Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Photography Corner
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th August 2016, 11:58   #1
wullie480
This is my second home

Thanked 1,022 Times in 786 Posts
Default Any camera gurus?

Daughter is looking for a decent camera probably a slr one.
This is for her portfolio work on hair styles.
She's looked at Nikon cool pic B500 also cannon & Sony models but 'be not a clue what I'm looking for or what's best etc. Budget around £250 so if anyone does have some suggestions on whi model specs etc are best I'd be grateful.
Old 28th August 2016, 13:26   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wullie480 View Post
Daughter is looking for a decent camera probably a slr one.
This is for her portfolio work on hair styles.
She's looked at Nikon cool pic B500 also cannon & Sony models but 'be not a clue what I'm looking for or what's best etc. Budget around £250 so if anyone does have some suggestions on whi model specs etc are best I'd be grateful.
I am very out of touch on current ranges but, lighting is going to paramount for 'hairstyle shots' The B500 is not an SLR, rather a compact camera within an SLR style body. But crucially the flash is fixed, pointing forward, and that will create an issue with shadows when taking shots. A flash that allows her to 'bounce' (ie point it) it to the ceiling would be highly desirable.

First question is, is she interested in photography and wishes to use the camera for other subjects?

If yes, I fear your budget may not be sufficient, however it is a substantial start, and rather than starting 'cheaper' to see how it goes,only to find you will be spending more than that sooner rather than later to get the level of photography she is looking for. Your budget though will go a long way to something more beneficial. Perhaps £400-£450.

If the answer would be 'no' , my favourite camera is a Samsung WB 250, although it is over 3 years old now. But the articulated flash is quite simply amazing! As well as the other features packed into it, from fully automatic, to fully manual (including focus!) . My own, I have a small piece of blu tac stuck to it always, to allow me to hold the flash back to point upwards (but it is small enough that you can hold it with your shutter finger) See image below

very simple to use, switch it to auto, and off you go, or to the other extreme, completely manual. Even remote control using a smartphone too. Small enough to put into a handbag, and use for nights out too.

Going to the other end of the spectrum, I would want to have an SLR, with an 18-55mm lens, and a separate flashgun. Buying used would be the way to go for this, to keep close to your budget. Something like a Canon 500d or 550dwith kit lens (18-55mm) and get something like a Jessops 360 flashgun to allow for bouncing off the ceiling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-3.jpg (81.9 KB, 74 views)

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2016, 13:34   #3
Phil-Hex
Gets stuck in

Typhoon ZT-T CDTi Bittersweet 135 TF

we have a Nikon D3200 which does great pics, around your budget, very easy to use on auto and would still give fab pics for her portfolio

we usually buy our cameras second hand and use the money saved to buy a better lens
Phil-Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2016, 14:20   #4
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE HIGHLINE TOURER MANUAL 2.5 V6

I'll just add that the Nikon looks to have no viewfinder which can be a problem shooting outside on bright days. Maybe she just wants to shoot inside so not a problem.

http://www.paulstickley.com/
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2016, 18:05   #5
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

I'm a canon user so I'm going to recommend a 400d or similar as an ideal starter unit. Have a look here
https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2016, 18:08   #6
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Thread moved for more specific coverage

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2016, 18:21   #7
electrocop
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

I would also recommend a Canon D-SLR (i have a 400D). They are very versatile, and if there is likely to be a growing interest in photography, the lenses are quite cheap and plentiful on the second-hand market.
I would also recommend Olympus models, such as the E500 - if buying used, they are quite a bit cheaper than the Canon equivalent but i have found the lenses to cost a lot more.
electrocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2016, 20:31   #8
Dansrockin
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT number 1 of 25 celestial!!

Have a look at the Sony alpha range of DSLRs. Often cheaper than the equivalent nikon or canon, but they can produce very nice pics. You could pick up an a200, a couple of lenses and a flash unit for less than £250 if you look around. It'll be more than adequate for starting out.
Dansrockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2016, 21:42   #9
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE HIGHLINE TOURER MANUAL 2.5 V6

You can add Nikon, Pentax and a few other manufacturers to that list. It is hard to buy a poor camera these days. A lot depends on how and where she wants to shoot the hairstyles. For a typical portrait the usual method would involve off camera flash. She may not want to get that involved so maybe on camera flash that can bounce of ceiling is ok. She may not want to use flash at all and maybe shoot outside (with or without flash).

Typical focal lengths for a portrait (I guess this is the type of shot she will be looking for) would be 50mm or 85mm or higher, even up to 200mm. But 50mm would be a good starter and is covered by most kit zoom lenses. (full frame equivalent)

Good advice from CLf above

Here is a shot with a 60mm lens on an APS-C sensor (sorry for all the Jargon) with one off camera flash outdoors. I tried this for the first time a few weeks ago so could be better. She is not meant to be modelling hair but you can see how the flash has lit her hair and put a catchlight in her eye.

I think this illustrates how much effect lighting can have . This maybe what she wants or maybe she wants not to bother so much with the light.

Portrait
by Paul Stickley, on Flickr

http://www.paulstickley.com/

Last edited by Rocket; 29th August 2016 at 22:12..
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote