Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st March 2018, 00:26   #1
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts
Default Red Arrow crash.

A Red Arrow Hawk has crashed at RAF Valley killing an engineer.Information so far says the pilot ejected and is in hospital.Strange that the engineer didn't also eject,I'm sure he would be fully trained in the procedure.
VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2018, 01:39   #2
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Shoreham springs to mind from what I've read.

However witness reports do not appear to be consistent and therefore maybe not reliable so my thoughts might be unfounded. One report of two ejections but others say one and wreckage would appear to show that only one seat fired. Another reports canopy coming off in ejection sequence but I would doubt if that happened ... it certainly shouldn't have.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2018, 13:57   #3
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
Shoreham springs to mind from what I've read.

However witness reports do not appear to be consistent and therefore maybe not reliable so my thoughts might be unfounded. One report of two ejections but others say one and wreckage would appear to show that only one seat fired. Another reports canopy coming off in ejection sequence but I would doubt if that happened ... it certainly shouldn't have.
Not much point in speculating about the cause but I think it highly unlikely that there are any similarities to Shoreham at all.

The cause will become clear only after the accident investigation lot have done their job

It is very sad that a young engineer has lost his life in this. Thoughts with his/her parents/family

Chris
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2018, 14:53   #4
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
Hi. Wasn't the ejector seat manufacturers taken to task over the death of another pilot after the canopy was ejected and the seat triggered while the aircraft was still on the ground?Regards
Steve
The canopy wasn't ejected Steve but yes there was an uncommanded ejection and the proverbial subsequently hit the fan. An appalling incident which should never have happened but I believe measures were undertaken to mitigate against a repeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraeus View Post
Not much point in speculating about the cause but I think it highly unlikely that there are any similarities to Shoreham at all. The cause will become clear only after the accident investigation lot have done their job. It is very sad that a young engineer has lost his life in this. Thoughts with his/her parents/family.Chris
I agree with the last couple of sentences Chris and my heart too goes out to those affected. Personally I would be more concerned if people did not show an interest in tragic events, it could just as easily imply a lack of empathy and feeling. No names have been mentioned and that to me is in keeping with the period of grace requested by the family of the deceased.

I read a report of a loop being performed and a subsequent low ejection, but as I mentioned previously reports so far might not be reliable.
Old 21st March 2018, 17:53   #5
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

I know a bloke in the RAF ground crew, the engineer who lost his life was one of his friends. From what he's heard, it was a bird strike. Unknown as to why the engineer didn't eject, apparently it can be set so each crew member has to select to eject themselves, or they both eject at the press of a button, but with a delay between the 2 so that they don't hit each other.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2018, 18:59   #6
tantallon
Gets stuck in

ROVER 75 SALOON

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude666 View Post
I know a bloke in the RAF ground crew, the engineer who lost his life was one of his friends. From what he's heard, it was a bird strike. Unknown as to why the engineer didn't eject, apparently it can be set so each crew member has to select to eject themselves, or they both eject at the press of a button, but with a delay between the 2 so that they don't hit each other.
A serving member of the armed forces should not be passing on any sort of information regarding any operational or non operational issues .Let alone the reasons for the incident which has resulted in a fatality .
tantallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2018, 21:10   #7
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

A tragic event whatever the cause, I’m glad the media are respecting the wishes of the family.
Old 22nd April 2018, 16:45   #8
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Stoicism is a good medicine for tragedy so nice to read that the Reds will be displaying with nine jets and not reverting to seven for the up-and-coming season. Mike Ling back as Red 3 as a replacement for David Stark who is still to recover from the incident at RAF Valley which sadly claimed the life of Jonathan Bayliss.
Old 11th October 2019, 20:54   #9
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Just read the SI and it is apparent that a practice engine failure after take off went wrong ... aircraft stalled during final turn back on to departing runway.
Old 12th October 2019, 17:49   #10
SideValve
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Very sad. The Hawks are old planes now, we think our Rovers are old at 20 but these are often half that age again. Makes you wonder if the exercise would have ended like this in a more modern aircraft.
Awful for the engineer (and his family). Pilots are well versed in cockpit drill and would have been very quick to react and eject. The engineer would have been just a passenger and probably didn't recognise that things had got critical till the final seconds when he would have had very little chance of escaping.
I also feel for the pilot. Practising a low level engine failure is obviously a very dangerous pastime. For most of us, if things go wrong at work the consequences aren't usually this tragic. As a Red Arrows pilot he would have been at the peak of his career. I hope the RAF gave him plenty of support.

If anyone wants to read the report its here: https://assets.publishing.service.go...cted-Final.pdf
The Story So Far: Austin A35, Morris Oxford, Triumph Herald, Mini 850, Mini 1000, Austin Allegro, MG Midget, MGB GT, Rover SD1 2600, Austin Maxi, Rover 200, Rover 825, Rover 800, Bedford TK, Range Rover 3.9 efi, Rover 400, Rover 100, MGF, Rover 25, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.0 V6, MGF 1.8i, Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 V6 Auto, Morris Eight Series E, Morris Minor 1275.
SideValve is offline   Reply With Quote