Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th January 2020, 09:39   #1
jonc3725
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190 + and MKIV Supra

Default SUVs against our diesels

Interesting article here about the UKs transport emission levels

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/uk-car-emissions

As we slowly turn American with SUVs this seems to have gone unnoticed. I know a few on here have said about the Nissan squashkai (spelt in jest) emissions being high but it seem that most SUVs are causing the UK an issue.

Let's get back to cars. Now we can't ban people's choice but boy the government should tax them accordingly. Perhaps that will slow the slip into the American way.

You may have guessed I can't stand SUVs so I am at one end of the spectrum.

Give me a well cared for MGZT/R75 contemporary diesel over an SUV anyday

Living the dream

MK IV VVTI Tiptronic TT Toyota Supra
MG ZT 190+
BornTuesday, 10th July 2001 @ 09:01:10
259th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
252nd ZT 190 + to be made out of 4,023
101st ZT in Solar Red (code: CEU) to be made out of 1,888
jonc3725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2020, 11:26   #2
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

over here in australia we had well and truly been SUD’d since a few years ago with a whole brigade of smallish people (mainly women) driving massive cars that blocks eveyones view at an intersection except them.
Seems intermediate sized cars are out of favour.
Still a fee small cars being sold but Suv and ute sales are the biggest part of overall sales.
Seeing alot more Usa ford and Gm cars (mustangs, camaros etc ) for sale here now we dont have any local car manufacturing anymore.
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2020, 12:11   #3
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

The biggest problem with SUV's in this country is the UK is not big enough to accommodate them. We dont have the roads or space for them, People only have them to boost their own small ego's

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2020, 12:42   #4
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

I read that the VED is changing to the WLTP test procedure in April 2020 which is more stringent and will push diesels into the next higher tax band.

It will be interesting to see what they will do with fuel duty in the March budget!

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2020, 12:46   #5
Captain Crappycrimp
Gets stuck in

Devil car is dead!

Personally I’m no fan of SUV’s but they make great (legal) recovery vehicles for the 75s and ZTs I save

2003 Le mans Green MG ZTT 1.8T, 2003 MG ZT CDTI BRG, ZT 190 Typhoon, 2001 Rover 75 1.8 Tourer , 2002 solar red MG ZTT 177, 2005 Silver MG ZTT CDTI, 2001 Trophy Blue MG ZT (Early No 131) 160, 2004 XPG MG ZT CDTI.
2004 MG ZT Ignition Blue MG Press car/Pheonix 4 personal car. Rover 75 CDT top spec Cowley car. 2003 MG ZT 190+ white Gold.

Couldn't save

MG ZT 1.8T XPG 2005 MG ZTT Goodwood Green(Devil car)

MY PROJECT

2004 MG ZTT Diesel auto in disappointing grey.
Captain Crappycrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2020, 17:25   #6
smudge.g
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDTi Connie SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
The biggest problem with SUV's in this country is the UK is not big enough to accommodate them. We dont have the roads or space for them, People only have them to boost their own small ego's
Totally agree with the above, we live in a small town in rural Aberdeenshire and these rediculously oversized US style trucks are becoming more widespread. The farmers seem to like them too but as above, our town car park spaces are almost too small for them. Saloon cars seemed to have died out and been replaced by hot hatches or these daft monstrosities!!
My 75 Tourer CDTi was born Saturday, 21st June 2003 @ 09:50

My 75 was the 18,749th 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
It was the 195th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 2,074
and the 1,789th 75 Tourer in Wedgewood Blue Metallic (code: JEL) to be made out of 1,871 Wedgewood Blue Metallic 75 Tourers
smudge.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2020, 19:37   #7
Olde faithful
Loves to post

ROVER 75 TOURER

These are EU targets were leaving Friday, so matters not what the EU say in 2021!.

Of course a Electrical car manufacturer is going to say by the end of 2039 blah blah we are all going to Electric, it takes oil to make cars and the factories just pump it out instead, and i have to say... dont believe half the POO POO were told its just big business making cash.

carbon cars will be here at lot longer than they are saying and when they say electric cars have gone up in sales 1006% it means 45 cars have sold kind of thing

no thanks
Olde faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2020, 20:08   #8
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde faithful View Post
These are EU targets were leaving Friday, so matters not what the EU say in 2021!.

Of course a Electrical car manufacturer is going to say by the end of 2039 blah blah we are all going to Electric, it takes oil to make cars and the factories just pump it out instead, and i have to say... dont believe half the POO POO were told its just big business making cash.

carbon cars will be here at lot longer than they are saying and when they say electric cars have gone up in sales 1006% it means 45 cars have sold kind of thing

no thanks

Er No! these are the UK's environmental bill mandates as well, the Environmental bill that came out in Oct 2019 was to mirror & underpin the EU's emission standards, Actually the bill is being republished in the coming days.

They're more to do with our Paris accord agreement commitments than being a member (or not) of the European union.

There are around 195 countries/States signed up to the Paris accord and most of them aren't in the EU.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2020, 20:13   #9
Olde faithful
Loves to post

ROVER 75 TOURER

Yes they ( EU and big business) bring in new legislation and so many things cannot be shared, then hit the punters with higher costs because it weights 2 tonnes when 1 tonnes of car would have done 5 years ago.

The fiat 500, the Mini bulk hulk etc etc... these cars are huge.. I drive Rover 75 Tourer in its day was big car then, today it looks like a Austin Montego saloon size.. as cars get bigger and bigger and then we are hit with costs from governmental departments and EU legislation... the mind boggles.

Electric cars not attractive to me and after 5 years of use and charge up they will end up like the mobile phones today... zero operational times drain down in 3 minutes. its alright being brand new they can do 150 miles after years 2 down to 75 miles all done.

I agree with the article, from the lady no way its all being electric by 2040 no way................. and the second hand market would fall out the floor and thats jobs and services and garages and etc etc parts for petrol /diesel engines... these are huge job losses in a short time and above all else theres no proof that battery cars will cut long term.. that point i did agree with

batteries are not much better than in the past two years ago as some manufacturers have been found out the mileage claims are well off.
Olde faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2020, 23:20   #10
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

The most annoying thing about all the SUV's going around, is that they're not. They're just lookalikes, actual sport utility vehicles seem out numbered at least 2 to 1 by the school run qashqais, jukes etc

I drive my wife's qashqai when I have to, but the upright, up high driving position is not for me.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote