Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th September 2019, 09:57   #21
BoroRover
Gets stuck in

Rover 75

I for one, really don't appreciate the vitriol that the current protestations, mainly from teens/early 20's that my generation destroyed the environment
Our milk came in glass bottles, rinsed and returned, not throwaway plastic bottles.
We returned our glass bottles , especially lemonade, and all our soft drinks, Coca-Cola etc came in glass bottles, not throwaway plastic.
Our sweets came in paper bags, as did a lot of our groceries.
Our fish and chips came wrapped in newspaper, not throwaway polyestyrene containers. Pizza and burger boxes weren't an issue, we didn't have them.
We walked to school and back...in all weathers, not in Mummy's 4x4.

So maybe they should think of who is having the greatest impact on the environment. Perhaps starting with helping to clear the mountain of plastic waste they leave after their rally's, and protest marches.

Hypocrites.
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BoroRover For This Useful Post:
Old 25th September 2019, 10:30   #22
Darcydog
This is my second home

MG ZT-T

Thanked 2,412 Times in 1,625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Greg View Post
One thing is for sure, whatever anyone thinks about her is that she is getting an awful lot of attention and coverage. Can't help but heighten awareness of the subject
Agreed. But many see the cynical use of a child as an indication that the Alarmist rhetoric now bears little similarities with the actual science.

Climate Scientists such as Prof Peter Ridd simply states that the Alarmist statements about the Great Barrier Reef are exaggerations and do not fit with his 30 years of research on the GBR and look what happens to him!

He gets vilified, and ultimately fired from his job for simply stating an opinion BASED ON SCIENCE!

He took his University employer (James Cook University Australia) to court and won on all 28 counts! The court awards Professor Peter Ridd Aus$1.2 million - which is quite something!!

Michael (Hockey stick) Mann recently lost a case where he tried to shut up another Scientist who questioned hi data and conclusions and he lost too!!

Michael Mann could not or would not present the data for analysis (breaking all the laws of science) and in so doing broke the Law of the Land as well!!

And these are just two examples of where REAL SCIENCE is challenging the hype.

Faced with such pressure the Activists switch to the raw emotion of a 16 year old girl.

Yes! - I too think change is imminent. It may take a while - but people are questioning the tactics and the truth being presented to them.

Last edited by Darcydog; 25th September 2019 at 13:22..
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2019, 10:39   #23
Darcydog
This is my second home

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoroRover View Post
I for one, really don't appreciate the vitriol that the current protestations, mainly from teens/early 20's that my generation destroyed the environment
Our milk came in glass bottles, rinsed and returned, not throwaway plastic bottles.
We returned our glass bottles , especially lemonade, and all our soft drinks, Coca-Cola etc came in glass bottles, not throwaway plastic.
Our fish and chips came wrapped in newspaper, not throwaway polyestyrene containers. Pizza and burger boxes weren't an issue, we didn't have them.

So maybe they should think of who is having the greatest impact on the environment. Perhaps starting with helping to clear the mountain of plastic waste they leave after their rally's, and protest marches.

Hypocrites.
Agreed! - makes me laugh how Glastonbury went “green” to save the planet apparently and of course most of the acts flew in from other countries and those attending slept in plastic throw away tents that they left behind when it was all over.
Old 25th September 2019, 10:54   #24
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoroRover View Post

Hypocrites.
but did we not grow up and start to drive the 4x4, use plastic bottles to excess and order our pizzas and burgers in a polystyrene box
The children of yesterday are todays adults.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2019, 11:05   #25
Darcydog
This is my second home

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
but did we not grow up and start to drive the 4x4, use plastic bottles to excess and order our pizzas and burgers in a polystyrene box
The children of yesterday are todays adults.

macafee2
Very true Ian - and I as a child remember being scared witless about Global Cooling in the 1970’s. - then Margaret Thatcher invented Global Warming so we would no longer need coal mines - or Coal Miners!!
Old 25th September 2019, 14:44   #26
wraymond
occidit omnmes emojis

75 Auto 2.5 SE

I can remember sustainably recycling glass jam jars in 1948. Yes, as children we climbed over the Rag 'n Bone man's wall (Old Swan, Liverpool, don't suppose it's there now) to rescue a bag-full from his salvage pile then go in the front for the penny back on each of them. Sustainably? Oh yes. You could do it over and over again.
Old 25th September 2019, 15:00   #27
Darcydog
This is my second home

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
I can remember sustainably recycling glass jam jars in 1948. Yes, as children we climbed over the Rag 'n Bone man's wall (Old Swan, Liverpool, don't suppose it's there now) to rescue a bag-full from his salvage pile then go in the front for the penny back on each of them. Sustainably? Oh yes. You could do it over and over again.
Remember Hyacinth Bucket in Keeping up Appearances? - she handed her personally cleaned milk bottles to the milkman with instructions that she wanted those same ones back in the morning!!
Old 25th September 2019, 15:04   #28
wraymond
occidit omnmes emojis

75 Auto 2.5 SE

OH yes! Far from Liverpool though, possibly Lytham?
Old 2nd October 2019, 06:10   #29
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Many find Greta's performance cringe worthy. She is obviously a troubled young person. She should receive help, not dish out panic to easily influenced other youngsters.
What has the world come to, if immature insecure and troubled youths start setting the agenda? Total madness.
She is a front of the climate change crowd, which again is driven by some of the richest people on this earth. They are rich, and the tend to stay that way, by imposing taxes and regulations benefiting their interests at our expense.
It is easy to preach to the peasants from the comfort of your tax deductible air conditioned private jet. It is easy to pay and sway politicians to introduce laws that will serve their purpose, especially if you can panic their voters into agreement.
Nobody wondered how she got so much exposure in the media? Up for a Nobel prize? You must be joking.!
She is right, she should be in school.
This hysteria started with "global cooling" when indeed temperatures dropped, then we got higher temperatures and they switched to "global warming" and now, just to be on the safe side, it is "climate change", covering all eventualities. And yet climate always has, and always will, change. Everything moves in cycles.
Do humans affect the climate? Well, let's put it this way, the total human consumption of energy per year! equals the total influx of energy from the sun in one hour!
Climate change is becoming a new religion, with everything that implies in terms of group pressure, blind faith, repression and lack of science.
The Spanish Inquisition could become an apt analogy.

And yet there are so many pressing issues that could do with our attention.

Greta is an exponent of Swedish society in general, which seems fully intent on committing collective suicide. A remarkable achievement for a country that was once vikings.

In years to come, we might well start measuring insanity in Thunbergs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8455KEDitpU

Last edited by kaiser; 2nd October 2019 at 06:12..
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kaiser For This Useful Post:
Old 2nd October 2019, 15:14   #30
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Moonstone Connie / Black Club SE

uel/oil/air filter service, CD-changer fitted, brake wear sensors, aircon regas, sunroof drains done, bonnet catch greased & adjusted, “bonnet open” sensor replaced, bonnet cable divider block secured.
121k: Rear brake disks/pads/backplates – Nov 2014.
127k: Full service incl PCV/pollen filters, EGR valve cleaned.
Monthly plenum checks - always bone dry! Redex every 6 months.
Remap to come
!
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote