Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 7th July 2010, 22:24   #1
AURORA MG
Banned

(EX)-ZT-T190SE in Aurora.

Unhappy Bad Example B.S.M. Driver.

Whilst driving up the M1 on Saturday afternoon to MG Saloon Day in Staffordshire I overtook a BSM driving instructor in his Fiat 500. He was in the inside lane & I was in lane 2. My wife said hey look at him talking on his mobile phone

A short while later he flew past me in excess of the speed limit & still on his phone. I couldn't catch him up to get his number!!
Old 7th July 2010, 22:58   #2
Ragman
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE

I'd like to be surprised but sadly I'm not, seen some awful driving from driving instructors when on their own - think the worst 2 are, reversing round a roundabout and wrong way up a one way street
Old 7th July 2010, 23:49   #3
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora ZT-T View Post
Whilst driving up the M1 on Saturday afternoon to MG Saloon Day in Staffordshire I overtook a BSM driving instructor in his Fiat 500. He was in the inside lane & I was in lane 2. My wife said hey look at him talking on his mobile phone

A short while later he flew past me in excess of the speed limit & still on his phone. I couldn't catch him up to get his number!!
Are Fiat 500's that fast? I dare not think that the converse is true

Driving instructors in my area, in the driving seat, are some of the worst drivers!! I think that they are trained to adopt the policy of... "Do as I say, not what I do"

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Old 8th July 2010, 04:27   #4
Frank Incensed
Ex 75 Owner

75 Tourerless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragrad View Post
Driving instructors in my area, in the driving seat, are some of the worst drivers!! I think that they are trained to adopt the policy of... "Do as I say, not what I do"
I live on a test route and regularly see pupils being taught to reverse round corners and do three point turns in places that I would consider too dangerous or too likely to seriously inconvenience another driver. But then I still believe the safest way to remain stationary is in neutral with the handbrake on, so what do I know? If you're awake and watching what's happening it doesn't delay moving off.
Old 2nd August 2010, 06:58   #5
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

no wonder there are so many bad drivers on the roads if the instuctors are driving that way ..all the rear ends smashes are due to being taught to drive by breaking late and not using the gears to take a bit of speed off the car when approaching traffic lights crossings and jjuntions
Old 2nd August 2010, 07:48   #6
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissyboy View Post
no wonder there are so many bad drivers on the roads if the instuctors are driving that way ..all the rear ends smashes are due to being taught to drive by breaking late and not using the gears to take a bit of speed off the car when approaching traffic lights crossings and jjuntions

I beg to differ with you Pupils are not taught to "Brake late"and the reason pupils are not taught to use the gears to slow down is because modern cars do have more efficient brakes and therefore work better.Early cars brakes were not as good and required "assistance" from the gear box to help slow down the car. And for you to say the reason that there are so many bad drivers around and rear end smashes because they are taught in the way you describe is a very cavalier attiude.Pupils are taught the art of anticipation and try to forsee what is going to happen in front of them.

I do not excuse the alleged offence of the BSM instructor using his phone while driving but what speed was the OP doing to "trying to catch" the Fiat 500.Its not always "Driving Instructors" who drive badly You should wittness some of the outrageous manouvers other drivers (and I use the term loosley) to get infront of a learner pupil

Number 6 ADI (retired)

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Old 2nd August 2010, 07:52   #7
Number 6
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora ZT-T View Post

Are you certain that it was an Approved Driving Instructor and not a mechanic on a test drive after a service or some other reason???????

Old 2nd August 2010, 08:10   #8
Loki
Regular poster

R75 Connoisseur Saloon CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
I beg to differ with you Pupils are not taught to "Brake late"and the reason pupils are not taught to use the gears to slow down is because modern cars do have more efficient brakes and therefore work better.Early cars brakes were not as good and required "assistance" from the gear box to help slow down the car. And for you to say the reason that there are so many bad drivers around and rear end smashes because they are taught in the way you describe is a very cavalier attiude.Pupils are taught the art of anticipation and try to forsee what is going to happen in front of them.
Have to beg to differ too.. Since I only learnt to drive, what 13 years ago, there was nothing more harrowing as a new driver than being behind an "older driver" who insisted on slowing down with the gears.. The brake lights give you an indication that the person in front is slowing down for whatever reason. It's so easy to miss a gradual decrease in speed by the car in front without that indication for a new driver, as your perception and experience just isn't there yet.. I had a couple of near misses, and I suspect a lot of mature drivers who are rear ended by new drivers wouldn't have had their brake light illuminated if a full crash inspection was performed..
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:46   #9
savvy
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

I use gear braking just so I can be in the right gear for any given speed.
It's also more fuel efficient
Old 2nd August 2010, 18:27   #10
Number 6
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvy View Post
I use gear braking just so I can be in the right gear for any given speed.
It's also more fuel efficient
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! If you look ahead and "anticipate" what is going on ahead you should always be in the right gear and at the right speed

Closed Thread