Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th June 2012, 12:12   #1
*ZIMON*

MG ZT

Default Help!!!! HJ54 TCX X POWER GREY

I sold my X power grey ZT190 reg HJ54 TCX with Premium bumper and special stainless grill to someone from Hillside Drive, Great Barr area. He bought it from me on Sunday, drove it home from Somerset and claims now that the head gasket has let go and the car won't run.
I find this suprising, as I have been using this car daily for over six months now and everything has been absolutely fine.
As you can appreciate, I live a long way from there, so very difficult to know what's going on. I think there are quite a few members in that area and they would definitely spot the car, as it is unique.
So the question is has any one seen the car driving in the area from Monday 11th June or today 12th June??? Thanks everyone.
*ZIMON* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 16:03   #2
calibrax
Posted a thing or two

BMW 4 Series

Shouldn't matter. Private sale, he bought the car, which was fine when it was sold to him, it's up to him to check it completely. He legally has no comeback against you (unless you are a trader). His car... his bad luck.

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 160 (sadly now gone!)
2015 BMW 435d GranCoupe XDrive
calibrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 18:29   #3
Thomas
This is my second home

MG6 1.8T GT SE

Moved to general forum
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 18:32   #4
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Private sale
Sold as seen.

A HGF would not stop it running

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 18:42   #5
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by *ZIMON* View Post
I sold my X power grey ZT190 reg HJ54 TCX with Premium bumper and special stainless grill to someone from Hillside Drive, Great Barr area. He bought it from me on Sunday, drove it home from Somerset and claims now that the head gasket has let go and the car won't run.
I find this suprising, as I have been using this car daily for over six months now and everything has been absolutely fine.
As you can appreciate, I live a long way from there, so very difficult to know what's going on. I think there are quite a few members in that area and they would definitely spot the car, as it is unique.
So the question is has any one seen the car driving in the area from Monday 11th June or today 12th June??? Thanks everyone.
Not your problem. Private sale. In order for him to pursue a claim he would have to prove he was deliberately mislead by you if you claimed say there was no problem with the engine. Otherwise it is 'buyer beware'. A statement in an advert saying that I have had no problem with the car cannot be construed to mean there are no problems as five minutes after the sale has concluded, the engine can blow up.

Don't have a sleepless night over this one.

Last edited by rover54; 12th June 2012 at 21:37..
rover54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 07:11   #6
kardiokate
Regular poster

Vauxhall Agila

With it being a 190 I assume it's a v6 which are not known for HGF?

IMO he's trying it on... Not that he has any comeback anyway.
kardiokate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 08:05   #7
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

He might have been unfortunate and got a split thermostat housing? Very much doubt it has suffered HGF unless the bottom coolant pipe that runs across the front of the car to the oil cooler has let go at speed....complete melt-down is then fairly assured! But he would have to be incredibly unlucky for that to have occurred when it did...
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 10:09   #8
*ZIMON*

MG ZT

Thanks to you all for all the comments and advice. I am not a trader and definitely have had sleepless nights over this.
People I know and who know the car (some in the motor trade) to whom I've explained the whole story in detail think it's a scam on the buyers part.
*ZIMON* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 10:35   #9
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Ask him to pay for your train fare or petrol to go down and see the car or get a garages opinion sent out to you then perhaps you and him can come to some sort of arrangement. if he is not willling to do this then something is fishy if does as you ask then you need to think how you would feel if you had just bought the car for this to happen would you like the seller to help you out in some way i would and i would most certainly help the buyer if i had sold it him, good luck and keep us informed Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 11:59   #10
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Ask him to pay for your train fare or petrol to go down and see the car or get a garages opinion sent out to you then perhaps you and him can come to some sort of arrangement. if he is not willling to do this then something is fishy if does as you ask then you need to think how you would feel if you had just bought the car for this to happen would you like the seller to help you out in some way i would and i would most certainly help the buyer if i had sold it him, good luck and keep us informed Arctic.
I wouldn't even bother with doing that!

Private sale, with the car sold in good faith!

If he takes it to small claims Court (unlikely) HE has to prove that you knew that the car had the problem when you sold it (almost impossible)

I had something similar when I sold my old C240, about a week after I sold it, he contacted me to tell me that the car had gone flat over night in a car park and what was I going to do about it?

I completely ignored his question and just told him what work I had done on the car (which he knew already) and told him that it had never done that before and hoped that he got the problem sorted quickly!

Never heard from him again!
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote