Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th April 2019, 16:09   #1
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.5 V6 auto

Default Exhaust excessive noise - anyone tried this?

I'm one of the many who have got (at least) a replacement rear silencer, which is a pattern part (not original Rover). Thus I have lost the quiet ride that the original had. Car is a Mk1 2.5 KV6 Connie btw. I got it last December as an excellent replacement for my last one which dumped its oil, but that too had a similar noise problem. On Thursday I had a look & listen underneath, and tbh I couldn't really see a problem with the exhaust, but there is a bit of a drone from the rear silencer.
I found this on ebay - plenty of alternatives - which seems to be a wrap on outer tape for exhausts, with heat dispersal properties (for racing), but also acts to quieten exhausts. I am wondering if this is a viable option worth doing to our silencers, perhaps even the pipe too?
Any thoughts or experiences anyone?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Roll-Du...sAAOSwmphaLh1b
StewartIngram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2019, 18:11   #2
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartIngram View Post
I'm one of the many who have got (at least) a replacement rear silencer, which is a pattern part (not original Rover). Thus I have lost the quiet ride that the original had. Car is a Mk1 2.5 KV6 Connie btw. I got it last December as an excellent replacement for my last one which dumped its oil, but that too had a similar noise problem. On Thursday I had a look & listen underneath, and tbh I couldn't really see a problem with the exhaust, but there is a bit of a drone from the rear silencer.
I found this on ebay - plenty of alternatives - which seems to be a wrap on outer tape for exhausts, with heat dispersal properties (for racing), but also acts to quieten exhausts. I am wondering if this is a viable option worth doing to our silencers, perhaps even the pipe too?

How is this going to quieten a noisy exhaust, I cannot see it myself.!
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2019, 18:41   #3
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.5 V6 auto

That is why I'm asking! But, having read through the descriptions of the products on a number of ebay items, I can accept that it does work - but is it in the right way for what I'm looking for? Presumably the noise within the pipe/silencer is muffled by the extra thickness of absorbent wadding on the outside. Various descriptions of its use refer to m/cycle use in "taming" noisy bikes. There also seem to be "inserts" which can be pushed into the silencer, to better redirect the sound into the muffles of the box.
I'm no expert, just wondering what works and how well? I was idly thinking, before I searched, about the adding of double glazing to a house window to counteract traffic noise (& that works), so wondered if there was a way of wrapping something round the outside of the exhaust system to quieten it more..
StewartIngram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2019, 18:49   #4
Bullnose75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer 2.0 V6 LPG

Guess as the original rear silencers were double skinned and I guess aftermarket ones are single skinned adding exhaust wrap might quieten things a bit. I'd only try it if the new rear silencer you have is stainless though as exhaust wrap has a tendency to hold moisture,more so under rear of car than on exhaust manifolds (headers)at front of car where it's normally used,making mild steel exhaust parts rust quicker than normal.
Wear gloves,overalls etc if you do use exhaust wrap or you'll be itching/scratching for ages ! I was after wrapping the headers on my V8 with it
Bullnose75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2019, 06:28   #5
Chuckles
Gets stuck in

NOW a Club Tourer was 1999 - 75 2.0Ltr Connoisseur SE petrol Saloon

I had a similar noisy exhaust on my 1963 P5 Rover generally due to it being stainless. I strapped on a heavy Cast iron rod to the pipe and that worked by reducing the droning. I feel that you may be experiencing similar. The OEM rear box is very heavy and as mentioned earlier double skinned. My Connie rear box has had the outer skin rusted away for a few years but still passes the MOT as there are no leaks.
Using the bandage you have found is more toward heat insulation so has minimal sound insulation, I fitted some to a header with that effect, however I would suggest using copious amounts of exhaust cement not only to help adhesion but also to give a bit of weather proofing.
Good Luck!
Membership #1896
Don't take life so seriously.... it is not permanent!
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2019, 07:39   #6
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullnose75 View Post
Guess as the original rear silencers were double skinned and I guess aftermarket ones are single skinned adding exhaust wrap might quieten things a bit. I'd only try it if the new rear silencer you have is stainless though as exhaust wrap has a tendency to hold moisture,more so under rear of car than on exhaust manifolds (headers)at front of car where it's normally used,making mild steel exhaust parts rust quicker than normal.
Wear gloves,overalls etc if you do use exhaust wrap or you'll be itching/scratching for ages ! I was after wrapping the headers on my V8 with it
AND, a mask over you nose and mouth! I was coughing for days after wrapping my motorbike exhaust headers.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2019, 07:55   #7
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullnose75 View Post
Guess as the original rear silencers were double skinned and I guess aftermarket ones are single skinned adding exhaust wrap might quieten things a bit.
A large part of the original pipework was also double skinned
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2019, 10:55   #8
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartIngram View Post

That exhaust wrap is for header pipes and front pipes. Not intended for wrapping round silencer boxes btw. The only thing that will succeed in doing is to hasten the rusting of your silencer box by retaining moisture.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2019, 11:44   #9
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
How is this going to quieten a noisy exhaust, I cannot see it myself.!
I would imagine IF it did work, I imagine it would work by dampening the noise/vibration, but as Avulon says, as it would be cooler than the manifold and under engine pipework, it would lead to a lot of moisture retention.

I wonder if extending the tail pipes a little would reduce droning. The pipes on a 75 do not extend past the bumper, and it makes me think that the tail pipe length could different on aftermarket ones. With the exhaust resonating behind the bumper. I had an old piece of plastic pipe which I clamped to my mother's droning exhaust, using two screws through it as a clamp. It worked a little, well at least until the first speedbump lol. But in her car, it partially proved my theory (it only reduced it, didnt eliminate).

Chuckles also mentioned a point that should help at least. By welding a heavy piece of material to the box, would help to dampen sound and vibration.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2019, 12:27   #10
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

from my experience with Wrap , I had my whole 4 branch exhaust wrapped on my lil Fiat, to try to combat underbonnet heat .

It seems to accelerate corrosion of the pipes , and it also absorbs damp during the cold/wet evenings.

And when you start up you get clouds of steam for a short while

Took it all off after a couple of weeks & still got a roll left in my shed .

C.
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote