes everything.

Need I say more?
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2006, 12:45   #64
M47Rman
Avid contributor

2001 Rover 75 saloon 2.5 KV6 Conn SE Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon D View Post
Agree with M47Rman about the looks. Interior is alright, but does hark at the new 5 series, as does the revised rear end. Front and middle look quite nice, though, especially in the "Premium" version.

I'm not going to hold my breath over the launch of the new Rover (or however its now named), like many I will wait and see what SAIC can come up with and if they can deliver the goods.

On a purely nostalgic and patriotic sense I will always love the Rover 75 and the MG ZT. They are British designed. British built.

And there's that word again "British"....

That word changes everything.

Need I say more?
Absolutely!
Just to follow up on other coments made about the Chinese. I have no doubt, that the Chinese are succeeding, and will continue to. Indeed the computer I am writing this on was made in China! However the best way for them to do this is to develop their own products, not do rip off versions of other peoples designs (how many Chinese versions of the Cherokee are there?). In this way their products, and the companies that produce them will gain the respect that they deserve (or not). At the moment to me they just look like a load of rip off merchants. After all who would not be interested in a high quality, sharp looking, bargain priced motor car?
Still couldn't replace my 75 though!
Andy
Old 12th December 2006, 12:52   #65
Ken
Busy doing nothing!

My pc is also Chinese, the keyboard is confusing but the young lady that came with it is very helpful

Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2006, 20:59   #66
JP53
I really should get out more.......

2004 Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE saloon. 'Eliza'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourerfogey View Post
Hello Zeb

Bas

What worries me is if we get a Chinese version of Jeremy Clarkson Having said that, I'm sure that the Chinese government would have him run over by a tank if he bad mouthed their car industry in the same way as the British version did

"Eliza ... Where the devil are my slippers?"
JP53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2006, 21:12   #67
markperkins
Regular poster

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoiseur SE Automatic

Interesting reading on this thread.

I have a real regard for this car; but the latest news seems to indicate that we may wait until 2008 for the imports to the UK.
I imagine that putting dealerships in place may take quite a while, if it's to be done well.
Probably worth the wait.
markperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2006, 21:45   #68
rockydo

Quote:
Originally Posted by majedm75 View Post
Hi,
Check these pages from the one of the main French Rover / Land Rover dealers concerning the Roewe 750.

http://www.rover.fr/roewe/saic-roewe.php

Regards,
Majed
looks good would like to see that rear end with a zt facelift front .. although it dont quite look so british, i like it
rockydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2006, 12:42   #69
tourerfogey
Banned

In this week's Auto Express there is a piece on the Chinese built Brilliance BS6 which is the first Chinese built car to hit the roads of Europe, and the UK in January. It's a large saloon and said to be the sort of car that will compete with the Roewe 75.

Quotes from the piece include:-

'Cheap looking plastics, questionable wood trim and lacklustre build quality let down the interior trim' and the dash looks 'something from the eighties'

'5 speed box has vague shift action'

'Equipment levels leave alot to be desired'

'in the Euro NCAP crash testing programme the BS gained only 2 stars - with some serious concerns being raised about side impact protection'

'Brilliance BS is a massive let down'

'It falls behind rivals in every area'

Estimated price is £15k (Roewe 75 estimated to start at £17K)

Will the Roewe fair any better?
tourerfogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2006, 18:55   #70
pondweed
This is my second home

Waiter, Waiter! I seem to have a Roomster in my drive...

makes me now think that tourer prices are going to rise, and thus that tourer is going to be the true eventual classic - chinese will never get around to estates, although this saloon will no doubt get over here by personal import if not offically... to be a curious blend of rubbish and massive improvement, no doubt.
has anyone any info about SAIC and tourer body...?
pondweed is offline   Reply With Quote