Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th October 2019, 19:21   #1
magicsbaby
Regular poster
 
magicsbaby's Avatar
 
Rover 75

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Guildford
Posts: 45
Thanks: 20
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Rover 75 what to do now

OK, my Rover 75.. sitting there 82,000 I think on clock.. water pump gone, newish set of tyres on, 2.5 Conni Blue Cream Leather, in really generally decent condition 2004.

Had offer for scrap dealer, not going to fix her myself. Cant seem to put on sale page no idea why as would just in case someone wants to save her.

She is currently at a garage who obviously want her out of the way, and I will have to let her got to scrap which would be sad as she is probably full of part that folk might want, and I would say the tyres are decent even if someone wanted to come over and do swap for those before the scrap took her for a small charge.

She is in Guildford Surrey.

If folk know how I can get her on the sale page let me know..or PM me or whatever. Thanks...
magicsbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2019, 19:35   #2
another_clean_sheet
Just enjoying retirement
 
another_clean_sheet's Avatar
 
Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Great Bardfield, nr Braintree
Posts: 763
Thanks: 198
Thanked 251 Times in 184 Posts
Default

Subscribe £10 for a years membership will let you access Members Cars for Sale section
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2019, 20:34   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves
 
SD1too's Avatar
 
Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model. Rover 3500 Vanden Plas (1984).

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Middlesex
Posts: 16,302
Thanks: 874
Thanked 2,616 Times in 2,267 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicsbaby View Post
... water pump gone ... Had offer for scrap dealer, not going to fix her myself.
Hi Tamsin,

I don't understand the diagnosis. What are the symptoms please? I fear that you might be thinking of scrapping your lovely KV6 unnecessarily. My reasons for asking:
  • Water pumps fail by leakage. But evidence of coolant in that area can also be drainage from the 'V' due to a flattened 'O' ring.
  • If your engine is overheating it won't be the water pump; that's a common uninformed diagnosis.

So what's the story Tamsin? Maybe we will have good news for you.

Simon
__________________
"Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble."
Sir Henry Royce.
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2019, 21:36   #4
oldie
Loves to post
 
Contemporary SE tourer diesel auto '05; Connoisseur SE v8 auto '54

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 355
Thanks: 84
Thanked 31 Times in 22 Posts
Default

If it's holding water sufficient to get it home (with the occasional judicious top-up) get it home. It's easier to make a balanced judgement when there is less pressure to react. Further to that what are/were the symptoms?

If looking to sell - some pictures will attract purchasers.
oldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2019, 22:41   #5
Terryf
Gets stuck in
 
Rover 75 Saloon BRG

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Retford
Posts: 502
Thanks: 97
Thanked 87 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hi Tamsin,

I don't understand the diagnosis. What are the symptoms please? I fear that you might be thinking of scrapping your lovely KV6 unnecessarily. My reasons for asking:
  • Water pumps fail by leakage. But evidence of coolant in that area can also be drainage from the 'V' due to a flattened 'O' ring.
  • If your engine is overheating it won't be the water pump; that's a common uninformed diagnosis.

So what's the story Tamsin? Maybe we will have good news for you.

Simon
I am no mechanic but when my engine was over heating it was definitely the water pump. Water pouring out of it, got new water pump fitted sorted it.
Terryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2019, 13:31   #6
grivas
Posted a thing or two
 
grivas's Avatar
 
Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: East Midlands
Posts: 1,958
Thanks: 99
Thanked 379 Times in 285 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicsbaby View Post
OK, my Rover 75.. sitting there 82,000 I think on clock.. water pump gone, newish set of tyres on, 2.5 Conni Blue Cream Leather, in really generally decent condition 2004.

Had offer for scrap dealer, not going to fix her myself. Cant seem to put on sale page no idea why as would just in case someone wants to save her.

She is currently at a garage who obviously want her out of the way, and I will have to let her got to scrap which would be sad as she is probably full of part that folk might want, and I would say the tyres are decent even if someone wanted to come over and do swap for those before the scrap took her for a small charge.

She is in Guildford Surrey.

If folk know how I can get her on the sale page let me know..or PM me or whatever. Thanks...
So you are considering scrapping your car for precisely what reason?...
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2019, 14:38   #7
75v6
Loves to post
 
75v6's Avatar
 
75 CDTi with premium bumper

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S Wales
Posts: 281
Thanks: 107
Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
Default

I think the garage has quoted something stupid to repair it!
__________________
Light blue Rover 75 2005 CDTi
V8 Bumper, inline stat, EGR bypass, Gold fan resister, 160 remap, Crofts chrome door handle trims, Viking alloys, O rings replaced, plenum cleared, new windscreen & headlamps, 4 new springs.
Previous: Rover 216si, 75 V6 Copperleaf Conny SE, LWB Navy 2005, LWB Racing Green 2003, 2003 LWB Navy 2003.
75v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2019, 15:16   #8
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves
 
SD1too's Avatar
 
Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model. Rover 3500 Vanden Plas (1984).

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Middlesex
Posts: 16,302
Thanks: 874
Thanked 2,616 Times in 2,267 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
So you are considering scrapping your car for precisely what reason?...
Here's the story Mario, a leaking water pump, apparently. It first occurred in July and despite helpful advice from forum members, magicsbaby didn't get it repaired, plus she has bought another vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75v6 View Post
I think the garage has quoted something stupid to repair it!
£1,200 has been mentioned. Changing the water pump on a KV6 is a big job. It's now advertised for sale at £350 which makes it a realistic repair for someone with DIY skills.

Simon
__________________
"Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble."
Sir Henry Royce.

Last edited by SD1too; 25th October 2019 at 15:18..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2019, 21:37   #9
macafee2
This is my second home
 
Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Southampton
Posts: 8,925
Thanks: 893
Thanked 1,685 Times in 1,174 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Here's the story Mario, a leaking water pump, apparently. It first occurred in July and despite helpful advice from forum members, magicsbaby didn't get it repaired, plus she has bought another vehicle.

£1,200 has been mentioned. Changing the water pump on a KV6 is a big job. It's now advertised for sale at £350 which makes it a realistic repair for someone with DIY skills.

Simon
a car has been advertised but goodness knows from the description what it is other then its a Rover 75. why oh why don't people add body style and engine type to adverts? Not the first time I've seen such adverts.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2019, 22:58   #10
COLVERT
This is my second home
 
COLVERT's Avatar
 
R75 Saloon.

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: France/or Devon.
Posts: 10,459
Thanks: 2,447
Thanked 1,126 Times in 982 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldie View Post
If it's holding water sufficient to get it home (with the occasional judicious top-up) get it home. It's easier to make a balanced judgement when there is less pressure to react. Further to that what are/were the symptoms?

If looking to sell - some pictures will attract purchasers.
Quote:--majicsbaby.-She is currently at a garage, and can't really drive as she is losing water fast.


As OLDIE says in this post.---- Plus leaving the filler cap off will partially stop the water pump leaking.

I drove all the way down through France with the pump leaking ( 300 miles ) with the occasional top up.


So M.B get your car home.--
__________________

Last edited by COLVERT; 31st October 2019 at 23:01..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to COLVERT For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2006-2019, The Rover 75 & MG ZT Owners Club Ltd