Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th August 2018, 12:19   #1
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts
Red face Flat Battery

Went to move the green one this am so I could get blingy out ready for mot pre-checking and...............Click Flat battery Now when I bought it, the family said it kept going flat(obviously never used much) so they bought a new one, but this also kept going flat. On checking the battery, it's the wrong one Not nearly big enough for our cars Had a look at ECP & they've got a sale on, Bosch S4 075 with 4 year guarantee, was £117.99, now, delivered, £66.84 Result
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2018, 16:28   #2
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

ECP prices are excellent with their discount codes applied Ronnie.I have recently replaced the batteries on both the 75 and 45 with Exide one's from them,each have a four year guarantee.Can't fault them.

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2018, 19:24   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

is the size of the battery the reason its flat?
from your description I would be looking for something else. if the battery was fully charged would it start the car? if fully charged and it still has not the guts to turn the engine over and start it fair enough but flat.... what is the cause?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2018, 19:59   #4
suzublu
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
is the size of the battery the reason its flat?
from your description I would be looking for something else. if the battery was fully charged would it start the car? if fully charged and it still has not the guts to turn the engine over and start it fair enough but flat.... what is the cause?

macafee2
Ian, on checking the battery fitted, the specs are too low for our cars, which need a strong amperage for starting & running all the leccy bits. The old chaps family bought a cheap battery so they could sell it, not knowing what type So, I've bought the correct type which should (hopefully) solve the problem
Old 25th August 2018, 20:47   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Ian, on checking the battery fitted, the specs are too low for our cars, which need a strong amperage for starting & running all the leccy bits. The old chaps family bought a cheap battery so they could sell it, not knowing what type So, I've bought the correct type which should (hopefully) solve the problem
it would crank better and for longer as I assume the battery fitted even if wrong will crank the engine and perhaps even start the car. My only concern was you saying flat. Apologies if I'm way off beam here

I could be about to show my ignorance
once running and the alternator has fully charged the battery, how much influence does the battery have? I'm assuming the alternator of a car produces enough umph above x revs to run all the electrics and the need for the battery is only to complete a circuit when engine is above x revs and below x revs to power the car as the alternator is not producing enough.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2018, 21:36   #6
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post

I could be about to show my ignorance
once running and the alternator has fully charged the battery, how much influence does the battery have? I'm assuming the alternator of a car produces enough umph above x revs to run all the electrics and the need for the battery is only to complete a circuit when engine is above x revs and below x revs to power the car as the alternator is not producing enough.

macafee2

The alternator is capable of almost supporting the maximum electrical load, at a tick-over. The problems happen, when there is volts drop, when trying to crank a cold, large engine over - that's when the CCA really matters and CCA is closely related to the amp/hour of the battery.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2018, 14:43   #7
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

A 75ah battery should be able to turn over an engine, normally supplied with a 110ah battery. Have you got a modern battery charger that will tell you what Volts it is producing? Fully charged, should be giving at least 12.8v, I usually find below 12.3V it won't have enough to start a cold diesel (glow plugs + starter motor requires too much power).
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2018, 14:48   #8
suzublu
This is my second home

The battery fitted is a 60ah, fitted as a stop gap by the family to start the car for selling. To clarify, the car is 17 years old with 16k miles, it never went on long journeys, I assume, to keep the battery charged, so the original was replaced with the "little" one
Old 26th August 2018, 18:50   #9
Dorchester2
incurable Rover addict

Rover 75 Saloon V6 2.5 1999 - Rover 25 1.4 2002 - Rover 214i cab 1994 - Rover P5b coupe 1968

Smile

I've just changed my battery.

When I bought the car one year ago, it had been fitted with a cheap down market battery. Enough power but cheap and God only knows how old it was.
The battery was on charge every time the car was in the garage. Hence well maintained.

I bought a 70Ah 720A Banner AGM start & stop. Expensive & a tad overpowered though but given to last twice as long as a standard one.
But far better to have got an overpowered than an underpowered one, don't you agree?

I fitted it a few days ago.
Going at my daughter's, I've just tested it today.
The engine start-up is impressive: the starter is working better & faster and that makes a massive difference particularly while the engine is fuelled with ethanol (it's well-known that starts-up may be a little uneasy sometimes with E85)!
I'm amazed & chuffed!
  • This vehicle was the 2,032nd 75 in Atlantic Blue Pearlescent (code: JEY) to be made out of 2,572 Atlantic Blue Pearlescent 75s
Dorchester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2018, 20:02   #10
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Just checked, - if the green one is also a 1.8L, a 60Ah battery should be adequate, especially at this time of year, if fully charged.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote