Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st January 2007, 18:09   #1
Andyb123
Loves to post

Rover 75 2L CDT Conn Se HiLine SATNAV

Unhappy unwell windows XP PC

Help needed.

I have stuffed my PC in a big way and am faced with the possibility that I may have to do a complete reformat of my HD and reinstall XP. Before I do this I am hoping that some one on here may be able to help answer a few questions before I go and do the deed. All because I tried to uninstall Norton products, I'll never use them again thats for sure.

1. Has any one ever used the Windows XP repair function, if yes what exactly does it do, do I loose all my email and favorites in IE6 for instance.

2. How do I save my IE favourites for reinstallation to IE after the new install of windows.

3. How do I save both my outlook express address book and all my current emails and associated folders.

At the moment I have a spare 5Gb HD set up with XP on it and am copying files accross that I want to keep, set up files and the likes.

I cannot run IE or Outlook from the slave drive, or can I is it possible.

Any help most greatfully recieved, I am on the wifes PC at the moment untill I fix mine.

Cheers to all who reply

Andy, the Windows numpty
Andyb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2007, 18:11   #2
Simon
Banned

-

What, exactly, have you done? Maybe we can help "undo" your doings?
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2007, 18:19   #3
Andyb123
Loves to post

Unhappy unwell PC

first of all I uninstalled Norton Antivirus followed by the rest of norton the suite of products. This left me with the messaage S32EVNT.dll missing along with a bit of other usless garabge that numpty's like me don't understand.

Then I tried to download the missing file, to no avail. Then I downloaded a prog that claimed to be able to fix the problem, this unfortunately really screwed up the PC and here I am.

On boot up I got a whole series of error messages, some to do with my graphics card (ATI drives missing), and various other dll's missing.

The PC would load to windows desktop but not run anything.

Have gon so far with the windows repair but stpped it at the point were it said, about to install windows.

And thats were I ammnow.

Cheers,

Simon.

A bit of a mess I fear.
Old 31st January 2007, 18:27   #4
Simon
Banned

-

The Windows Recovery Console should be able to restore everything back to how it was.

Do you have System Restore? Because you could try rolling back to a previous stable state. Theoretically, Norton should have created a new Restore Point just before it started to carry out the uninstall.

If you do not have System Restore then the recovery console should be able to re-install the missing Windows files. Your documents and settings should remain unaffected by doing this. You may lose recent temporary data such as Temporary Internet Files, Recently-access documents list and other temporary files which may cause a few hicups, but nothing to worry about.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2007, 18:32   #5
Andyb123
Loves to post

Unhappy sick PC

Hi Simon,

have tried to use the restore option but all I get is a blank white screen and the restore function fials to start. I do not have the recovery disk, have also looked at the recover console and quickly looked the other way as I could not see hoe to use this, looked like a load of DOS command prompts.

Is it possible to save my outlook address book without actually starting up outlook, same for IE with regards to the favourites.

Thanks for the patience on this one.

Cheers,

Andy
Old 31st January 2007, 20:38   #6
BMC123
Posted a thing or two

2004 1.8 Connoisseur SE, 1999 XJ8

ah.. I bet you took the 1st recovery option! (Press R for recovery console) ?

restart the computer with the CD in the drive and carry on as if you where going to install a new copy of windows, keep going until you reach the screen when it searches for an existing copy of windows, when it finds it (hopefully) you will then see the option to repair that version by pressing "R" follow the onscreen and that should simply restore all your default settings and leave everything intact as it was.

WARNING!!!! if you do not see an option to repair as outlined above, do NOT carry on as you will lose all data!

You will need also your install key/serial numbers.