Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th February 2020, 10:58   #1
elnoxx

Rover 75 Saloon

Question Clutch Issue (HELP)

Hi guys,

Rover 75 2.5L V6 (2003)

About 2 weeks ago i turned on my car and my clutch lost about 50% of its resistance when pressing it down with my foot.

The resistance is around half as much as it was before and the other issue is that afterwards i had trouble putting in my gears it would require quite some force to put in the gears, 1-2 and reverse being the hardest.

I drove around like that for 2 weeks now and found out that when the car runs for longer and also hotter it would work more smoothly but only sometimes.
The clutch has never recovered fully though but often i feel like it has but only maybe 1 in 10+ times i press it.

I watched some videos on clutch issues and one suggested that the break fluid might be low which can have this exact effect.
Is the break fluid shared with the clutch?

I checked my container but sadly it seems its an aftermarket one because it does not have a MAX sign... only 2 lines made with a marker.

However i cannot see where the fluid is even with a flashlight behind the container.

So here are my questions:

Is the break fluid suppose to be black or clear?
Is the break fluid shared with the clutch in any way?
Has someone had this issue before?
Does this sound like big trouble?

Huge thanks!
elnoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2020, 11:27   #2
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

The clutch master cylinder is up above the brake and clutch pedals not under the bonnet as stated in the Haynes manual) it is under the dashboard. Check for fluid leaks around there. If so, the master cylinder will need replacing. Also check for leaks under the gearbox bell housing as this will indicate a leaking slave cylinder (gearbox off to fix with full clutch).

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...inder+location