Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th September 2007, 14:24   #1
Dave Goody
This is my second home

15 years of 75s & ZTs now an XTrail

Default Re. Banter about where we live

Just recently there have been a couple of threads where some people were offended by their hometowns/counties being joked about. I have even received a pm about a joke I made about a city in the UK.
Please everbody this is just banter, if the Scottish, Irish, Welsh, English all took offence about the jokes made about their homelands we would be in the middle of a UK war now. There will always be jokes about the different cities in the UK and having travelled over the world for years it is the same on every continent. Belgians are the butt of most jokes in Holland & France.
Living in Essex and obviously being a drug dealer, with a wife who is a slapper means I am a target all the time but laugh along with the others as the jokes are exactly that, "Jokes" Unfortunately my drug dealing days are over now as at 58 I can only get into the nightclubs on Granny night and that cuts down on sales, the wife being slightly older do's have to wear underwear these days as she feels the cold.
Please everybody take this banter in the humorous way intended, it is all tongue in cheek and we want nobody to be offended by it.
I humbly express my apologies to anyone offended, but would hope that we dont have to keep thinking about upsetting people when the chance to make a joke presents itself. Banning banter like this would make a wonderfull, helpfull and often amusing forum a very boring place to be.
Again opologies to anyone offended, It is open season on Essex, I promise not to take offence but bet I know more Essex jokes than most:lol: Dave

When I was a kid I was scared of earwigs because I thought they actually lived in your ears. I was even more terrified of cockroaches!
Dave Goody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007, 14:29   #2
Tom Collins
Posted a thing or two

Mondeo 2.0 cdti Ghia Auto

I'm sure it's meant to be a bit of fun.

Anyway, I'm not going to start throwing stones. I live in Leicester.
Tom Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007, 14:54   #3
Pete
Owners Club Director

Rover 75

As a guilty party on this I'm happy to raise my hand and apologise. I do hope this does not become a taboo matter though as I have lots of jokes about people from West Bromwich.

Follow The Club On Twitter
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007, 15:26   #4
Gryphon
Passed Away

75 CDT Connoisseur + VW Trike + Kawasaki 1000LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Goody View Post
Just recently there have been a couple of threads where some people were offended by their hometowns/counties being joked about. I have even received a pm about a joke I made about a city in the UK.
Please everbody this is just banter, if the Scottish, Irish, Welsh, English all took offence about the jokes made about their homelands we would be in the middle of a UK war now. There will always be jokes about the different cities in the UK and having travelled over the world for years it is the same on every continent. Belgians are the butt of most jokes in Holland & France.
Living in Essex and obviously being a drug dealer, with a wife who is a slapper means I am a target all the time but laugh along with the others as the jokes are exactly that, "Jokes" Unfortunately my drug dealing days are over now as at 58 I can only get into the nightclubs on Granny night and that cuts down on sales, the wife being slightly older do's have to wear underwear these days as she feels the cold.
Please everybody take this banter in the humorous way intended, it is all tongue in cheek and we want nobody to be offended by it.
I humbly express my apologies to anyone offended, but would hope that we dont have to keep thinking about upsetting people when the chance to make a joke presents itself. Banning banter like this would make a wonderfull, helpfull and often amusing forum a very boring place to be.
Again opologies to anyone offended, It is open season on Essex, I promise not to take offence but bet I know more Essex jokes than most:lol: Dave

Wot Harmless banter dont take a fence take a gate instead
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007, 16:28   #5
Z135T
Avid contributor

MG ZT 135+

lets hope we don't go along the road where we daren't open our mouths against other groups/towns/countries etc,where for years we've taken the mick out of each other e.g Geordies (me) regularly told we're just Scotsman with our brains bashed or the usual Englishman,Irishmen/Welsh and Scotsmen jokes.I wonder whether our ethnic friends would accept the banter in the same manner?.

Essex girls and drug dealers or how about the Scally's in Liverpool.

am awaitng a PM now to get told off.
Z135T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007, 16:36   #6
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

I have no problems as one of the Moderators and Members with Friendly banter meant in that way of course,
Don't forget I come from and live in Wales so I have loads of Jokes, Names thrown at me!
As long as they are in the right context and correct manner etc I see no reason to stop it.
Deliberate or otherwise, abuse, foul Language, Racial tension, name calling etc will be jumped on severely.

Last edited by JohnDotCom; 11th September 2007 at 16:46..
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007, 16:41   #7
SMC Trading
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z135T View Post
lets hope we don't go along the road where we daren't open our mouths against other groups/towns/countries etc,where for years we've taken the mick out of each other e.g Geordies (me) regularly told we're just Scotsman with our brains bashed or the usual Englishman,Irishmen/Welsh and Scotsmen jokes.I wonder whether our ethnic friends would accept the banter in the same manner?.

Essex girls and drug dealers or how about the Scally's in Liverpool.

am awaitng a PM now to get told off.
I think you have to be very careful, making jokes about a town or it's people are one thing, we all do that but when you start bringing in our ethnic friends that is something quite different and should not be tolerated in my opinion

Last edited by SMC Trading; 11th September 2007 at 16:44.. Reason: spelling mistake!
SMC Trading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007, 16:50   #8
Gryphon
Passed Away

75 CDT Connoisseur + VW Trike + Kawasaki 1000LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC Trading View Post
I think you have to be very careful, making jokes about a town or it's people are one thing, we all do that but when you start bringing in our ethnic friends that is something quite different and should not be tolerated in my opinion

Why not what is the difference between making a joke about a Yorkshireman (myself) Irish, Scottish,Welsh,Indian,Pakistani,West indian,Russian,Polish or whoever if it is done with harmless banter why not
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007, 16:53   #9
DoDo
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

er....sense of humour bypass.
Now I will get it in the ear.

God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece
DoDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007, 16:55   #10
SMC Trading
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
Why not what is the difference between making a joke about a Yorkshireman (myself) Irish, Scottish,Welsh,Indian,Pakistani,West indian,Russian,Polish or whoever if it is done with harmless banter why not
Just my personal opinion, I see that in a different light and think it is overstepping the mark, as I say it's just my personal opinion
SMC Trading is offline   Reply With Quote