Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th April 2014, 08:20   #11
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumper75 View Post
Restorer 2000 does a fairly good job of recovering data even from drives with physical faults. It's not free though.

What I find amazing though is that you have a 250mb drive! That must date back to the early 90s. If it's lasted this long it's done well. That can't be the case you mean gb surely.
It was 250Gb, sorry - but I do have drives still around as small (large?) as 5Mb.

As already said, the XXClone did seem to do the job, seemed to transfer everything, it booted and ran from the new drive fine, then seemed to deteriorate in use to the point where it became unusable. I tried it several times, because it seemed so odd.

I finally tried the free version of Acronis, as available with a Seagate drive and that worked fine and it is still working fine. Nothing important seems to have been lost at all.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2014, 09:12   #12
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

I run a mirrored pair and so far have coped with a failing drive, by replacement and writing back to the new one.

Last edited by KWIL; 11th April 2014 at 10:03..
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2014, 20:05   #13
Jumper75
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connoisseur CDT Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post
I run a mirrored pair and so far have coped with a failing drive, by replacement and writing back to the new one.
Yes, windows pro series can do this in software. The best solution for that currently is the SPM-394 from span.com. It's a SATA/SAS interface that plugs into the HDD connector on the motherboard. It beats all the software based cards because it's not driver based so the OS doesn't even see it. That means you can reload an Acronis or Macrium image to an array without having to make a special boot disk.
Jumper75 is offline   Reply With Quote