Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th March 2020, 20:50   #10991
Parsnip
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
Decided to change the rear passenger side door lock as it had stopped unlocking on the fob. Changed it for another one in around 30 mins only to find the same fault persisted.
So, wait for it, removed the lock assy stripped out the motors from the assembly, replaced the brushes on the faulty motor and reassembled the door lock.
Refitted to the car and it works perfectly.
Well pleased to have cracked this one Not for the feint hearted
Got the same problem with rear drivers side not unlocking on the fob. Pity I am feint hearted. But I'm sure Jules will sort it tomorrow.
Parsnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2020, 22:12   #10992
alphaeagle
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi, MG ZT CDTi

So today I installed the fully charged battery and test the Sunvisor...Hey presto all working....
So as I had a bit of time I installed a second horn on the car today ...back to the full sound she should have....

Also found out the she also had a new Radiator fan and the gold resistor as well...Happy days..

Now for the full leather interior I need to get.

Rover 75 CDTi Copperleaf

Today is just yesterdays tomorrow.....
alphaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2020, 22:59   #10993
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Hi John. you may or may not know I have done extensive research on improving Vis motors on the KV6. This involves removing all the old innards from the said Vis motors and replacing with new. This includes the actual motors which just happen to have the same brushes ( located in the end cap of the motors) as the motors in the door locks. being a horder I never disposed of the old motors
It is a procedure a few of us have attempted before and it really is a pain with so many clips that want to break as soon as you look at them and a washer crimped to a rivet that is not easy to remove.
Add this to the myriad of springs and gearing that is contained within the lock we decided as a whole it was just more practical to change the lock.

I am happy to send you free of charge a few endcaps with good brushes in if you fancy a challenge

It is time consuming and fiddly.

Top tip@ Your camera is your best friend when stripping the old motor down.

Edit: I have never tried to check a door lock off the car to see if it was a good working one i'm afraid

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2020, 23:00   #10994
dattrike
Posted a thing or two

V6 2ltr auto in copperleaf +CDTI Auto in Royal Blue on loan to Son

Quote:
Decided to change the rear passenger side door lock as it had stopped unlocking on the fob. Changed it for another one in around 30 mins only to find the same fault persisted.

So, wait for it, removed the lock assy stripped out the motors from the assembly, replaced the brushes on the faulty motor and reassembled the door lock.

Same as the VIS motors Dave?

Duh too slow just seen your next post
Old 18th March 2020, 08:00   #10995
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Dave that is some achievement!
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2020, 09:45   #10996
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsnip View Post
Got the same problem with rear drivers side not unlocking on the fob. Pity I am feint hearted. But I'm sure Jules will sort it tomorrow.
Hi Francis.
I am sure Jules will change out the lock/actuator for you if he as one, but I doubt he will do what Dave (Stocktake) as done to solve his lock situation, time consuming & very fiddly.

PS nice one Dave

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2020, 10:40   #10997
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

I just wish that someone would come up with a way to convert back to manual locks as back in the 60's. Never had a problem with those! Driver power! get in the car, then contort yourself to each of the lock levers/buttons that neeeded opening and "done"!

It seems that even the "bulletproof" Volvos are having lock motor problems too. They break and you can't get in or out!!! Safety problem but Volvo are reluctant to admit the problem! You have to destroy the door cards to fix them!!!
Old 18th March 2020, 10:50   #10998
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Dave.
Hope you & Marina are keep well, and taking precautions regarding this COVID19 as you most likely know the Nano meet as been cancelled, so may not see you for a while.

Great to here you have finally sorted the locks out I know you have tried a few times, if there was anyone going to solve it then that man was going to be you.

I looked into it a few years back after talking to you at the meet, & as you say just getting to the open & closing motors was a nightmare after taking apart a few it become a little easier but those clips can still snap.

Will you be putting up an how to with photos ? for those whom have not attempted it before, I was going to when I did my attempt of getting to the motor but decided it was not worth unless the final product/out solved the unlocking/locking, which you have now done

A few snap shots

As you say not for the faint hearted and certainly not easy by any means, once again great work Dave.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2020, 11:59   #10999
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
...... Will you be putting up an how to with photos ? ......

Have a look here Steve (post 1) - https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...placement.html. The actuator in his first pic looks identical to the one in your pic above. Only the motor numbers are different.
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2020, 12:48   #11000
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Seen that before and it is a great how to, i see everyone of the clips broke I took some advice from Steve here and made sure they are warm
If you decide to replace the motors be careful as the two motors rotate in opposite directions .

I've just done the other one this morning and taken a few pictures. I chose to replace the brushes because i have some, the commutator is what I have found generally in good condition and there was no wondering if i needed a clockwise or anticlockwise rotation or the RPM or MA draw of the motor.
Most of the lock replacement motors which are the same spec as the Vis motor motors are too fast and draw around 120MA ( We need around 50-60MA) which, as i found out in the early days of Vis repairs absolutely ragged the gearing into oblivion very quickly.

Stripped out with no broken clips

One good motor (Lock motor) and one bad motor (Unlock motor)

Box of Brushes

Replacement brush

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote