Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th June 2020, 09:42   #1
Animesis
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon 2.0l Diesel Connoisseur

Default Rumbling from NS, new bearing and driveshaft fitted

Long time no see friends,
I did some work on the old girl recently, changed the front hubs and wheel bearings to brand new stuff from good old DMGRS (hence I'm pretty sure its not the wheel bearing)

On the first journey out after the work on the motorway a rumbling very similar to a wheel bearing appeared, I jacked the car up on the offending side, tyre off and had a listen with it spinning, definitely something on the passenger side between wheel and engine, couldnt pin point it anymore than that.

To imagine the sound, imagine rolling a brake disc along a concrete driveway (I've tested with the calliper off and the noise is still there)

As it has a new wheel bearing I've assumed it was the driveshaft and just replaced that this morning but the noise is still there.

To me its either the gearbox or a brand new wheel bearing is failing already?!

Any tips would be hugely appreciated
kindest regards and TIA
Gearbox change, clutch, subframe refurbish, handbrake mod, drumbrake repair, rear coils, plate PCB repair, sunroof drains refitted, trim leak fix, cruise control fix, cleared EGR/inlet, new strut bearings, USB sockets in rear ashtray, new front brake pipes/hoses, repaired undertray, new o/s rear upper arm, refurbished rear suspension&subframe, fixed back light leak, new exhaust, fitted HID xenons, FBH fix, new thermostat, armrest LEDs, wood dash, new hydromount, natnav, tyres, numberplates
Animesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2020, 10:50   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Incorrect fitting technique?, poor quality parts?, to be fair it could be either or indeed none of these things, but it is important to not discount items which have been recently replaced as not defective

Start by removing the driveshaft from the hub, backing off the caliper, then spinning the wheel, this should at least exclude the gearbox as a possibility

Best of luck

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2020, 14:30   #3
Animesis
Loves to post

I shall have to pull it all apart again and try something!¬ unfortunately its the kind of noise you dont hear until about 20mph and up so spinning the wheel by hand is a tricky test
Gearbox change, clutch, subframe refurbish, handbrake mod, drumbrake repair, rear coils, plate PCB repair, sunroof drains refitted, trim leak fix, cruise control fix, cleared EGR/inlet, new strut bearings, USB sockets in rear ashtray, new front brake pipes/hoses, repaired undertray, new o/s rear upper arm, refurbished rear suspension&subframe, fixed back light leak, new exhaust, fitted HID xenons, FBH fix, new thermostat, armrest LEDs, wood dash, new hydromount, natnav, tyres, numberplates
Old 6th June 2020, 08:36   #4
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

have you looked at the intermediate drive support bearing ?

mine was like a dogs thngy in a bucket ..

C
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2020, 20:13   #5
Animesis
Loves to post

dont say that! I swapped the gearbox out a while back and have no wish to repeat! haha
Ill have another look and keep my fingers crossed its ok, going to try a cheap wheel bearing i think and see the results, it does seem a remarkable coincidence it was after the bearings were replaced
Old 16th July 2021, 19:57   #6
colemerian

MG ZT-T

Default Rumbling noise after reaching 25mph

Did you have any luck identifying the source of the rumbling? I have the same problem, new SKF bearing fitted front n/s rumbling started which was n't there before. Grateful for any clues.
colemerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2021, 21:58   #7
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemerian View Post
Did you have any luck identifying the source of the rumbling? I have the same problem, new SKF bearing fitted front n/s rumbling started which was n't there before. Grateful for any clues.
The OP has not been on the forum for a couple of months.--

You could possibly E-Mail him.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote