Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 6th December 2014, 08:02   #21
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts

Is the answer....

Because you can pick these cars up for peanuts?
Old 6th December 2014, 08:09   #22
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Just a few weeks ago I saw what must have been the worst driving for a very long time. A nearly new Porsche was jumping in and out of a line of cars, the driver was cutting it far too fine and oncoming cars including myself had to brake or there would have been an accident. This was blatent bad driving and the situation of being a prat with too many horses.
I do agree generally those that can afford an expensive powerful car will be safer but there are always exceptions to the rule.
I also know and realise that power can cause trouble but can also get you out of trouble. I've had and driven cars from both ends of the spectrum from a 2CV to a BMW 735. My work involves around 40,000 miles a year all over Scotland and have driven around 1.3 million miles in 43 years, so I've seen enough to make my hair curl.
One of my worries is those that tune their cars on the cheap, God knows the dangers hidden below
Old 6th December 2014, 08:29   #23
Stag>75
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Hi.
Perhaps I'm a fuddy duddy but why are some tuning their cars for huge power for road use?
Its not all about power, consider road conditions, speed limits, brakes, gearbox, clutch, wheels/tyres, suspension geometry, insurance, reliability, hazards, your driving skills and costs. Fine if its factored into everything.
Think carefully if you haven't.
Personally these days I am far more concerned about people driving under the influence of the myriad of substances available. I can only talk for Australia, we have significantly reduced the speed limits and curtailed driver behaviour, when I was young everyone used to speed around and people would be hotting up these cars no end. It's a very different story now and while there is a problem with street drag racing, here in Victoria that has been solved with car confiscation and then crushing. Yes after the event but it's been a pretty good deterent.

But in terms of driving under the influence of substances. very hard to control and it's a real problem.
Old 6th December 2014, 10:02   #24
humphshumphs
I really should get out more.......

No longer a Rover Owner

Location: As far east as you can go in the UK and not get wet feet.

Personally I don't think having lots of power in a car means you are a plonker. I have had various standard and tuned cars since I started driving, some of them being absolutely bog standard, some being OMG! modified.

Yes when I first passed my test, it was drive as fast as I could with a standard mini, as I got older, I was able to afford cars with more and more power, I actually slowed down - I knew I could out-run a fair few cars on the road at the time so didn't have to feel that I needed to speed about everywhere.

I actually learnt more about driving while competing in Off-Road competitions in a very low powered 850cc Suzuki LJ80 'Class 1' trialer. It's all about reading the terrain (or road) and planning for what might happen in the next 'X' minutes etc. and in the case of the road, trying to second guess what the other road users are doing.

Don't get me wrong, having power is fun, but just coz you have it, doesn't mean you have to use it.

I don't think that any of my cars over the years have been 'standard' so to speak. Some updated engine-wise, some standard, but all have been made mine. Whether it's just the 'fluffy dice' (so to speak), or a totally unique kit car.

If someone wants to modify their car and increase the power to Huge BHP, then as far as I am concerned, go for it.

No longer a 75 owner as my tourer made it to the moon, and died on it's way back. But 1/4 million miles ain't bad.
Old 6th December 2014, 10:03   #25
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stag>75 View Post
Personally these days I am far more concerned about people driving under the influence of the myriad of substances available. I can only talk for Australia, we have significantly reduced the speed limits and curtailed driver behaviour, when I was young everyone used to speed around and people would be hotting up these cars no end. It's a very different story now and while there is a problem with street drag racing, here in Victoria that has been solved with car confiscation and then crushing. Yes after the event but it's been a pretty good deterent.

But in terms of driving under the influence of substances. very hard to control and it's a real problem.
with the relatively cheap prices of car upgrades these days the combination of power (without matching brakes and suspension) added to copious amounts of youthful testosterone is all that is required for tragedy...
Old 6th December 2014, 10:18   #26
Spike
Posted a thing or two

Spike, Burt & Daisy

I'm not sure whether this thread was intended as a criticism of remapped 75s and ZTs or of boy racers souping up Seat Leons. I can only answer for someone who had a 135 diesel remapped to 160. The car has the same basic suspension and braking set up as the 177s and 190s and I'm still a few horses short of them.

In terms of how I use my extra power, it's mostly to overtake safely on A and B roads and to get safely and quickly out into the third lane on the motorway without slowing the flow of traffic.

Oh, and occasionally, I just drop my right foot a little and chuckle to myself at what a great upgrade I chose!

I've been driving for over 30 years and, like most of us, had a few prangs through inexperience in years gone by. A little upgrade to get the best out of my car doesn't make me a hooligan or a menace; it just makes me an even more proud owner of a future classic car that is currently my daily runner too.

Last edited by Spike; 6th December 2014 at 10:21..
Old 6th December 2014, 10:25   #27
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
I'm not sure whether this thread was intended as a criticism of remapped 75s and ZTs or of boy racers souping up Seat Leons. I can only answer for someone who had a 135 diesel remapped to 160. The car has the same basic suspension and braking set up as the 177s and 190s and I'm still a few horses short of them.

In terms of how I use my extra power, it's mostly to overtake safely on A and B roads and to get safely and quickly out into the third lane on the motorway without slowing the flow of traffic.

Oh, and occasionally, I just drop my right foot a little and chuckle to myself at what a great upgrade I chose!

I've been driving for over 30 years and, like most of us, had a few prangs through inexperience in years gone by. A little upgrade to get the best out of my car doesn't make me a hooligan or a menace; it just makes me an even more proud owner of a future classic car that is currently my daily runner too.
Hi.
That's what I would say is a useful upgrade, its well within the limits of the chassis and design of the car.
Its when some go wild without considering the other points mentioned in my original post that worries me.
Old 6th December 2014, 10:50   #28
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

I see a lot of plonkers when I do rolling road days, for me it's lack of maintaince that always concerns me.

We had a r32 mk4 golf appear, lightly tuned also and threw out about 300bhp so it was nice. Sadly both front arms where hanging out of the car and it was noticed when he reversed out of the rollers passing the comment "sort them for mot next year".

Said man was a fireman, who I'm sure has cut many people out of a car for unsafe cars.

Bhp isn't the issue, maintenance and intelligence is.
Old 6th December 2014, 11:15   #29
Polly
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 260 SE, ZS120, ZR105

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_a_n1979 View Post
Only idiots do what you quote, they are out there unfortunately

Anyone with half a brain will upgrade brakes and suspension if they're upping the cars power...

You seem to tar everyone with the same brush, no ifs, no buts...!

I'm an advanced driver, taught by a senior police instructor and a long member of the IAM and have a tuned E60 M5 putting out over 550BHP, does that make me a 'prat'?!

In a word "yes"😳
Old 6th December 2014, 11:37   #30
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

I can't see anything wrong with modest remapping. It's the out and out quest for maximum additional power that feeds a fever for being the fastest on the racetra... sorry, road.

After driving it for a week and exploring the boundaries of stupid, the twerps gain a familiarity that isn't matched by a corresponding improvement in driving skills, quite the opposite in fact. After all, accidents are in reality few and far between so the likelihood of destruction is hidden. So now you have an optimistic fool in charge of a bomb. However given the increase in speed cameras and increased penalties that are entirely voluntary, hopefully the worst excesses will be avoided.

Apart from not being in any rush to get anywhere at all these days, I have never felt the need to use my car to it's maximum performance level and conscious that I might, in the heat of the moment, make a mistake, I am more than happy to enjoy a quiet and untroubled leisurely ride. Time to enjoy The Archers, I'm Sorry, I haven't a Clue (including Samantha's interesting experiences) and the preposterous music choices, of people I used to admire, on Desert Island Discs. |Oh, and of course I am the most competent driver on the road. Horlicks, anyone?