Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th December 2015, 11:10   #1
peelaaa
Posted a thing or two

75 cdti 2004 contemporary

Default Driver leather seat bottome has lost support

My car has nearly 184k miles and the front driver seat bottom does not have as much support as before, probably due to my bony behind.

It is very noticeable when you sit in the passenger seat and how much more firm that feels.

Can this be fixed via a new support?

Last edited by peelaaa; 8th December 2015 at 14:09..
peelaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2015, 17:32   #2
stonerose72
Loves to post

Pearl Black MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=172237

Might be helpful to you.
stonerose72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2015, 19:00   #3
hinged_bap
Gets stuck in

75 CDT Conn SE Auto saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by peelaaa View Post
My car has nearly 184k miles and the front driver seat bottom does not have as much support as before, probably due to my bony behind.

It is very noticeable when you sit in the passenger seat and how much more firm that feels.

Can this be fixed via a new support?
interesting, do you feel you are sat a few inches lower and the seat generally feels looser ( if you try and move it around ). A couple of years ago, mine did.

There is a steel bar that runs left to right ( at the rear of the seat bottom ) and each end is welded into a U shape thingy in the left and right hand seat sideframes. On one the weld had broken, the bar fell out of the U shaped thingy and caused havoc. There was enough U shaped section ( in length ) to re-attach the bar using jubilee clips and all has been well since.
hinged_bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2015, 19:58   #4
peelaaa
Posted a thing or two

75 cdti 2004 contemporary

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinged_bap View Post
interesting, do you feel you are sat a few inches lower and the seat generally feels looser ( if you try and move it around ). A couple of years ago, mine did.

There is a steel bar that runs left to right ( at the rear of the seat bottom ) and each end is welded into a U shape thingy in the left and right hand seat sideframes. On one the weld had broken, the bar fell out of the U shaped thingy and caused havoc. There was enough U shaped section ( in length ) to re-attach the bar using jubilee clips and all has been well since.
Thats sounds very similar to the problem.
Was it a big job to fix? Did you have to remove the seat or could you get at it while still fitted in car?
peelaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2015, 20:29   #5
hinged_bap
Gets stuck in

75 CDT Conn SE Auto saloon

not a big job at all. Check first, from the rear footwell, put your fingers up the rear edge of the bottom seat ( where all the gubbins are ), you'll feel a sharpish edge and then, an inch or so in, is a steel tube, circa 5/8 maybe 3/4" dia, it runs left to right and it is this that each end sits in U thingies and is welded to the side frames ( the U's are integral to the side frames) This tube should feel solid with no movement. On mine it was at an angle and wobbled ( because the weld at one end had broken and it had fallen out of the U ). I removed the 4 seat rail to chassis bolts ( female torx bolts iirc ) and then tilted the seat backwards. You can then see the tube better, I was able to re-fasten the tube to the U with 2 jubilee clips and its been fine since. Whilst I was at it, I also inserted supplementary wiring to the airbag connectors.

I wouldn't feel comortable saying you could do this with seat still bolted in. Also, the U was still attached to the side frame, if thats broke off your problem is a bigger one than mine.

Last edited by hinged_bap; 8th December 2015 at 20:35..
hinged_bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2016, 18:42   #6
DaPol
Loves to post

75 CDTi Saloon

Resurrecting a thread but....

I fitted the Waeco heater to my seat today, and in doing so discovered that the springs had very definitely sagged, and as a result the foam had torn - the overhang on the right hand side is actually now separate from the rest.

Anybody got any idea if replacement foam and springs for a Mk2 are available anywhere, or if they were ever separate components?

I could go the way of 2nd hand seats, but if I were doing that I'd want to go Mk1 which would mean the rear seat back wouldn't be usable ("proper" release catches on the Mk2 and the back as a single piece, where the Mk1 has the pull-tapes and a 3 piece seat back) and I want to retain the droppable rear seat - I use that quite a bit.
DaPol is offline   Reply With Quote