Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > News Bulletins > Discussion
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th June 2019, 20:08   #1
Dc99

Rover 75 cdt club se 2002

Default Why do i have to replace suspension parts every year?

Just had the scruff mot'd. Every year same old fail...... front suspension.
Drop links in particular, plus a wishbone this year. Sinced i've owned the old scruff i've never had a pass because of this. Is this a 75 bugbear?

thanks Dave.
Dc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2019, 20:26   #2
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

As soon as I read the title I knew the thread would contain 'droplinks'. Had my 04 f/lift a year and the droplinks were replaced just before I bought it, they now need replacing. On my old car I replaced the links for a set from DMGRS, they were still good 4 yrs on when I scrapped the car. I'm guessing quality is key.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2019, 20:28   #3
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc99 View Post
Just had the scruff mot'd. Every year same old fail...... front suspension.
Drop links in particular, plus a wishbone this year. Sinced i've owned the old scruff i've never had a pass because of this. Is this a 75 bugbear?

thanks Dave.
cheap parts yes, it is very common. drop links can be had for £10 per pair, but there are preferred ones, that are around £30 per pair, with new old stock originals being something like £30 each

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 07:30   #4
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Cheap parts are one reason they don't last. I have a theory as well that engine mounts sagging also increases wear on the drop links. Check your engine mounts are good especially the top offside mount for collapse. This puts the engine lower than it should be placing the drive shafts at a different angle, maybe this is putting pressure on the drop link joints that they shouldn't have. when I changed mine it improved (a bit) the bang as you go over road humps (mines the diesel = heavy engine). Our 1.8 takes the road humps much better. Mine has failed twice on drop links the last two years - but due to the rubber boots perishing at the bottom of the link.

*N.B - The 1.8 has also failed on drop links in the past, but they do last a lot longer than on the cdt.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 08:07   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default Repetitive suspension failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc99 View Post
Just had the scruff mot'd. Every year same old fail...... front suspension ... Is this a 75 bugbear?
No Dave. My view on this is rather contentious but nevertheless experience tells me it's true.

The most likely reason is driving technique. Yes, none of us likes to admit that we sometimes don't get it right, myself included, but no-one can go through life without making a mistake now and again.

So what do I mean by 'driving technique'? Principally I mean traversing speed humps and driving through standing water.
  • I've observed that 99% of drivers drive over speed humps as fast as they possibly can. This applies maximum stress to suspension components, particularly from the chamfered speed 'tablets' which, when straddled, apply an outward force to the wall of the tyre, a part which is not designed to resist this.
  • Our roads are poorly maintained and standing rainwater is commonplace. By driving at an appropriate speed it is usually possible to avoid driving through such puddles, ponds or lakes! But again, everyone ploughs on regardless dousing their suspension components in a high pressure blast of water which probably contains grit, mud and other detritus. This will obviously hasten the deterioration of anything it hits.

Since I changed my approach to these hazards several years ago I have never had to renew any suspension components. My 75 has its original "drop links" and front lower suspension arm (it's not a wishbone! ) rear mountings and it's now 20 years old!

The other possible reason Dave is that your MOT tester is setting the standard above what is reasonable with the result that you are paying for repairs which others would consider unnecessary. However, whenever I suggest this, I hear that the company in question has been friends of the family for decades and their work is always of the highest quality and so such a misjudgement could not possibly be the case.

There you go.

Simon
Old 8th June 2019, 20:23   #6
Dc99

Rover 75 cdt club se 2002

Thanks for your replies guys. I must admit i have used cheaper parts and live in a part of the country voted the worst roads in the country. 'MORE SPEED HUMPS AND POT HOLES THAN POPULATION' But, averaging less than 3k a year and being no boy racer (it's a cdt) you expect more than a year from aftermarket parts?? Will give the engine mounts a good look over too. Thnks.
Dc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2019, 18:07   #7
Odd Job
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.0 cdti

I've read the above posts with interest.

I've recently bought my ZT cdti, and the front suspension is making noises like a badly out of time drummer!

I've not had chance to check it out, but it sounds more than just drop links.
Anything else the front suspension is prone for?
I understand there are some big bushes on the bottom suspension arms that clap out?

Are these a DIY job?

### MG STANDS FOR "MY GREMLIN" !!!
Odd Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2019, 09:24   #8
oldcarguy
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

Just ordered a pair of cheap droplinks as mine failed the MOT on perished rubber boots so if they last 12month I'll put my original ones back on using the boots of this pair.
oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2019, 10:16   #9
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

EEk my pet HATE !!!!1

My original drop links replaced some month back with Meyle stuff we will see?.

The originals were still ok but rusty and on their 2nd set of rubber boots.

As for other stuff lower arms being done very soon.

NS still orignal at 156k miles , OS this will be the 4th arm on in 5 years ..
But both a bit noisy now , quite happy with the NS just wearing out , but the OS ..Grrr!! original replaced by a dodgy garage for no reason, with one from a VERY "reputable" Supplier lasted 11k, then I fitted a QH arm , this has done about 25k , and now seems due .

So really its pot luck , they are all made in the far east ..despite where you get them, some will be just ok , others rubbish.

you can get 3yrs warranty on some but usually from an EU supplier, but pass on how that warranty actaully works out? .

otherwise its 12-24months which in suspension terms is a nonsense unless you do 25k plus a year.

C
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2022, 21:43   #10
jonnyboi

mg zt+

been heavey car and been rover set up bushes take a battering
jonnyboi is offline   Reply With Quote