Notices

Old 29th May 2008, 23:13   #51
lady zed
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanked 1,210 Times in 716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Why would he get possesive of me? Surely he would be possesive of the girlfriend? Being a bloke?
Na, dogs don't care about what sex the head of the pack is. Whoever is the dominant force, the one who takes care of them is the one they'll attach themselves to.
Old 29th May 2008, 23:26   #52
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterchick View Post
Aww what a shame. Think she'll get another? It's always tough losing a pet, I grew up with a black lab called Sheila, still can't think about her without a tear coming to my eye.

She's a bit smaller than the ridgebacks but very similiar. She's hilarious, she's staring at me just now cos it's bedtime.
Elsa fell asleep a month or so ago, we had her when I was 13/14. She was my best mate. I think they'll let Bella be the only Ridgeback for a bit, so she can have her day as top dog. They have two Jack Russels as well.
Old 22nd June 2008, 21:43   #53
Phil
This is my second home

Any advice on trying to stop him from biting? I've tried all the stuff the vet has said, we've even bought dvd's telling you how to stop it.
Old 23rd June 2008, 09:35   #54
pdp.cousins
Regular poster

ROVER 75 2.0 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Any advice on trying to stop him from biting? I've tried all the stuff the vet has said, we've even bought dvd's telling you how to stop it.
Hi, we have two Golden Retrievers. Sam is almost 4 and Max is just 9 months and into everything. Sam never tried to bite but Max has been a little nippy so when ever he did it I would shout as if in pain, followed by a load NO, he would be so shocked that he eventually stopped. He does keep trying to retrieve me though by trying to get my wrist in his mouth whenever I come home. I have now started ignoring him when I come home until he calms down. This seems to be working pretty well. I also spend a lot of time when they are puppies sitting with them when they are eating. Putting my hand in their bowls, taking their food away and giving it back by hand sometimes so they get to know who is the leader of the pack. Both my dogs will now let me or anyone else take their food or bones from them at anytime. They are very placid and loving.

So, the loud shout followed by a stern NO definately works for me. I'll post a couple of pics later on. Good luck and enjoy. Paul
Old 23rd June 2008, 10:50   #55
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

We're doing a similar thing with Maddy (3 month old Mini Labradoodle) - OUCH! followed by NO!

We're getting there, but she's got damn sharp little teeth! Her big "sister", Charlie (20 month Standard 'Dood) was just the same, but now is as gentle as anything. She's got much bigger teeth, but much blunter too!!

We also do the food thing - makes them much less possessive and snappy!
uk_dave&gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 20:43   #56
Phil
This is my second home

I've been doing that. He seems to think its a game. His teeth are super sharp. He's drawn blood on numerous occasions.
Old 23rd June 2008, 20:51   #57
Tatts
This is my second home

MG6 TL

When our Lab was a pup, my hands & arms looked like they'd been through a mincing machine. Had to stop it.

So, make sure the pup has LOTS to chew on - hard rubber balls, nylabones, tennix balls, footballs etc etc etc.

Use something in your hand when playing with the pup. If you get caught, either by accident or on purpose (I know this will sound silly etc) but yelp - like a dog would do, pull your hand away and turn your back to him. I know this sounds daft, but it really worked with our dog.

Toys to amuse them:

Empty pop bottles: drop a couple of biscuits in it & superglue the top on. Keeps them occupied for ages.

Ice Cubes - cheap and they love crunching them.

Give them a raw carrot a day. A nice, sweet treat, that cleans their teeth & does not fatten them.
Tatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 20:52   #58
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Time to show him who is the boss perhaps? A sharp rap on the nose may be necessary, may just be the kindest option. His mother would certainly not hesitate to growl and snap to show her displeasure.

Just my opinion as a non pet owner. Dons flame suit and looks for somewhere to hide.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2008, 21:32   #59
lady zed
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost View Post
Time to show him who is the boss perhaps? A sharp rap on the nose may be necessary, may just be the kindest option. His mother would certainly not hesitate to growl and snap to show her displeasure.

Just my opinion as a non pet owner. Dons flame suit and looks for somewhere to hide.
Actually GG, you're not far off. A mother would sort out a rowdy pup with a swift nip usually to the scruff of the neck area, then push them away and ignore them. So while I wouldn't advise any kind of rap on the nose, you could try growling at them and pushing them away and ignoring them til they realise that nipping means getting ignored. Obviously this all has to be done instantly and consistently so the pup gets the message.
Old 9th July 2008, 21:07   #60
lady zed
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Default I got a cat!!!!

A gorgeous greyish short haired tomcat, about 5 years old, and just lovely! I've got bloomin mice, had them before and no doubt will gte them again. The whole area seems to suffer, old houses in a suburb surrounded by countryside, prime location for mice.

So anyway, I thought enough is enough, a cat is required. So we went to a cat rescue place last night and found him, don't know how long he'd been stray but he's in good condition and a good weight so more than likely someone is missing him, awww, but he don't care. He's spent most of his time in my son's bedroom only really coming down to eat and use his litter tray. He's a bit suspicious of the dog but there's been no fur flying and nothing vicious, so far! I'm really proud of her, she's behaved very well, I think she wants to play with him, but, well, he's a cat. You ca tell he's thinking 'nice place, quite happy here........apart from that stupid dog'.

Anyway, he's not the best looking but it was temperament I was more concerned about and he's been great with Lewis and as I said he tolerates the dog. And it's only been 24 hours so I guess with time they'll become friends.

We've named him Bing, after Bing Crosby. My Dad was Bing's biggest fan, met him 3 times (as did I although I can't remember) and had the biggest collection of Bing records in Britain at one point. I suspect the collection is still the biggest and pristine. He would buy a record, 78, 33 whatever, record it onto tape staright away and the record would be put away never to be played again!

So, Bing the cat. Hope his mice hunting skills are good!