Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th January 2019, 21:33   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Backing up outlook emails

Am I right in thinking the file outlook.pst holds all my emails (sent, received, drafts, and saved emails) and email folders and holds them for all email addresses I and my wife own?

SO much advice on the net on how to back outlook up. I just wish my pc could read then it would know where what tab, options and boxes it should display as all the methods I found don't work

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2019, 14:06   #2
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Your first pragraph is correct - the PST file contains everything.

For backing up, why not just export to file? This then gives you the option to import teh back-up into other email clients. This is how I do my outlook back-ups.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2019, 14:51   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

I don't seem to be able to export to a drive, just somewhere in outlook

macafee2
Old 12th January 2019, 22:09   #4
SideValve
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Do you back up the whole PC? If not I'd recommend doing so. If you back up the PC you'll have a backup of your mail, all your pictures documents etc.

If you just want to back up the PST, close Outlook then find the file (if you can't find it, reopen Outlook and check the location via File, Account Settings, Data files) then copy it to somewhere eg. a USB disk.

Or, from within Outlook, File, Open & Export, Import/Export, Export to File, Outlook Datafile (pst), select your account (eg. [email protected]) then browse to wherever you want to backup to. Repeat for each account.
The Story So Far: Austin A35, Morris Oxford, Triumph Herald, Mini 850, Mini 1000, Austin Allegro, MG Midget, MGB GT, Rover SD1 2600, Austin Maxi, Rover 200, Rover 825, Rover 800, Bedford TK, Range Rover 3.9 efi, Rover 400, Rover 100, MGF, Rover 25, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.0 V6, MGF 1.8i, Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 V6 Auto, Morris Eight Series E, Morris Minor 1275.
SideValve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2019, 08:11   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideValve View Post
Do you back up the whole PC? If not I'd recommend doing so. If you back up the PC you'll have a backup of your mail, all your pictures documents etc.

If you just want to back up the PST, close Outlook then find the file (if you can't find it, reopen Outlook and check the location via File, Account Settings, Data files) then copy it to somewhere eg. a USB disk.

Or, from within Outlook, File, Open & Export, Import/Export, Export to File, Outlook Datafile (pst), select your account (eg. [email protected]) then browse to wherever you want to backup to. Repeat for each account.
thank you Sidevalve. I back up the whole of my Documents which incorporates pictures and music. Downloads also gets backed up but that is a separate folder

macafee2