Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th October 2019, 13:47   #11
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanos.m View Post
Quick update Took it to my mgr expert today and we found a perished engine mount and it is indeed a 2 4 solenoid. None of the mg rover garages want to get involved with it it and the transmission shops quote silly money so I guess I'll have to tackle it myself which I didn't really want to

It’s a simple job, drain the auto box, whip off the front cover and the solenoids are exposed.

A couple of hours start to finish.
Old 28th October 2019, 15:24   #12
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
... and the transmission shops quote silly money ...

That's my experience too. They're only interested in standard "reconditioning" work with a hefty price tag which is no use when you've already diagnosed the faulty component.

This policy drove me many years ago to get my first taste of delving into an automatic gearbox. I know it's a daunting prospect Thanos but there are far worse jobs on cars than replacing a solenoid valve in the JATCO. A repair manual is available for about £30 but you'll probably get all the help you need here on the forum. Go for it!

Simon
Old 28th October 2019, 15:56   #13
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Matt's guide is here but the pics are blurred due to Photobucket fiasco. He may be able to send you up to date pics and he did supply the parts at one time???

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...28&postcount=4

Mike
Old 29th October 2019, 00:08   #14
rushly

Rover 75 saloon + MgZt cdti

Quote:
Hi everyone,
Last morning I started my 75 and the moment I put it in drive the was bang and jerk i didn't think much of it though, I went to drive off and the car would bang and jerk at the gear changes that got me really worried but there was no slip I restarted the car and the gearbox was smooth as silk for the rest of the day. Then today I went to drive off again it all seemed fine but just a few meters from house the car would have small but noticable bang in the first gear change and smooth on all the rest. The car has 106k miles and it had a fluid change a couple of year ago and has done only around 6-7k mile since. Any ideas ?
Regards,
Thanos
Try these people for the 2-4 solenoid. £69.60 delivered, excellent communication from them, you can even phone them up 👍. I had the same problem back in March and bought my solenoid from them.

https://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk
rushly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2019, 00:21   #15
rushly

Rover 75 saloon + MgZt cdti

Quote:
Hi everyone,
Last morning I started my 75 and the moment I put it in drive the was bang and jerk i didn't think much of it though, I went to drive off and the car would bang and jerk at the gear changes that got me really worried but there was no slip I restarted the car and the gearbox was smooth as silk for the rest of the day. Then today I went to drive off again it all seemed fine but just a few meters from house the car would have small but noticable bang in the first gear change and smooth on all the rest. The car has 106k miles and it had a fluid change a couple of year ago and has done only around 6-7k mile since. Any ideas ?
Regards,
Thanos
Try these people for the 2-4 solenoid. £69.60 delivered, excellent communication from them, you can even phone them up 👍. I had the same problem back in March and bought my solenoid from them.

https://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk
rushly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2019, 01:28   #16
thanos.m
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Thanks everyone for their replies ! Ended up ripping the 2 4 solenoid out of my parts 75 i would have preferred to get a new one but since it's my daily driver it needed to be done asap. It took me about 8 hours to do complete the job because access on the v6 is horrible with cooland hoses on the way and the fact I was fighting with it in dark but now the car shifts again smooth as butter
I really don't understand why garages don't wanna get involved on a lift it's fairly easy job.
Lastly 2 bolts snapped off so I'll have to get them drilled out but it I couldn't seen anything at the moment

Last edited by thanos.m; 29th October 2019 at 01:36..
thanos.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2019, 11:19   #17
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
I believe this is a classic symptom of the 2/4 brake solenoid failure ...
A is in order I think.
Quote:
... now the car shifts again smooth as butter
I really don't understand why garages don't wanna get involved on a lift it's fairly easy job.
Thanks for reporting back Thanos.

My explanation for garages not wanting to get involved is quite simply that automatic transmissions are viewed with bewilderment and fear, even by them! Here on this forum we are made of sterner stuff.

Simon