Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th March 2010, 06:52   #1
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Default Another mobile phone question

I'm in the process of changing my phone and provider

( see here )

I'm leaving T-Mobile due to their lack of interest in upgrading me. However, the phone I want and the amount I want to pay is best on, er, T-Mobile!

Going through mobilephonesdirect, is there any "law" that says I can't have two contracts with TM, then wind one up and port to old number to the new? Or I am forced to go with, in this case, Vodaphone?

Thanks for any forthcoming shared knowledge!
Old 11th March 2010, 08:31   #2
Keleko
Loves to post

Aurora ZT CDTI SE - pumping 169bhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_dave&gill View Post
I'm in the process of changing my phone and provider

( see here )

I'm leaving T-Mobile due to their lack of interest in upgrading me. However, the phone I want and the amount I want to pay is best on, er, T-Mobile!

Going through mobilephonesdirect, is there any "law" that says I can't have two contracts with TM, then wind one up and port to old number to the new? Or I am forced to go with, in this case, Vodaphone?

Thanks for any forthcoming shared knowledge!
There is no law that say you can't have 2 contracts with a provider. Do you need to keep your number? You can do this but it is a long winded process which involves moving it to a pay as ya go sim as you cannot port a number after you start the contract, you need it at point of connection.

If you are not too mythered about your number then its just a case of texting everyone your new number and finishing up the 1st connection when it ends.

When i worked in the industry i had at least one number with each provider hehe

Bare in mind that Orange and T-mobile have just signed a dead to become the biggest provider in the UK. So maybe give Orange a go
Old 11th March 2010, 08:54   #3
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keleko View Post
There is no law that say you can't have 2 contracts with a provider. Do you need to keep your number? You can do this but it is a long winded process which involves moving it to a pay as ya go sim as you cannot port a number after you start the contract, you need it at point of connection.
I have the porting code already and TM told me that I needed to contact the new folks once I had the contract. Didn't say anything about PAYG...

I want to keep the number for no other reason other than I've had it for 15 years and don't like change!!!!
Old 11th March 2010, 18:05   #4
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Well, after a lot of f*rting about, got a conclusion

Initial "offer" from T-Mobile was going to cost me £289 sticking to the same price plan

Next one was was to up my monthly payment by £10 to get a free phone (over 18 months, would have cost me £180 more)

Then £15 more over 24 months (this made no sense at all!) which would have been £360 more

When I rang to end the contract they managed an offer of £5 a month more for 24 months - best so far but still £120 more

This is when I said goodbye

Today they rang me and asked what I would want to stay with them. I said "new phone, same price plan" - then ended up with the new phone but for £5 a month less...

So, got the result I wanted but why did they make me jump through hoops to get it?!??!
Old 11th March 2010, 20:31   #5
Keleko
Loves to post

Aurora ZT CDTI SE - pumping 169bhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_dave&gill View Post
Well, after a lot of f*rting about, got a conclusion

Initial "offer" from T-Mobile was going to cost me £289 sticking to the same price plan

Next one was was to up my monthly payment by £10 to get a free phone (over 18 months, would have cost me £180 more)

Then £15 more over 24 months (this made no sense at all!) which would have been £360 more

When I rang to end the contract they managed an offer of £5 a month more for 24 months - best so far but still £120 more

This is when I said goodbye

Today they rang me and asked what I would want to stay with them. I said "new phone, same price plan" - then ended up with the new phone but for £5 a month less...

So, got the result I wanted but why did they make me jump through hoops to get it?!??!
They get commission on retaining a customer, it would have been the retention team that called you today. They have more 'power' than the upgrade team. You'll find that quite a lot of the time as long as your worth keeping

Not sure if i'm worth keeping any more as i'm on a sim only with o2, pay £12.50 (special discount) a month for 600 mins and 1000 texts and unlimited net. I just have to buy a phone when i get bored of my old one which is about 6 months lol

Last edited by Keleko; 11th March 2010 at 20:34..
Keleko is offline   Reply With Quote