Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th January 2012, 06:06   #21
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashiel View Post
Hang on - you just said above 'hold the cams in this position' - isn't that what one of the timing tools is for? you have just proved the point that tools are useful for that part of the procedure ... You are arguing with yourself.
I thought a lot of the purpose of the tool is because PowerTrain recommended to change the sprocket bolts during the belt change procedure. To do this they provided the tools to allow mechanics to do this in a replicable way.
Your position is essentially that the bolts do not need to be changed.
But people should be aware that the manufacturer of the engine said they should.
Owners of the cars now should make their own minds up whether to follow the manufacturers guidelines.
The reference was made to the hapless souls who think that their timing is not right. And if you find it isn't, then even in that case, you don't need the tools. In other words, you don't need the tools, whatever the scenario.
But, if you insist to take out the oil seals, buying, renting borrowing or stealing a tool, fitting it, tightening the bolt, removing it again, inserting a new oil seal, and risking future oil and monetary loss, go ahead, make your day. I prefer to get a friend to help hold the sprocket while tightening, leaving everything else intact. The main thing in all cases is to make sure you don't load the camshaft with the torque of tightening the bolt.
Obviously the sprockets should be left in peace, unless you have a very good reason to take them off. Taking them off just to replace the bolts would be one of the lesser sensible things I could ever imagine, even using my imagination to it's fullest extent.
As to whether or not you want to use a new bolt, I will leave to you. Suffice it to say that the torque recommendations for the v6 specifies angle torquing, and new bolts, the procedures for the 1.8 specifies 65Nm and does not say anything about new bolts.
I would (and I do) torque, use a dab of Loctite and re-use to my hearts delight.
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 06:23   #22
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

And just to confound all the skeptics, here is a little gem from a retired head of Powertrain.
He has the experience, he is no longer employed, and he can speak his hearts contents without fear or favour.

http://www.boltscience.com/pages/glo...ingarticle.htm

On short fat bolts these considerations are not even that relevant, on longer slender bolts, like used in the 1.8 head, they are.

Enjoy.
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 19:19   #23
3pinplug
Loves to post

Rover 75 SE

Hi all
The link to gadgetboys "How to" seems to be unviewable for me, anyone got a copy they could e-mail me?
Thanks
Mark
3pinplug is offline   Reply With Quote