Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th February 2014, 14:14   #1
GeraintUK
Passed Away

MG ZT-T 160

Default The Big Build - Complete finally ;)

Thought i'd do this as a new thread which puts all the ICE/Multimedia stuff together in one place.

Parts List
Radioguy WinCE Double Din head unit converted to blue backlighting by Coolcat
DVB-T Tuner
Reversing Camera
Sharkfin Roof Antenna (DVB-T, GSM, FM and Sat-Nav)
Sony Playstation 3
Lanzar Opti X5 Crossover and Line Driver. Remote Sub Control
3 MiFi Internet Wireless
DLS A2 Amp (Bridged into 1Ohm)
DLS A4 Amp (Drives front components and rear fill)
Focal PS165 Components (Front)
Focal PS165 Full Range (Rear)
Twin Focal PB30 12" Dual Coil Subwoofers in fibreglass custom sub box.

So that was the kit fitted, some has been with me many years. For example the DLS Amps have been in 5 cars over 10 years but they are competition class and still not come across any newer amps to compare to them.

Not much special here, but its one of Seans headunits showing it running the PS3 and also my internet testing. I use the PS3 over bluetooth to the MiFi Mobile Access Point.

I also ran a spare Video feed from the headunit. Normally for kids use in the back but as I haven't got any and the dogs aren't into the games it's there if I ever wanted to take a TV there Would be of use at times when i've been away camping at car shows etc (Via the PS3 and headunit it can give us games, movies, Bluray, DVD, TV and big screen internet)

Erm, where did this wire go ?

The Focal door speakers. These are the rears, full range version. The front components are identical apart from using a passive crossover (which I also fitted into the doors) and the tweeters which are fitted in the factory location (just required a 44mm hole cutter to enlarge the hole a little).

The Sharkfin aerial (again courtesy of Sean)
Only advice here is consider the way you run the cables. As I didn't want to go along the headlining, I ran out of length. Easily fixed though as the connectors are identical to Wireless Router antennas so I got them via ebay for about £4 each, but took nearly a month to get here.
Signal is rock solid now especially for the SatNav and the freeview DVB-T is very strong signal. Chalk and Cheese compared to internal stick on ones. The glass must really block a lot of signal out.

The Amp rack...........
"Just fits"
Quite pleased with the perspex I had made up so can show off the internals.

I ran the remote sub control and made it mount in the blanking plate that normally was boot release on mk1's etc.
I can now adjust the sub volume within hand reach. This is important as the WinCE head unit only has one pair of RCA out's so there is no head unit control of volume adjustment that you would get on say an Alpine head unit which would have 3 sets of RCA's for front, rear and sub.
It's no issue though as the Lanzar crossover gives superb control and it can increase line drive to 7V, even competition Alpines only go to 4V so this gives a lovely input into the DLS amps.

and finally the custom fibreglass sub box.
After lots of sanding to get it to the quality I wanted, I flocked the boot side.
Fitted internal illumination (Blue ambient to match everything else and a white strobe light via a sound to light interface so it flashes to the sub - yes i'm a child, lol)
I used carbon fibre film on the boot side with the port firing direct behind the arm rest after removing the rear ski hatch plate.
Use also of Speakon connectors which make the box quickly removeable. One is the speaker feeds and the other is power for the illumination.

That's it I think
How does it sound.
Stunning to be honest. It's not quite in the league of previous competition install I had but then again that had over £5k of equipment in it.
The next step up in quality would be quite an increase in cost for little noticeable benefit.
If I did put better speakers in then i'd likely be using fibreglass doorbuilds and then i'd use sound deadening in the doors.

Two problems to sort.
One rear door speaker sounds awful. I've either done the polarity the wrong way round, not mounted properly (vibration) or the speaker itself is faulty.
I've also got the good old favourite - Alternator whine. Perfect without engine running, but I get the whine that alters with RPM. Almost guaranteed it will be a bad earth but for now it can wait until the weather is better and I have my trusty sidekick come round as much quicker to sort with two people.

Now.......... back onto finishing my new headlights

Cheers
G
GeraintUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2014, 14:23   #2
YorksMG2013
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE & MG ZT 260

Default Sharkfin?

Hi there

That is one load of fun you've had putting that system together I would say?! lol

One question though, I thought the Sharkfin aerials were only applicable for radio and not DVB-T?

Cheers

Andrew
Now joined by the Blue Beast - MG ZT 260 #57 in Trophy Blue
YorksMG2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2014, 14:31   #3
GeraintUK
Passed Away

MG ZT-T 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorksMG2013 View Post
Hi there

That is one load of fun you've had putting that system together I would say?! lol

One question though, I thought the Sharkfin aerials were only applicable for radio and not DVB-T?

Cheers

Andrew
nope you can get sharks for all. They cost more as there is more internals for the more interfaces you want etc.
I got this from Sean for less than I could buy a bog standard FM one for on ebay.
Me and Coolcat got them and both of us are very impressed with the performance. The improvement of having antennas outside the car is significant.
Old 4th February 2014, 14:36   #4
Godfer
Posted a thing or two

Seafrost 75

Get over to The Hollow Tree and give us all a listen!!!!

A lovely Seafrost 1.8T
Godfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2014, 14:40   #5
Lates
This is my second home

Jaguar XE

Very nice install, loving the boot board plexy window :-p
Lates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2014, 15:03   #6
GeraintUK
Passed Away

MG ZT-T 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfer View Post
Get over to The Hollow Tree and give us all a listen!!!!
I was going to pop over this evening, but i have my first job interview in 6 months tomorrow so i need to prepare.

Want to fix that rear speaker before i let you listen to it
Old 4th February 2014, 15:06   #7
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

So how do you get a chest of draws in the back now then!

Not to my taste, but can appreciate the amount of work that you've put in!
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2014, 15:08   #8
Godfer
Posted a thing or two

Seafrost 75

Best of luck tomorrow...and congratulations on an excellent build. Can't wait to hear it.

A lovely Seafrost 1.8T
Godfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2014, 15:55   #9
Radioguy
Banned

None

Wow , Really Amazing !

good Luck with the Interview Geraint

And I have One Word

ANDROID

Man Sub Control ,Song Apps and players, etc would be amazing with that !
Radioguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2014, 18:35   #10
GeraintUK
Passed Away

MG ZT-T 160

as it's easy fit on the subwoofer via the Speakon connectors, I just pull the sub box out when I need the space

Sean - I have words and it begins with "newer version of Android" and then i'll consider it. Needs to be able to run upto date apps like Torque and then it's worthwhile for me. Until then, mine can do everything the Android can with a tidy interface

Cheers for the kind words about interview. Been a long six months out of work with health problems first and then not being able to find a role but I had two interviews due this week on the same day so it's like the number 7 bus
Fingers crossed it's as good in reality as the description and that they want me to undertake it

Ta
G