Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st February 2015, 22:36   #31
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hi Colin,

You've explained this before, but I'm afraid I don't understand your point. You seem to be criticising Haynes on the basis of Terry's experience, so shouldn't you take responsibility for your own signature?
I'm criticising Haynes based on my own experience, and using the opinion of a very well-regarded mechanic to back me up - I came across his quote when I was searching the internet for help with something that Haynes had got wrong and I therefore struggled with, and the quote amused me

Quote:
I agree, but you're contradicting your signature Colin
Not really - my signature relates to that one particular job, it doesn't say that Haynes is wrong on everything. To the contrary, it seems to be right for most things. As I said in my previous post, it is a mixed bag. But my signature wouldn't work as well with a disclaimer, it would lose the humour

Quote:
There are errors in the MGR official manual. Garages make errors, main dealers make errors, governments make errors which cost human lives. Why single out poor old Haynes for criticism?
Poor old Haynes? What about poor Bolin and no doubt others who have been stumped, annoyed and had to get help elsewhere because of the errors? This is a car forum, a Haynes manual is a very common thing for car owners to have, so it is very appropriate in my signature on a car forum. Haynes manuals are supposed to be based on a strip-down and rebuild, so they should really be right! It's a bit like buying a TV which works perfectly well almost all of the time, but occasionally turns itself off for no reason.

A common abbreviation on car forums is HBOL, I will let you look it up But it shows I am not the only one with some gripes.

But as I said before, it is very useful for almost all jobs, and pretty much an essential starting point for any job.

To Haynes credit, they do show some wiring diagrams, which I understand the big MGR book you can buy doesn't, and the full diagrams cannot be bought legitimately 'off the shelf'. And Haynes is reasonably priced.

Mine is falling apart, that tells you how much I have used it
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2015, 05:01   #32
MGBJM
Loves to post

MG ZT+ CDTi

"A common abbreviation on car forums is HBOL, I will let you look it up But it shows I am not the only one with some gripes."

According to Google it stands for "Hermetic Brotherhood Of Luxor"

I must admit, I'm confused!

Last edited by MGBJM; 22nd February 2015 at 05:36.. Reason: Deleted quotation marks in error, put them back in now.
MGBJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2015, 06:00   #33
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

I would like an electronic version for the PC, something like what Rimmers use, but I guess they are only for people like them that are in the trade.
I have a Haynes for my two 75`s and use it quite often to try and work out what some members are talking about because a few you tell it as if everyone knows what part is called what Etc Etc
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2015, 06:51   #34
bobberjob

MG ZT-T

I'm an enthusiast and 'armchair engineer'. I've had Haynes manual for all my cars and studied them just to learn about the cars. The technical drawings were magnificent and although I'm just about capable of changing the oil I love learning about the mechanics.

I even remember "Autobooks' which was an alternative in the early days and sometime crop up at car boots.

The factory issued manuals are fantastic but expensive so Haynes do their job.

Sad to see that they are closing the manual business but it's the way things are going.

Before the internet the only way we could meet other members and share experiences was by waiting patiently for a monthly newsletter or travelling to a club meeting. (A month is long time to get a 'fix' for your favourite car.)

Thank you Mr Haynes for being part of my motoring experience
bobberjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2015, 09:48   #35
Freebyrd
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyeth View Post
I would like an electronic version for the PC, something like what Rimmers use, but I guess they are only for people like them that are in the trade.
I have a Haynes for my two 75`s and use it quite often to try and work out what some members are talking about because a few you tell it as if everyone knows what part is called what Etc Etc
Ken.
Perhaps one day we will be able to download a manual on Kindle. I'm sure Amazon have given it some thought.
Freebyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2015, 13:55   #36
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebyrd View Post
Perhaps one day we will be able to download a manual on Kindle. I'm sure Amazon have given it some thought.
Yep, or sweet talk someone in Rimmers warehouse for a copy
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote