Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th February 2015, 22:12   #11
LotusLC
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi Auto / ZT-T Trophy Blue

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,238 Posts

Which thread was knocking Haynes manuals? .

https://i.imgur.com/Cwa3376m.jpg
LotusLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 22:29   #12
alanjay
Passed Away

Rover 75 Connie Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotuslc View Post
Which thread was knocking Haynes manuals? .
C'mon, are you kidding, you are online a lot and must see them, particularly the club member who posts regularly whilst knocking Haynes in their tag line.
alanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 22:39   #13
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

That'd be me - to be fair the quote is from Terry of T.S. Autos, who has a fantastic reputation with working on MGR cars and actually built the final cars following administration.

I will say that a basic manual, Haynes being one, is essential for working on our cars. There are many jobs not covered by How-To's. It is massively better than nothing.

But there are errors! I have found errors in the KV6 cambelt procedure, KV6 PAS pump procedure (much easier way to remove if you don't need to take the pulley off, using some opening in the pulley which Haynes doesn't mention), and the KV6 coolant refill procedure is very misleading, and if you read very carefully, rather than just casually and looking at the photos, you will realise that it is contradictory!

Such errors are really not helpful for amateur mechanics, precisely the audience that the manuals are aimed for

So they are a mixed bag, but I would say better to have one than not to, but of course whatever manual the manufacturer has published is best to refer to (but often huge, my Allegro one is several times thicker than the Haynes) and club How-To's are very helpful too, and sometimes offer legitimate 'shortcuts' over both (e.g. slam panel removal with crash beam and headlamps).

P.S. the Haynes torque figure for the KV6 outer cambelt covers is wrong, it should be 4nm, not 9nm - and I wrecked a brass thread following their incorrect advice, which should only applied to the inner part of the cover, which screws into the engine block).
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.

Last edited by Bolin; 20th February 2015 at 09:32..
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 22:44   #14
LotusLC
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi Auto / ZT-T Trophy Blue

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,238 Posts

It's just I made a reference to a Haynes manual on the seat of a car and the point I was trying to make was , these cars must break down all the time that you need to carry a Haynes Manual on the seat next to you. I have bought a Haynes Manuel with every car I have bought. They are fantastic books. Sorry if I have got crossed wires .

https://i.imgur.com/Cwa3376m.jpg

Last edited by LotusLC; 20th February 2015 at 01:44..
LotusLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2015, 18:56   #15
alanjay
Passed Away

Rover 75 Connie Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolin View Post
That'd be me - to be fair the quote is from Terry of T.S. Autos, who has a fantastic reputation with working on MGR cars and actually built the final cars following administration.

I will say that a basic manual, Haynes being one, is essential for working on our cars. There are many jobs not covered by How-To's. It is massively better than nothing.

But there are errors! I have found errors in the KV6 cambelt procedure, KV6 PAS pump procedure (much easier way to remove if you don't need to take the pulley off, using some opening in the pulley which Haynes doesn't mention), and the KV6 coolant refill procedure is very misleading, and if you read very carefully, rather than just casually and looking at the photos, you will realise that it is contradictory!

Such errors are really not helpful for amateur mechanics, precisely the audience that the manuals are aimed for

So they are a mixed bag, but I would say better to have one than not to, but of course whatever manual the manufacturer has published is best to refer to (but often huge, my Allegro one is several times thicker than the Haynes) and club How-To's are very helpful too, and sometimes offer legitimate 'shortcuts' over both (e.g. slam panel removal with crash beam and headlamps).

P.S. the Haynes torque figure for the KV6 outer cambelt covers is wrong, it should be 4nm, not 9nm - and I wrecked a brass thread following their incorrect advice, which should only applied to the inner part of the cover, which screws into the engine block).
Not knocking you or your opinion, just saying at least Haynes help those in areas the car manufactures do not.
Old 20th February 2015, 19:02   #16
alanjay
Passed Away

Rover 75 Connie Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotuslc View Post
It's just I made a reference to a Haynes manual on the seat of a car and the point I was trying to make was , these cars must break down all the time that you need to carry a Haynes Manual on the seat next to you. I have bought a Haynes Manuel with every car I have bought. They are fantastic books. Sorry if I have got crossed wires .
As responded to Bolin "Not knocking you or your opinion, just saying at least Haynes help those in areas the car manufactures do not."

And as I originally posted, the club is happy to have a national at the Haynes museum, just don't want Haynes to think club members are hypocritical.
Old 20th February 2015, 19:14   #17
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolin View Post
Hi Colin,

You've explained this before, but I'm afraid I don't understand your point. You seem to be criticising Haynes on the basis of Terry's experience, so shouldn't you take responsibility for your own signature?

Quote:
I agree, but you're contradicting your signature Colin!

Quote:
But there are errors!
There are errors in the MGR official manual. Garages make errors, main dealers make errors, governments make errors which cost human lives. Why single out poor old Haynes for criticism?

Simon
Old 20th February 2015, 19:40   #18
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

I would like to add a tiny bit here.

I have always bought the Haynes manual for every car I have owned but----------There are some glaring errors like on the R75 when it says the brake and clutch reservoirs are combined and found under the bonnet !!! ) Oooops.

But even worse I had a fiat with self adjusting drum brakes which operated through a Friction washer.
HAYNES said GREASE this washer. The result being NO brakes because the shoes withdrew from the drums as there was no friction from this washer to stop them, LETHAL advice.

The fiat model was updated the following year and the Haynes manual was re-issued to cover it with the advice----Do not in any circumstances allow oil or grease to contaminate the brake friction washer. LOl

There are several items in the R75 manual that are wrong but not lethal.-

Though I guess keeping on filling up the brake reservoir in an attempt to make the clutch work could be classed as a bit annoying.

HAYNES never seem to print amendments to their errors. I wonder why not.

Colvert. Onwards and upwards.-

Last edited by COLVERT; 20th February 2015 at 19:47..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2015, 19:46   #19
Ps3000
Gets stuck in

None at moment

I'm a fan of Haynes books (not just the car ones, I have the Concorde one and the Toddler one as well). You do have to be careful, but they are a useful reference.

As for errors - I remember in those heady days of the 70s and 80s, for popular models they did reissue with updates and corrections, but it was easier then as they were selling a lot more. Hard to imagine they are selling many R75 manuals at present.

I've been to the museum and it was a joy.
Ps3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2015, 20:08   #20
CimmaronG
Gets stuck in

Roverless at present :-(

Like most here, always go buy a Haynes manual as a reference, but having a good forum helps a lot. Still got most of the manuals though.
Left the production line 08:07:14hrs on 01/07/2004

'Best to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it'
CimmaronG is offline   Reply With Quote