Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th May 2020, 17:17   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Get them open!

The holiday industry like many others is dead at the moment.

I am off the opinion that caravan sites could open providing :-

caravans had their own facilities, no open toilet/anything blocks
pitch distance was increased, CL's should be OK with 5 caravans, caravan club sites could have 3/5 of their pitches in use.
no "club" house
people keep 2 meters apart.

not sure about this, perhaps no more then 5 night stays so people don't need to go shopping but then I think Tescos will deliver to a caravan site

I think I'd go away in the caravan.

your thoughts?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2020, 17:30   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
The holiday industry like many others is dead at the moment.

I am off the opinion that caravan sites could open providing :-

caravans had their own facilities, no open toilet/anything blocks
pitch distance was increased, CL's should be OK with 5 caravans, caravan club sites could have 3/5 of their pitches in use.
no "club" house
people keep 2 meters apart.

not sure about this, perhaps no more then 5 night stays so people don't need to go shopping but then I think Tescos will deliver to a caravan site

I think I'd go away in the caravan.

your thoughts?

macafee2
there is no reason why a caravanning trip could not be postponed for a month or two. The relaxation of the restrictions is only a matter of hours old lol.

Overnight stays, with or without a caravan, of any length has the potential to spread the infection and not have any kind of monitoring/tracking of it.

If you go to somewhere a hundred miles away, you go into a Tesco (for fuel or food). You infect someone, without knowing it, then that area has perhaps a small spike, and causes that town (for example) to lockdown. Meanwhile, after 5 days you return home, however on the 6th day you begin to show symptoms, as does a lot of people in your home town - which is where you were originally infected. It locks down and spikes its figures. You though, are blaming the town you visited for your infection, when in fact it was you that infected the town.

That is a simplistic view of it, but what I believe is the reasoning behind the restriction on overnight stays (reduces the risk).

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2020, 17:58   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
there is no reason why a caravanning trip could not be postponed for a month or two. The relaxation of the restrictions is only a matter of hours old lol.

Overnight stays, with or without a caravan, of any length has the potential to spread the infection and not have any kind of monitoring/tracking of it.

If you go to somewhere a hundred miles away, you go into a Tesco (for fuel or food). You infect someone, without knowing it, then that area has perhaps a small spike, and causes that town (for example) to lockdown. Meanwhile, after 5 days you return home, however on the 6th day you begin to show symptoms, as does a lot of people in your home town - which is where you were originally infected. It locks down and spikes its figures. You though, are blaming the town you visited for your infection, when in fact it was you that infected the town.

That is a simplistic view of it, but what I believe is the reasoning behind the restriction on overnight stays (reduces the risk).
We can travel to exercise so one may need to refuel anyway.
I also said not sure about this, perhaps no more then 5 night stays so people don't need to go shopping but then I think Tescos will deliver to a caravan site so no visits to the shops is required.
I understand what you say about perhaps infecting someone in that area causing a lockdown, I cant argue hard against you on that

If we were to go away for 5 days, we would not need to shop, we have our own facilities and if we were not allowed out for walks in the hills would take to sitting in or just outside the caravan but a change of scenery would be a moral boost.
If I compare this to going on public transport, into shops or back to work I feel safer in my mobile home then any of those places.

macafee2
Old 12th May 2020, 18:21   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
We can travel to exercise so one may need to refuel anyway.
I also said not sure about this, perhaps no more then 5 night stays so people don't need to go shopping but then I think Tescos will deliver to a caravan site so no visits to the shops is required.
I understand what you say about perhaps infecting someone in that area causing a lockdown, I cant argue hard against you on that

If we were to go away for 5 days, we would not need to shop, we have our own facilities and if we were not allowed out for walks in the hills would take to sitting in or just outside the caravan but a change of scenery would be a moral boost.
If I compare this to going on public transport, into shops or back to work I feel safer in my mobile home then any of those places.

macafee2
This is the thing. You say 'we', meaning you and yours. You forget how self entitled, self important some folk are. Or even the 'I forgot the tin opener' crowd. There simply are too many variables, to monitor it.

This whole relaxation of the lockdown is, in my view, an experiment to test the waters. If it works great, but if it doesn't and infection rates rise more than expected, it can be locked down again relatively painlessly. Baby steps.

What happens if it locks down again,and the self entitled (as was proven at the beginning of this lock down), say, I have 2 more days to go, so I am staying for the two? Then get fined for driving the 100 miles home.

Quite simply, theres no need to go caravanning. Another couple of weeks will do no harm to wait it out.

Add in the jealousy factor of those who cannot get away too. They destroy your van, or vandalise your house. I bet there would be the odd instance of that too. Insurance, police will all come under criticism for not doing enough to sort it.

Ryanair are talking of 1000 flights per day, in July, caravans can wait until then.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2020, 19:04   #5
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Apparently the likes of the Lake District, and parts of the Derbyshire Peak District have made it known they don’t want visitors currently.

Presumably that includes caravanners, who, I’m guessing wouldn’t just sit in their vans, but would want to sightsee.
Old 12th May 2020, 19:32   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
This is the thing. You say 'we', meaning you and yours. You forget how self entitled, self important some folk are. Or even the 'I forgot the tin opener' crowd. There simply are too many variables, to monitor it.

This whole relaxation of the lockdown is, in my view, an experiment to test the waters. If it works great, but if it doesn't and infection rates rise more than expected, it can be locked down again relatively painlessly. Baby steps.

What happens if it locks down again,and the self entitled (as was proven at the beginning of this lock down), say, I have 2 more days to go, so I am staying for the two? Then get fined for driving the 100 miles home.

Quite simply, theres no need to go caravanning. Another couple of weeks will do no harm to wait it out.

Add in the jealousy factor of those who cannot get away too. They destroy your van, or vandalise your house. I bet there would be the odd instance of that too. Insurance, police will all come under criticism for not doing enough to sort it.

Ryanair are talking of 1000 flights per day, in July, caravans can wait until then.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

I thought and perhaps foolishly made the judgement on how I would act that it would help get one industry on the go.

A need to go caravanning or on holiday may be not for the holiday maker but the holiday operator may feel somewhat different.

I'd be happy to sit in a field if sunny and the caravan if not and not as much as I would want to, not go for a walk.

oh well as I'm one of the good ones, I'll have the site all to myself

As for Ryanair, I think all airlines are going to struggle as a lot of people will be to worried to be in such close proximity to strangers.

macafee2
Old 12th May 2020, 21:50   #7
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

I like the idea that Tesco will deliver to a caravan site. I am over 70 so locked in for 3 months yet have still not managed to get a delivery from them. I have to click and collect, and that was only available from the 4th week!
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2020, 07:34   #8
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

I work at a holiday park, (furloughed) and the earliest they hope to open is July 3rd. I know you're talking tourers but I'm sure the cleaners are not too keen to go into statics even after that date. The year round seasonal pitch tourers wouldn't be keen on visitors yet because they themselves are not allowed on site.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2020, 08:01   #9
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Interesting views. By travelling anywhere for leisure increases the risks to yourselves of danger of of picking up any infections, and of accidents, in turn needing others to be involved in dealing with the additional problems. Stay wary, stay safe.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2020, 08:07   #10
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

My post was in favour of kick starting one part of the holiday industry.
Just goes to show how difficult it is for a government to kick start anything as there is a difference of opinion.

macafee2