Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd January 2007, 00:27   #1
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Default riding a Honda 70

Hi everyone I have been offered a Honda 70, I know nowt about bikes and haven't ridden one since I was 16/17. Can I ride this on my car licence? I did a CBT ages ago but I assume that that has lapsed. I have a full car licesnce and according to my licence, I passed my test in 2000. Aside, what is it likely to cost to insure? I'm 23. I think its an x reg. Anyone know what goes wrong with them?
Old 2nd January 2007, 06:27   #2
Rich
Posted a thing or two

http://Roadca.ms - Letting you see what they see!

You'll need to take the CBT Phil, once done you can then ride that bike with L plates for up to two years.

No idea on the insurance front I'm afraid but check out www.bennetts.co.uk
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2007, 12:37   #3
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Hi, thanks. I read that if I passed my driving test for the car before 2001 I should be able to ride a moped. This is all extremely confusing. I also thought if I took CBT it would last the length of my car licence?
Old 2nd January 2007, 13:48   #4
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Aren't mopeds only up to 50cc? Or has that rule changed as well?

The stupid thing is that because I passed my bike test in 1963 (when the examiner had to keep running all over the place to keep seeing you during the test) there is no restriction on the size or power of the bikes I'm allowed to drive/ride, even if, as I did, I had a 25 year break from biking. I took the test on a Lambretta, and within days I had bought a Norton!

This is one reason I built the 3 wheeler, as when I did get back on a bike, I wasn't as confident as I had been previously. Still love bikes, though. (Yes, I know, a trike is a bike with stabilisers, but mine has two wheels at the front)

Malcolm
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2007, 15:37   #5
Rich
Posted a thing or two

http://Roadca.ms - Letting you see what they see!

From the DVLA web site:

Quote:
Mopeds
A moped is a motorcycle that has the following features:

* maximum design speed not exceeding 50 km per hour (km/h) (about 31 miles per hour (mph)
* an engine capacity no greater than 50 cc
* it can be moved by pedals, if the moped was first used before 1 September, 1977
You can only hold a provisional moped licence if you are at least 16 years old. It entitles you to ride a moped on the road as a learner with L-plates (D-plates in Wales) but you must not carry a pillion passenger or go on a motorway.

Your provisional licence is only valid when you have the DL 196 certificate issued on completion of compulsory basic training (CBT) by an approved training body (ATB). A CBT certificate obtained on a moped is also valid for motorcycles once the rider has reached the age of 17 years and has the necessary licence.

If you have a full car licence, you are automatically entitled to ride a moped without L-plates (D-plates in Wales) if you obtained your full car licence before 1 February, 2001. If you obtained a full car licence after 1 February, 2001 you must first complete a CBT course and obtain a DL 196 certificate to validate your entitlement.

Motorcycles
There are two types of full motorcycle licence to aim for:

* a light motorcycle licence (A1). The A1 licence restricts riders to any motorcycle up to 125 cc and a power output of 11 kW (14.6 brake horse power (bhp). The practical test must be taken on a motorcycle of between 75 cc and 125 cc
* a standard motorcycle licence (A). The A licence is obtained if the practical test is taken on a motorcycle of over 120 cc but not more than 125 cc and capable of at least 100 km/h (62 miles per hour (mph)

After passing the standard motorcycle practical test you will be restricted for two years to riding a motorcycle of up to 25 kW (33 bhp) and a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.16 kW/kg. After the two year restriction period you can ride a motorcycle of any size.

Direct access scheme (DAS)
Direct access is a scheme which allows a person over the age of 21 to avoid the two year/25 kW restriction by taking a test on a machine of at least 35 kW (46.6 bhp). A pass allows you to ride any size of bike. Any instruction given on a machine that exceeds the normal learner motorcycle specification must be supervised at all times by a certified motorcycle instructor who should be in radio contact. You should also wear fluorescent or reflective clothing and follow all other provisional licence restrictions.

Accelerated access
Riders who reach the age of 21, while still within the two year period where they are restricted to maximum 25 kW (33 bhp) machines, but who wish to ride larger bikes need to pass a further test on a motorcycle of at least 35 kW (46.6 bhp). They may practise on bikes over 25 kW (33 bhp) under the same practice conditions for direct access riders. You will revert to learner status while practising (on a motorcycle greater than 25 kW (33 bhp)) although test failure will not affect your existing licence.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2007, 20:49   #6
Ken
Busy doing nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxlin View Post
I took the test on a Lambretta, and within days I had bought a Norton!

Malcolm
Cafe racer?

Did you use a skid lid or were you the same as me 'wind in your Brycreem?'

Ken
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 09:31   #7
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post

Did you use a skid lid or were you the same as me 'wind in your Brycreem?'

Ken
No, always wore a helmet from outset, possibly because I was given one for my 16th birthday! It would now be called "open face" but then it was "spaceman style", with "Tweety Pie" motif painted on the back!!

Worn with ice blue jeans, and ex MoD leather flying boots (with the obligatory white socks folded over the top). Couldn't afford a leather jacket at first, so it was what was known as a "combat" jacket to complete the ensemble....

Trouble was the Norton was so underpowered, it was a 1958 Model 50, a 350cc single in the 500 ES2 frame.

Those were the days
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote