Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th December 2018, 22:32   #1
Mogodon
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 135+ Diesel Auto Mk2. Nisan Micra 1.4 SVE Auto.

Default Motorway Driving Rant.

Done a lot of motorway and dual carridgway miles this week ( M1, M25, M4 and A45 ).

SWMBO says I'm starting to suffer from GOMS (grumpy old man syndrome) as I expressed my irritation (frequently according to her) of drivers at junctions, who just before the exit slip road who are in the outside lanes, intead of dropping in behind you and exiting, decide to put their foot down, overtake you and then "swoop" across your lane, frequently cutting you up, and exiting at the last second before they miss the junction.

Also in heavy traffic and roadworks those who weave between lanes over and undertaking.

Also frequently seem to be executive type cars with a 3 or 4 letter brand name.

Rant over
Plenum spyhole mod. Powerflow backbox. 11 spoke alloys repainted Black Sparkle. Black Expansion tank. Drivers side cup holder. PPD carpeted heater box sides. Illuminated sun visors, PPD Door reflectors. PPD Seatbelt lower mount bolt covers. PPD Drivers grab handle. Cubby rechargeable torch and power socket. FBH retro-fitted. FBH engine pre-heater mod done. Electric rear Sunblind. Tow bar. Flip key. MGR towing mirrors and Saloon roof bars.

Hand Built in Birmingham

Last edited by Mogodon; 19th December 2018 at 22:34..
Mogodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2018, 22:51   #2
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogodon View Post
Done a lot of motorway and dual carridgway miles this week ( M1, M25, M4 and A45 ).

SWMBO says I'm starting to suffer from GOMS (grumpy old man syndrome) as I expressed my irritation (frequently according to her) of drivers at junctions, who just before the exit slip road who are in the outside lanes, intead of dropping in behind you and exiting, decide to put their foot down, overtake you and then "swoop" across your lane, frequently cutting you up, and exiting at the last second before they miss the junction.

Also in heavy traffic and roadworks those who weave between lanes over and undertaking.

Rant over
Well I had a run down the M5 to-Day to Newton Abbot 372 mile return trip and I have to agree with all of what you say as well as Middle lane hoggers.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2018, 22:52   #3
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogodon View Post

Rant over
But remember that they own the road ...................
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2018, 22:52   #4
dln6376
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

I do a lot of motorway driving every day and what you describe is becoming a common sight. It’s certainly as big a problem as middle lane hoggers.

Another increasingly common annoyance of mine are those drivers joining onto a motorway who expect those in lane one to immediately move to lane two when sometimes it’s simply not possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2002, Rover 75, Connoisseur SE, 2.0 CDT, Automatic, White Gold

2002, MG ZT, Sports Auto 180+, 2.5 V6, Automatic, Le Mans Green

2002, Rover 75, Connoisseur SE, 2.0 V6 Automatic, British Racing Green

2003, Rover 75, Connoisseur SE, 2.0 CDT, Manual, Starlight Silver
dln6376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2018, 23:14   #5
Mr Bone
Gets stuck in

75 Cdt. VW Touareg V6 Tdi. Galaxy 1.9Tdi (x2). R1200GS

There's a similarity between watching people playing 5 a side and witnessing van drivers on the M62, except the ball is substituted with any gap between vehicle's and I've never seen anyone playing 5 a side while staring at a phone.
The middle lane people I can sort of understand, too many times when about to pull out to overtake someone will put their foot down to block you. It happens too many times to not be deliberate.
Old 19th December 2018, 23:28   #6
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Sometimes, it's almost as if, by overtaking a line of trucks at a nearly legal speed, you are deliberately trying to frustrate their ambition to drive their whole journey in the middle lane at 85. I've had them sit on my tail, flash their lights and do that for nearly a mile, before there is reasonable space between trucks for me to pull in without too much risk that I will get stuck there. Then they fly past on full, power, sometimes giving you the fingers or a honk. The fact that there is a 3rd lane with much less traffic, does not appear to register with them. One such driver went past me, then slowed down next to the truck in front of me, so I couldn't over take it. When I moved into lane 3 to overtake him, he baulked me in lane 3. I am not a middle lane hogger, and try to be considerate of those who want to drive faster than me, but neither do I allow myself to be bullied into situations that force me to brake, swerve or otherwise have to take avoiding actions. I do the same 30 mile M6 commute daily, you get to know the good guys and the bad ones.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2018, 23:36   #7
CivilSteve
Avid contributor

MG ZT

The Middle lane stuff winds me up a treat. All to often there's backed up traffic because folks can't understand the concept of overtaking lane and just decide to sit in it at 60 causing someone else to overtake at 65 resulting in 3 lanes being limited.

I often go undertaking on the inside lane as it's faster than the outside ones. mostly just to prove a point.
CivilSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2018, 23:46   #8
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilSteve View Post
The Middle lane stuff winds me up a treat. All to often there's backed up traffic because folks can't understand the concept of overtaking lane and just decide to sit in it at 60 causing someone else to overtake at 65 resulting in 3 lanes being limited.

I often go undertaking on the inside lane as it's faster than the outside ones. mostly just to prove a point.
And what point would that be Steve?? that you can drive badly in your BMW perhaps

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2018, 00:06   #9
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

That's the nice thing about the M6 in Cumbria; unless there's roadworks, there's nearly always a 3rd lane you can overtake the middle lane hoggers in. When I see folk flying up behind me as I'm overtaking a truck, then indicating that they are going to undertake me before I can move back into the 1st lane, I put my indicator on, and move slowly, but surely to the left, as I always intended. They probably think I'm Mr Magoo in a Rover, so they have to slow down and go the right side of me!
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2018, 00:07   #10
neilbaker86
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
And what point would that be Steve?? that you can drive badly in your BMW perhaps

Brian

The point that lane one is empty and they should be in it. If there is room for you to undertake there was room for them to pull over. Stop making excuses for pillocks who don't pull back to lane one after passing the vehicle in front.
neilbaker86 is offline   Reply With Quote