Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th November 2008, 19:45   #1
rlundgren

MG ZT 190 facelift saloon

Default ZT190 Woes - poss. alarm/electric fault!

Evening all - I joined the club last week and already I need to look for help! It's been a good week so far - discovered the thermostat is leaking, found that the boot is wet again, then just to top it the message centre keeps telling me that a door is open - any help/suggestions will be gratefully received. I opened the car yesterday morning and the msg display showed that the alarm had been activated. Started up and all ok. Went to it last night and the same again - alarm had activated. Started up and the msg display told me that the rear offside door is open when all doors etc are shut. The interior light kept coming on in time with the door open message and flickered so much that in the end I switched the interior lights on permanently whilst driving and turned them off when I left it overnight. Started the car this morning and again, the same happens - this time the interior lights stay off. I've cleared the boot and some of the water looks to have been coming in along the bottom edge of the seal, in the middle. The rear nearside light also looked to have been letting water by. I've put sealant around the rear light cluster 'gasket' and along the seam under the boot seal so fingers crossed that may help there. My main problem is that I am still getting the door open msg. I thought that maybe the electrics in the boot were wet so have had a fan heater on them gently to dry up any moisture. Has anybody had the same error msg? I'm suspecting tha alarm as the red indicator LED on the dash is now blinking differently to normal when I lock the car. (Slow flashes rather than the normally very fast flashing). How does the rear door indicate that it is closed/open? There's no plunger switch so I presume it works from the lock? I haven't yet checked the battery level but nothing has indicated that it is low - just a thought as to whether a low charge would manifest itself this way?
Any help would be great - thanks very much.
R
rlundgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2008, 19:48   #2
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Welcome along

Before you do anything else, check that the ECU isn't sitting in water. It live in the plenum chamber on the passenger side. Have a search and you should find instructions on how to check.

Also post up your location, as there may be someone near by who can assist you.
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2008, 20:13   #3
rlundgren

Cheers David - willdo, on both counts and I'll post the result.
R
Old 12th November 2008, 20:37   #4
rt2
Banned

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5 connoisseur se in moonstone manual

The interior lights are controlled by the body control unit which resides behind the glove box.
rt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2008, 20:45   #5
afcbadam
Gets stuck in

2004 MG ZS 180

do you have the big message centre or the basic one. if its the basic one the door open sign is likley to be the bonnet pin

www.themgzs.co.uk

Inner wing open cone
Oil catch tank
Janspeed cat back
Janspeed de-cat
Reidy Re-mapped
afcbadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2008, 21:02   #6
Dave Goody
This is my second home

15 years of 75s & ZTs now an XTrail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlundgren View Post
Cheers David - willdo, on both counts and I'll post the result.
R
Where in Essex are you? I'm in Danbury, nr Chelmsford, can have a look if local Dave

When I was a kid I was scared of earwigs because I thought they actually lived in your ears. I was even more terrified of cockroaches!
Dave Goody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2008, 23:55   #7
David3807
Posted a thing or two

2002 R75 Conn SE 2.5l Auto Tourer, 2001 R75 Conn SE 2.5 Auto Saloon

On the rear door on the inside of the trailing edge there are two rubber stops, one just below lock height the other at the bottom.

Wonder if screwing/unscrewing these stops by one turn might cure the problem since the car is certainly showing all the right signs for when a door is not shut properley - message centre door open sign, courtesy lights coming on and locking LED flashing at a far slower rate when locking tried.
Wouldnt be surprised of the horn was giving a quick beep when locking as well.

My simple theory is if adjusting the stops works for boot lids why not doors ??

And its a no cost option
David3807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2008, 13:20   #8
Moonstone
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

The door latches have built-in microswitches which can go a bit funny at this time of year! One of mine had a similar problem, which is cured (probably temporarily) with a bit of WD40. If adjustment doesn't work, you could try that.

While the BCU thinks the door is open, the courtesy lights can be disabled by holding on the main switch for 5 seconds. You don't need to keep them on while driving!
Moonstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2008, 12:41   #9
rlundgren

Thanks very much for all the replies - they are much appreciated. Night shifts are keeping me from spending time on the car at the moment but I will post any updates as and when it is resolved. I have checked the plenum chamber and that was dry thankfully. The alarm indicator started to operate normally for a couple of days but has now gone back to the slow flashing. I thought that the locks may be causing the problem with an in-built sensor as mentioned in the reply si I'll try the WD40. The interior lights now don't come on when the doors are opened. I thought that that had happened of its own volition but maybe I had pressed the switch for 5+ secs? I remember reading about that feature but until the thread reply I had forgotten all about it. Thanks for your comments - all helpful. I'll update asap. R
Old 16th November 2008, 12:58   #10
Departed
Retired

--

I've recently had a problem similar. Went to take the car into town on a frosty morning and it told me the passenger door was open. Cured itself when the car warmed up. I guess it will return with the next cold spell.

The switch inside the latch must be sticking. Not had a look to see if it's fixable but a replacement from fleabay may be needed.

Interestingly had a similar problem on my Audi, only drivers door, and only when hot.
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote