Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th August 2019, 09:50   #1
daveb57
Loves to post

Mercedes Benz E 350 Coupe Peugeot 407 SW 1.9 HDI

Default It's only worth scrap money mate!

Hi all.

At the 'crossroads' again with the ZT as regards what to! Few bits to sort, back plates all round, new disc's and pads for the front, brake fluid change to do, air con needs a recharge, in all fairness to that, 17 years owned and never done. Spent almost £500 on her the back end of last year. Couple of other bits and pieces that need doing as well. Got to the point where I don't want to fall into the money pit trap, so decided I would change. Big wrench it would be, but there must be life after MG ROVER!

Came across a nice MK 1 Focus 170, always quite fancied one of those when they 1st came out. Good Miles, good history and a good price, so went to have a look to purchase. Test drive threw up no faults that could be seen and was going to buy it. Had already mentioned I had a px during the original phone call, not asked what it was though at that point. When the guy asked what I wanted to px, the mention of the ZT did not go down well. Nobody want's them mate, worth nothing, better selling it yourself or I'll give you scrap money!

That basically concluded any further discussion on the Focus and left.

Money to be spent on the ZT now, will get her back to how she should be, and enjoy more of what the last 17 years has given me!

Regards,

Dave.
daveb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2019, 10:05   #2
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

When I p/x mine, they gave me an amount that said the same thing. Not interested, so I put it up for sale on Facebook and gumtree.
After a being messed about by various time wasters I finally sold it for about 500 more than I was offered via p/x.

In fairness to the dealer it wasn't the sort of car they'd be interested in.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2019, 10:55   #3
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb57 View Post
......... Couple of other bits and pieces that need doing as well. Got to the point where I don't want to fall into the money pit trap, ..................

This is exactly what the dealer does not want to do.

He has basically made the same decision as you yourself had done, the only difference being that in his case the risk is far greater as he does not know the car.

MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2019, 11:27   #4
myfirstrover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 cdi

Sadly our cars do have a limited market appeal , that will always affect the value of them
myfirstrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2019, 11:33   #5
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

It doesn't matter what you trade they tend to rell you that half the time. Always better selling yourself if you can.
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2019, 11:34   #6
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts
Default Longevity

I suppose a good place to read bad news is forums such as these where you tend to see a potted possible future list of disasters that might befall you.

Fortunately the forums also have in abundance the skill and knowledge to either avoid or overcome every difficulty. Therein lies both the problem and the solution.

However, there are problems that seem to occur very frequently that refer to components that never used to be so short-lived. For instance, back plates and discs get repeated mentions along with other components that used to (in other cars) last donkey’s years. Are these and similar items no longer the same quality generally or is it peculiar to the model?
Old 15th August 2019, 15:49   #7
SCP440

MG ZT-T 260

This is not unique to our cars, a mate was swapping his Ford Galaxy in against a newer one at a Ford Dealer and they offered him £50 , One owner from new, 70k, full Ford service history and the only thing wrong with it was a small dent on the passenger door and it needed a good clean. They gave him a decent discount if he didn't swap it in so he gave it to me.

I cleaned it up, got a local dent guy to remove the dent in the door and sold it on the Bay for £880.

All these dealers are going to do is put it through the local auction and probably take a loss.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2019, 19:20   #8
smudge.g
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDTi Connie SE

Its the same as the offers of, for example, £4000 trade in* ('subject to terms & conditions' etc) where the dealer isnt really giving you anything for your trade in, as you pay back the cash/discount over the course of the agreement, with an elevated APR!!. (And the dealer gets shot of another 'scrapper.')
My 75 Tourer CDTi was born Saturday, 21st June 2003 @ 09:50

My 75 was the 18,749th 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
It was the 195th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 2,074
and the 1,789th 75 Tourer in Wedgewood Blue Metallic (code: JEL) to be made out of 1,871 Wedgewood Blue Metallic 75 Tourers
smudge.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2019, 06:36   #9
SCP440

MG ZT-T 260

They do this to save them selves the hassle of numerous warranty problems, a used car dealer I know well will rarely sell anything over 6 years old for this very reason and as he has said the odd time you do it often comes back and bites you. He had a very nice 8 year old VW come in, one owner, low mileage and lots of history. He sold it to a couple who were back within a few days as a warning light was on, that cost him £200 with some workshop time and a new sensor, a few weeks later it was back again this time with an oil leak, another £400 and he thought that was it. No a month later this time another warning light. Anyway by the time it was out of warranty he had lost nearly £300 on it.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2019, 08:58   #10
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
They do this to save them selves the hassle of numerous warranty problems, a used car dealer I know well will rarely sell anything over 6 years old for this very reason and as he has said the odd time you do it often comes back and bites you. He had a very nice 8 year old VW come in, one owner, low mileage and lots of history. He sold it to a couple who were back within a few days as a warning light was on, that cost him £200 with some workshop time and a new sensor, a few weeks later it was back again this time with an oil leak, another £400 and he thought that was it. No a month later this time another warning light. Anyway by the time it was out of warranty he had lost nearly £300 on it.

Agreed. As I said in post #3, there is a financial risk associated with selling old cars. When we bought the Twintop for Mrs MSS, its battery lost charge after one week. The trade seller's garage had already replaced the old battery suspecting that it was weak, a broken spring and carried out a service/MOT. When I took the car back, he ended up taking it to a Vx dealer and it cost him £430 for diagnostics and a new ECU that had excessive current draw. By the time the dealer's salary, forecourt cost, insurance etc. was added the process of selling the car had probably cost him around £800. If the car had been an older £2k Twintop, the dealer would have ended up making a loss.

Most people do not sell or trade in that have no issues.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote