Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st July 2009, 15:49   #21
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collins View Post
the air which enters the cabin during summer,(with the aircon off, I don't like aircon much), is warmer than the fresh air outside. Never had this problem with other cars. I think this is from the heat of the engine warming that area up.
The air coming into the cab does so via the plenum and the pollen filter. This air is supplied from outside the vehicle via the grills at the bottom of the windscreen. The forward motion of the car pressurises the plenum with fresh air. It's not possible for heat from the engine to warm this air. The plenum is sealed from the engine with a firewall and a rubber weather strip. When the car is stationary in hot sunshine, the air within the plenum will heat up and on moving off will be transferred into the cab until cooler outside air displaces it completely. Is this what you experience?

Quote:
So I've been considering re-locating my ECU to inside the car - - -
Does the ECU really heat up that much?
The electronic system use circuit resistance for some functions so anything might happen. The ECU does not get hot in use.

What's wrong with using the A/C? If you need cooler air, it's the only way to get it.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 15:57   #22
CDTi
This is my second home

No longer in the MGR club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collins View Post
the air which enters the cabin during summer,(with the aircon off, I don't like aircon much), is warmer than the fresh air outside. Never had this problem with other cars. I think this is from the heat of the engine warming that area up.
Have you tried turning the little wheel under the clock?

CDTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 16:06   #23
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

I would certainly not attempt to move the ecu. Apart from the number of physical connections ( I think these close on a 100), you'll need to ensure the donor car matches yours, as not all ecu's were wired out the same

There is also the issue of resistance as Tcut says.

You might want to try an AC antibacterial canister to purge the system
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 16:50   #24
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeners View Post
- - you'll need to ensure the donor car matches yours, as not all ecu's were wired out the same
The plan is simply to relocate the existing ECU to a 'cooler' location, but I can't think of one anyway.

TC
Old 1st July 2009, 16:53   #25
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
The plan is simply to relocate the existing ECU to a 'cooler' location, but I can't think of one anyway.

TC
Passenger seat is the usual place.....but he's got another connector from a scrapped car, so I suppose he plans to chop off his original connector and splice on the new one.
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2009, 09:00   #26
Collins

Rover 75 Saloon Connoisseur Facelift

Hi T-Cut, thanks, see below.
The air coming into the cab does so via the plenum and the pollen filter. This air is supplied from outside the vehicle via the grills at the bottom of the windscreen.
On the side where the ECU and Pollen filter is, (same as UK) there is a blanking off sheet under the grill, so the air can only come in from the other grill on the drivers side. I'm sure the air is heating up in there from the extreme heat of the engine. If I monitor my temp on the diagonostics everything is normal, but in summer, I can actually see the heat waves coming off the bonnet, and if you climb out, you can feel the heat radiating from the engine area, which I've never seen in another car, and yes, I've tried moving the toggle under the clock and everything. It just gets hot here. All I can say is, these cars were not designed for Africa, and seem happiest splashing through puddles, and working their way through foggy mizzy weather :lol:.
When I asked the local dealership about the issue the foreman just said, oh it's a design fault, the air intake is situated in the wrong place, and then he showed me how to set the climate control so that no air at all comes into the cabin. No use in that!

The ECU does not get hot in use.
I actually just want to move the ECU to maybe near the fuse box under the cubbyhole, so that it won't get drowned one day, and also so that I can remove that blanking plate, or make some holes in it, and hopefully get more fresh air in through the pollen filter.
I'll have to think about this some more too, because I don't want rain water draining off into the plenum, and then entering the cab through the pollen filter either.
And come to think of it, lately I am getting quite a whiff of oil, so I suppose the t-piece on the breather pipe has gone again, in view of this I must definitely be getting quite a lot of air in from the engine. Maybe I should investigate the rubber seals between the plenum area and the engine bay?

Another thing is: looking at the scrap wiring loom last night, I noticed 5 wires with the same colour, pink with black stripe, I don't know if they are interchangeable. There are 37 wires altogether.
I remember reading on someone's brag list at the bottom of a post, that they had moved their ECU, wish I knew who it was...

What's wrong with using the A/C? If you need cooler air, it's the only way to get it.
The A/C has it's place, but it generally gives me sinus, and jumping in and out from the hot outside and cool inside, I end up getting the flu, so I generally don't use it, other than to cool the car down when it's been standing, or on long trips, (then I leave the window or sunroof open a crack, fussy I know) Air distribution and controls can become quite a contentious issue on our family trips, in the end the Director of Home Affairs normally gets her way though .
Anyway, so many questions I know.
The resistance issue may be a bit tricky, as well as the pink colour wires, may have to take both plugs apart to see where each pin/wire is located.
The other issue will preventing be water getting in through the pollen filter, if I remove the blanking plate.
May have to put this project on the back burner for awhile

Last edited by Collins; 2nd July 2009 at 09:05..
Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2009, 10:41   #27
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

I think I'd swap the car for one that does what I want it to do. Your proposals seem too much effort for what you're likely to achieve.

Have you tried changing/omitting the pollen filter?

TC
Old 2nd July 2009, 10:53   #28
Collins

Rover 75 Saloon Connoisseur Facelift

Ouch!
Put a new pollen filter in 6 months ago, but had no effect.
Well, it's a project I may or may not tackle. Will post results if and when it happens.
There are lots of other little niggles that I should sort out first I suppose.
Been meaning to finish putting in Hans temp guage for about 3 weeks now. Finished making the mounting for the display, now just have to run the wires.
And the list goes on...
Cheers for all the input from everyone though.
Collins is offline   Reply With Quote