Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th December 2019, 15:27   #1
Westonboy
Posted a thing or two

Honda Jazz

Default What became of the people we used to be

I am not moved to write this thread out of pity, and have no wish to depress anyone, just a comment on life. This week I attended the annual reuinion of my colleagues from the now closed HMP Gloucester. I served at this establishment from the late70's until 2002, and loved every moment, even given some truly dreadful experiences. I was privileged to be part of a staff that were absolutely dedicated, and we enjoyed the rewards of a well run Prison where the inmates knew who were in charge, and behaved accordingly. Over recent years the numbers at our reunion have dwindled, and a lot of the conversation is about medication, and disabilities, one attendee even being terminally ill. It only seems like yesterday that we were all so vigorous, I imagine that lots of ex members of the forces would recognise the experience. Tempus fugit.

Westonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2019, 15:58   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

I like your thread title Alan, very appropriate. It's a line from the title song to 'Whatever happened to the Likely Lads?' isn't it. The verse ends with:
Is the only thing to look forward to, the past?

Simon
Old 8th December 2019, 16:42   #3
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

I recently met up with an old school friend who I have not seen for many years. We both left school nearly 40 years ago and he has kept in touch with a lot of our old school friends and even some of the teachers.

He ran through a list of the ones he knew about and it shocked me how many were no longer with us because of the big C and various accidents and events. One was even lost in the 9,11 attack as he worked there.

I am sure some of us think how bad our lives are for various reasons but its not until you look at how many of us are left from the ones we grew up with do you realise how fortunate we actually are.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2019, 18:26   #4
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
I like your thread title Alan, very appropriate. It's a line from the title song to 'Whatever happened to the Likely Lads?' isn't it. The verse ends with:
Is the only thing to look forward to, the past?

Simon
Being from the same area,” Oh what happened to,you, whatever happened to me! And what became of the people,we used to be? Tomorrow’s almost over, today went by so fast, it’s the only thing to look forward to, the past.”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8HidCbV-mrc
Old 8th December 2019, 23:12   #5
oswestryalex
Loves to post

Rover 75 1.8T connoisseur saloon 2003 in blue , MG ZT 190+ 2003

I do wonder how many people currently working will have a long term stable job with the same employer, as was common years back? Also, what to look forward to as far as retirement goes? But I'd agree that we can think of ourselves as fortunate - so many have gone prematurely from disease or accidents of one sort or another. Maybe the motto ought to be: the spirit stays young if you own and run a Rover 75 or MG ZT??
oswestryalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2019, 23:16   #6
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oswestryalex View Post
I do wonder how many people currently working will have a long term stable job with the same employer, as was common years back? Also, what to look forward to as far as retirement goes? But I'd agree that we can think of ourselves as fortunate - so many have gone prematurely from disease or accidents of one sort or another. Maybe the motto ought to be: the spirit stays young if you own and run a Rover 75 or MG ZT??
Aye cos you have to keep fixing them lol.
Old 9th December 2019, 00:11   #7
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

We are all just passing through, time stands still for no one. However much it seems to drag when we are young it makes up for it by accelerating as we grow old.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2019, 19:54   #8
Discofan
Loves to post

(Land)Rover Freelander 2

Heard s quote from Rod Stewart, "life is like a toilet roll, the closer to the end you get the quicker it goes"
Discofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2019, 00:09   #9
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

My motto is "you only get out of life what you put in", and it is so true. Also, live and enjoy the moment - we never know what is round the corner.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2019, 18:43   #10
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

My last job with other people, rather than self-employed with only myself and my students for company, finished when I retired from it 26 years ago. It was very people based and highly competitive but close relationships built up. I never saw any of them afterwards so lost track.

However I still get the quarterly company round-up of news and in the back are the obituaries. The entries now contain increasing numbers of names that I knew and admired as colleagues. I remember thinking the one that I won’t read is the one I’ll be in. I’d like to think I haven’t changed much other than mellowing a bit but others might say differently.