Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th February 2022, 18:59   #1
BKDaniels

Rover 75

Default rover 75 connoisseur non starter deisel auto

got a rover 75 in october 2021. drove it for 3 miles . and the engine just stopped. the fitter put in camshaft sensor and a cranck sensor. done the
[immobliser how ever still wont start. so we have sent the ecu off to be checked. so just needed some one to suggest anything.Its a deisel automatic
BKDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2022, 19:11   #2
Armymick

75 cdti saloon

Default Fuel"

Does it turn over
Does it have EP on the gear indicator on the dash and the red light beneath the gear stick no longer illuminated
If it does then mine was the fuse under the bonnet
After a mechanic said it was ecu,ecm,fuel pump,fip, blah blah 235 mile recovery
It was a fuse
No really
Armymick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2022, 15:40   #3
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

When you tried to turn her over did the oil warning light illuminate - if not the ECU has probably taken a bath - the diesel ECU's are unsealed and prone to water ingress - was there a tide mark in the plenum chamber (where the ECU is fixed).

For future reference i would use the services of Big Russ a trader on here who lives off the M62 at Liversedge - he is a wizard on ECU's/keys/immobilisers and has a big stock of diesel ECU's as well as a T4 operator (MG Rover diagnostic system) - he is also better value than the ECU repair outfits.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2022, 15:56   #4
Yorkshire GOC

Once you are sorted i would get the Plenum spyhole Modification to avoid the ECU getting a bath - search the site for the how to - see below a useful link.

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=125864

If the ECU is OK -on a diesel i would also consider failing fuel injectors - so try a leak back test - if an injector is faulty there are traders on here will provide refurbed ones at lesser cost than a main supplier.

Other thing to consider is some diesels have an under bonnet 2 nd fuel pump - these can fail leading to non starts and stalls - a good tap with a screw driver and if she starts up thats your problem -also tends to strike if your tank is low on fuel.

Also worth a shout - could your inertia fuel collision switch have been triggered - i would have though that would throw a warning light - if it has tripped it will stop any fuelling to the car (to prevent a fire in case of an accident) - I think on the diesel its under the centre console.

So a few possibles - but if you can get a T4 on her that best - I think the old MG Rover dealer at Sproatley (Maples) still have the MGR T4 diagnostic - but not sure if the technicians are up to speed on it like Big Russ.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Old 27th February 2022, 16:54   #5
Yorkshire GOC

One other thing - more common on the 1.8 's is a corroded spade connector from the starter motor to the battery - pull it out - if it looks corroded clean up with white spirit/remove corrosion - its a known cause of non starts. If it is this a good clean and she should start OK.