Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st November 2019, 22:00   #11
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

So EV are the future, how about 28 years ago, how did the future look then?

So how will we reflect upon the wold when my children are my age I wonder?

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2019, 23:06   #12
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Lol Brilliant clip

I see a young fresh robotic Jeremy Clarkson sporting a very posh BBC voice, all that BS spillage seems to have roughened his vocal cords a wee bet during these past 28 years.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2019, 00:20   #13
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
MG John said:"Meantime, I will continue to enjoy my Petrol Turbo MGs and Rovers until such time as they send the big strong geezers in white coats after me...". Except it will be the be the big strong geezers in the dark blue uniforms and stab vests! For my part, I am looking forward to the day I can afford an EV that will get me from A to B without the inconvenience that the current technology and infrastructure apparently provide. I think you would have to recognise that whatever its causes, climate change is real, and at a rate that humanity is struggling to adapt to. While I am old enough to take the complacent attitude that it probably won't affect me that badly, the sooner we stop adding to the planet's atmospheric energy, the more chance we have of having the time to adapt to the ever more extreme weather events that will reduce our advanced technological world to submerged rubble, and leave our children spend their lives trying to cope with results of our generation consumption-driven and self-indulgent indulgent lives. No wonder a highly intelligent 16 year old is leading her non- compliant rebels to take actions that will hopefully shake the complacency of so many of us older folk. Are we going to carry on dancing on the deck of the Titanic because somebody said it was unsinkable? There may actually still be time to plug the leak, or close the bulkhead doors.
I have never heard so much #@*% spouted in all my life about E.v. Propulsion. Anyone who knows anything about electricity, knows that it has to be firstly generated, and then distributed, and /or stored. In the case of cars that run On electricity, they need batteries. The batteries need to be ‘filled up’ with electric. One question:- where is all this electric coming from? We are already on a knife edge when the winter comes because of household consumption. We have already had requests during winter to companies to cut their consumption. The whole #*%@ surrounding electric vehicles is tantamount to fear mongering against anything that for the time being is going to be used by the majority of people, THE PETROL/DIESEL car. The batteries:- made of lithium. Where does it come from? Mostly from African countries, where the population is used on slave wages to mine it. It is relatively rare and hard to mine. How often do the batteries need to be changed? Where do they then go to be ‘taken apart’? The actual pollution from EV’s is more dangerous than what we have now. Don’t believe me? Look it up on the net, freely available to anyone who really cares about the environment. The young woman Thunberg is being used by people who support this iniquitous industry. Look it up again.
Old 2nd November 2019, 00:42   #14
Coups
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/10/20...in-his-garage/

Has anyone read about this? Maybe batteries as we know it are already on their way out? I'm no expert but if this is genuine there would be no need for chargers or batteries as we know them at all. I've checked and it's not April 1st.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Coups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2019, 08:11   #15
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

my wife worked with a chap that had 7 children, note the word worked. not all are on the scrounge

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2019, 10:19   #16
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Andrew, could you please turn out the lights if you are the last one out

Greta Thunberg if she wasn't a singularly minded would see there is little to be gained in mining huge amounts of scarce minerals to create EV batteries, batteries that are hugely expensive to recycle.

Quite contrary to being "robbed of her childhood" as claimed, it should be noted that people who live with ASD often focus on a particular subject, often without seeing the larger picture.

Apart from anything else, there isn't the infrastructure in place to charge these EV, another little snippet the roll out "smart meters", these are very important to allow the national grid to be relieved at peak times by virtue of enforced remotely controlled brownouts.

If there is to be a roll out of EV it should be driven by market forces, and not blinkered politicos with vested interests.

Brian
As an aside, just noticed the lovely little darling of the tree huggers, is now going to throw herself on the money go round of ‘pushers for climate change’, to get to the climate change meeting in Spain, because she is ‘in the wrong place’. Most intelligent people already know that.
Old 2nd November 2019, 11:06   #17
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Ev's will be part of the solution but as the government has put the ball into local authorities courts to implement ULEZ / CAZ/ workplace parking levies to reduce pollution they're want more people to use public transport.
They've stated in a de-carbonising transport paper that they do not want to replace 40 million ICE vehicles with 40 million BEV's https://publications.parliament.uk/p...dTextAnchor075

When they say electrifying transport they mean Buses & trains.

The environmental lawyers that make up Clientearth have sued the UK government three times successfully lately and are ready to take them to court again if they don't keep up with the Paris accord commitments.

Greater Manchester for example are at present reviewing all public transport and taking into account all the infrastructure the private car uses (car parks etc) compared to public transport and are going to have seamless transport & ticketing between rail,bus,&tram.
https://airqualitynews.com/2019/08/2...rgets-mps-say/
Stating if you want to come into the city it will either have to be by Train,Bus,Tram Bicycle or walking.

They've said within the next ten years they want a 50% reduction in private car journeys and the twice daily commuter private car use reduced by 90% into the cities CAZ's

The other things local authorities are doing to reduce car usage I read yesterday are that Edinburgh are looking to extend the operation of bus lanes for 12 hours/day 7 days a week.
Bus lanes in the city are currently closed to general traffic during peak hours (7.30am to 9.30am and 4pm to 6.30pm, Monday to Friday.

Looks like a lot of park & ride places will need to be made to finish off your journeys into towns Cities.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto

Last edited by Lancpudn; 2nd November 2019 at 11:10..
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2019, 11:30   #18
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

I have no problem with using public transport for local journeys, being on the outskirts of London the services are many and regular.

What I do have a problem with is the extortionate prices of some journeys, example used an Aviva bus to go about 5 miles - cost was £4. As I was travelling with a friend we could have got a taxi for less .
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2019, 12:05   #19
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

@MGJohn.

Most of the new BEV's from 2021 will have to have all manner of mandatory communicating hardware/software installed, VW are just putting the new V2X (vehicle to everything) chip in their new cars.

This will be in street furniture,traffic lights,intersections,roadsigns,speed cameras, it will be able to switch on traction control on wet roads automatically, warn you of red light traffic light jumpers, it can send out a message that is received by other vehicles in an 800 m radius to provide alerts to the driver before they arrive on the scene. Similarly, cars can receive hazard warnings such a car ahead braking suddenly, or motorcycles approaching from the opposite direction that let the driver know not to pass.

I should imagine they will only let said equipped cars on certain stretches of congested roads in the not too distant future
Want to go faster than the speed limit of a certain road! .........computer says no.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2019, 12:59   #20
ziggy72
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar S-Type R Audi A5 Sportback

All this modern technology ie ADAS that is supposed to warn and help assist safety by warning drivers of traffic approaching and coming up alongside by having radars in the front bumpers and sensors in the mirrors etc makes drivers think their cars are safer.
Working as a QC in a bodyshop I can say that it doesn't seem to be bringing the number of accidents down as they're still rolling in for repair at the same rate even with the new technology installed.
Driver error from either driver is nearly always the cause and the day we have to rely solely on computers controlled by satellites and sensors located in traffic lights and lamp posts as suggested in an earlier post to have complete control over our driving will lead to lawsuits against manufacturers when things go wrong. And they will go wrong .