Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th February 2012, 20:43   #1
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Default 4 Doors, 6 hours, 1 Dissy and a result

Well, as some of you may know, my car - whilst lovely - does have some bodywork "imperfections". Mainly, the Passenger Side doors have been the target for low flying trollies, attacking car doors, and generally a magnet for impacts.

I have struggled to find replacements in the cars colour - Pewter Grey (LAL) - any that I did find, were usually worse than mine, or priced sky high. However, the eagle eyes of Dissy spotted a breaker with an X Reg 2.0 V6 breaking for parts - in the very colour I needed. A quick phone call and the breaker confirmed that all the doors were good, so a visit today to check and they were as good as he said.

Now - I did go with the intention of just getting the two doors and maybe a wing, but, as the wing was badly dented my eyes wandered over to the drivers side doors....hmmm....should I? shouldn't I?

I did.

My drivers door wasn't perfect, peeling laquer and a couple of stone chips so the deal was done and all four were mine. Except I now had four doors and space in the car for two. Time to get fitting!!!

We got the four new doors fitted on site, which immediatley improved the look of the car and put a big grin on my face - my dinted doors were gone!!. Room in the boot for only the two back doors meant we had to strip the two front doors of all parts - no meant feat in itself. Once again, Dissy showed his knowledge and expertise and did the complicated bits while I mainly held things and complained my back was going but we got there in the end.

All the spares were loaded and we moved to Dissy Garage to swap the drivers door lock over. I know others can fit and swap these door bits with nothing removed, but in order to see what we were doing, the door was stripped down to a shell - overall it was quicker and easier. Again Dissy concentrated on that while I swapped a few door cards over and replaced various bits and bobs. Darkness creeping in meant the last door couldn't finsihed so I loaded up and dissapeared, thanking Dissy for all his hard work - saved me a good few headaches and meant the transformation was 75% complete!!

A back seat full of glass, door cards, motors, trim and everything else, and a boot with two doors in means I now have a dining room that looks like this:

I need to strip the back doors down and finish the last door but apart from that - not too much left to do!

Bit of a long post this, but then it's been a long day.....

Finally, one of the main reasons I got all four doors was the price - £25 each complete. Chuffed is not the word.

The car I took the doors from is an X Reg, 2.0 litre V6. All of the engine is intact apart from the battery. The alloy are Contour and not that bad, but need attention. The interior is a retrofitted Neptune Personal line with Memory Electric Seats, and embossed Headrests. The handbrake gaiter is blue, but the armrest and gearstick gaiter are the standard black / grey vinyl. The door cards at the back had been cut to fit manual windows, only one door card is there, I have the other's. If you want any parts, I think the prices will be very reasonable - the ad is on Gumtree. The car is located in a unit in Longbenton - I think it is Gosforth Auto Dismantlers (sure Brian or Steve will correct me if I am wrong) which is on Bellway Industrial Estate, NE12.

Hopefully somebody else can also benefit from some cheap spares.

Last edited by ZedTeeTee; 17th February 2012 at 22:40.. Reason: typo - which is unusual for em
ZedTeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 21:00   #2
2Diesels
Trader

ZT 260SE, Connoisseur CDT

Aaaahhhhh I had heard Jack Duckworth had started back up again, I've really missed "Gossy Metals" since he sold the yard in Wideopen for housing
2Diesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 21:03   #3
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Diesels View Post
Aaaahhhhh I had heard Jack Duckworth had started back up again, I've really missed "Gossy Metals" since he sold the yard in Wideopen for housing
Pretty much what Brian said when I talked to him about who it was...seem's to be a well known character?
Old 17th February 2012, 21:06   #4
2Diesels
Trader

Aye one of my all time favourite yards, dragged many an old motor out of there over the years as a result of impulse buying

Is he in the old Arla Foods place just beyond Bell Trucks?
Old 17th February 2012, 21:10   #5
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Aye one of my all time favourite yards, dragged many an old motor out of there over the years as a result of impulse buying

Is he in the old Arla Foods place just beyond Bell Trucks?
Not sure - don't know the area that well...does this help?

Old 17th February 2012, 21:13   #6
2Diesels
Trader

It does ta, Arla was in the big place just in front of that
Old 17th February 2012, 21:14   #7
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Oh, and this means I can finally fit my Crofts Finishers that I have been storing for what seems like ages now....
Old 17th February 2012, 21:15   #8
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
It does ta, Arla was in the big place just in front of that
From what I could tell, and from what he said when I spoke to him, he was getting set up. A few cars already in there with room for a lot more.

They were busy painting floors etc when we went. Only one Rover at the moment tho - and it has no doors now....
Old 17th February 2012, 21:18   #9
2Diesels
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mofo View Post
From what I could tell, and from what he said when I spoke to him, he was getting set up. A few cars already in there with room for a lot more.

They were busy painting floors etc when we went. Only one Rover at the moment tho - and it has no doors now....
I shall be visiting there very shortly............very shortly indeed
Old 17th February 2012, 21:20   #10
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
I shall be visiting there very shortly............very shortly indeed
You better give Brian a shout - he's wanting to go too - had Dissy not been so kind and offered to help today, he would have went with me tomorrow.

He might be a bit miffed with me - so I need to sweeten him back up.