Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th February 2020, 11:57   #21
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
You might try measuring the fuel delivery pressure at the Schrader valve. It can be done using a mechanical tyre pressure gauge (NOT a digital/electronic one = fire hazard). Get an assistant to turn the ignition key to position 2 while you carfully hold the pressure gauge to the valve. While the pump runs, you must see at least 50psi pressure. If not, I'd suggest you think about a new pump.
You said it's got the earlier type fuel filter. Did you see it yourself?

TC

Now tested the pressure with a gauge on the Schraeder valve, pressure immediately builds to 20psi . Engine started (bit reluctant as battery was down) but ran for only a few seconds before dying. Pressure maintained at 15+psi.
So, is it a fuel pump issue; if 50psi is required then presumably yes.
As to the filter, yes it is the older one with the two loops.
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2020, 13:10   #22
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Similar to mine ... https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...=286990&page=3 - in my case the actual pump was fine but some bayonet connectors had worked themselves loose. Later talked to an ex-Rover mechanic who reckoned he's seen it before when the filters (early type) became clogged-up. Never did anything to the filter and the car is still in almost daily use.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2020, 14:23   #23
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2roverman View Post

Yes. It needs 50psi minimum to run.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2020, 15:55   #24
Shapfell
Loves to post

Rover 75 Conn SE saloon / MG ZTT cdti auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Yes. It needs 50psi minimum to run.

TC

Hmmm, I now wonder if my regulator is overpressurising the fuel rail and causing the high emissions problem. Must look into that... Thanks for the info!

2004 Conn SE 1.8
Work so far:-
Gerry T, Rad Fan Resistor, Handbrake Compensator, Bonnet Catch Block, Leather Handbrake gaiter, Journey Camera,
Sean's DD Unit with Freeview!, Towbar, Rear Sunblind, Smiley!, Headlamp Protectors, Alloy Intake, R75 Brolly, Puddle lights, reversing camera.

2006 MG ZTT 160+ cdti auto; for disposal.

2004 Connie CDTi Tourer; replacement for the ZTT.
Shapfell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2020, 18:42   #25
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
I'd say possibly. It's safer to say that it's a problem inside the fuel tank. I remember someone recently finding a disconnected internal hose which affected the fuel delivery pressure. I would be cautious about spending money on a replacement pump until you have checked all other possibilities.

Simon
Old 18th February 2020, 17:42   #26
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

I thought a camshaft sensor failure only could cause non starting but not cut outs as described - whilst a failing crank sensor can cause no starts and cut outs But the PSi for the fuel pump does look too low.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2020, 01:32   #27
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

Quote:
Now tested the pressure with a gauge on the Schraeder valve, pressure immediately builds to 20psi . Engine started (bit reluctant as battery was down) but ran for only a few seconds before dying. Pressure maintained at 15+psi.
As to the filter, yes it is the older one with the two loops.
Hi Mike, if that's the case then it's got to be one of 3 things, either the fuel pump has given up the ghost, the filter is blocked or it could be the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail that is restricting the pressure.

If you test the pressure at the Schraeder valve that's after the regulator, I'd be inclined to test the pressure before the regulator
If the pressure is still low then it must be one of the first two

Also bear in mind that the in-tank pump has a pressure release poppet valve on the top of the pump insert if this is stuck open you won't get enough pressure also, if it sticks shut it can lead to too much pressure both events are rare but can happen

Happened to me once, blew the fuel filter apart as the pressure exceeded 130 psi

Changing the pump fixed the issue.

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.

Last edited by BigRuss; 19th February 2020 at 09:57.. Reason: Auto spelling error
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2020, 19:23   #28
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
Hi Mike, if that's the case then it's got to be one of 3 things, either the fuel pump has given up the ghost, the filter is blocked or it could be the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail that is restricting the pressure.

If you test the pressure at the Schraeder valve that's after the regulator, I'd be inclined to test the pressure before the regulator
If the pressure is still low then it must be one of the first two
Russ

I wondered about filter blockage bearing in mind some of the petrol in the tank could be two years old.

Where is the pressure regulator, and is there a take off point where I can attach a pressure gauge? I have one with several types of srcew connections including the schraeder valve.

Looks like I'll be going into the tank. What a complicated system but thanks to T-cut's diagram and the RAVE DVD I can now see how the supply system works.
Old 23rd March 2020, 15:44   #29
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
Also bear in mind that the in-tank pump has a pressure release poppet valve on the top of the pump insert if this is stuck open you won't get enough pressure also

Had a further look at this problem today. Fed the pump with an external 12volt source, hesrd it running but seemed to be much quieter than the other car. Absolute zero pressure registered at the schraeder valve.

So is my best approach to investigate the pump for the pressure relese valve or check the filter side? Neither a job I relish as there seems to be a lot of pipework and electrical connection inside the tank.

Also, does anyone make or supply the special tool for undoing the rings holding the pump and filter in the tank? Might it be a tool standard to the industry I can get from a good moyor factors ot tool supplier?
Old 23rd March 2020, 16:39   #30
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Also, does anyone make or supply the special tool for undoing the rings holding the pump and filter in the tank? Might it be a tool standard to the industry I can get from a good moyor factors ot tool supplier?
It's special tool number 19-009 in RAVE (p19-2-22 Repairs) - you won't find one in a motor factor. Someone here made one and posted a pic - it might have been Arctic or Stocktake, or anybody else (I can't remember ).

EDIT

This could be it - https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...-lrt-497124747 - it's the right shape anyway.

https://www.dingocroft.co.uk/acatalo...ZZLAS6110.html

Looks like I was wrong - you can buy it after all (assuming this is the right one).

Last edited by Blink; 23rd March 2020 at 16:45..
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote