Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th August 2017, 21:25   #1
chrishumphries
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 connoisseur CDTI TOUR & ZTT+ CDTi Tourer - both in rare starlight silver

Default CDTi Stuck in 3rd gear

Hi all, i am the son of Chris after years I have finally caved in to my father and got myself a 54 plate CDTI .
All has been well for the first week occasionally had troubles getting into 3rd gear but I put it that was I not used to a heavy clutch.
Today I went to change into 4th from 3rd and found I was stuck in gear. The clutch works fine just it is completely stuck in 3rd gear. Hopefully it was just the clutch smoking from having to pull off in 3rd to get me a mile home.
Has anyone experienced this?
any advice would be amazing.
Thank you
James
chrishumphries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2017, 00:09   #2
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishumphries View Post
Hi all, i am the son of Chris after years I have finally caved in to my father and got myself a 54 plate CDTI .

All has been well for the first week occasionally had troubles getting into 3rd gear but I put it that was I not used to a heavy clutch.

Today I went to change into 4th from 3rd and found I was stuck in gear. The clutch works fine just it is completely stuck in 3rd gear. Hopefully it was just the clutch smoking from having to pull off in 3rd to get me a mile home.

Has anyone experienced this?

any advice would be amazing.

Thank you

James

I have met this a couple of times on both petrol and diesel 75s and don't have an answer. On both occasions I have taken the gearbox out, stripped it down, miked everything, and found everything to be within tolerance and at the correct torque. Resulting in the box being rebuilt and put back into the car, when then used the gearbox worked as it should have. I am sorry I have no magic fix for you James. Perhaps others have found a fault that required a part change sadly I have not.
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2017, 07:04   #3
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

My CDTi gearbox is currently at AllGears in Worksop for a rebuild after having an issue with stickiness going into third gear, and occasional jumping out of third gear. A problem with the selector forks or détente springs is the suspected cause, but I'll try to report back what Neil at AllGears finds when he has rebuilt the box

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2017, 13:45   #4
chrishumphries
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 connoisseur CDTI TOUR & ZTT+ CDTi Tourer - both in rare starlight silver

Today in the light I have taken a look under the bonnet. Whipped the battery box off and straight away noticed the gear selector cable is no longer attached. The rubbers on both are basically non existent. Looks like I will be finding a new cable! Thankfully not a dead box!
Thank you for the advice.
Is this a common problem?
Old 16th August 2017, 13:58   #5
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

Quote:
Today in the light I have taken a look under the bonnet. Whipped the battery box off and straight away noticed the gear selector cable is no longer attached. The rubbers on both are basically non existent. Looks like I will be finding a new cable! Thankfully not a dead box!
Worn bushes is not uncommon, but yes it happens... least its a simple fix.... new bushes and voila.
TomRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2017, 14:02   #6
FrenchMike
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Have a close look, could have been caused by some corrosive liquid
FrenchMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2017, 14:47   #7
chrishumphries
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRS View Post
Worn bushes is not uncommon, but yes it happens... least its a simple fix.... new bushes and voila.
So I can just replace the bushes and not have to replace the cables? Any idea where the bushes would be available from?

I have checked around the area looks dry... also noticed a split in the intercooler hose
Old 17th August 2017, 08:58   #8
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Quote:
So I can just replace the bushes and not have to replace the cables? Any idea where the bushes would be available from?

I have checked around the area looks dry... also noticed a split in the intercooler hose
I am not sure where you would get the bushes from- they are not listed on Rimmers website. There are some repair clamps for failed selector cable bushes on e-bay, for some Vauxhall models, that might fit.

I am not sure how you get the bushes out of the end of the cables to replace them. I have a set of used cables in the shed (with good bushes) you can have if you want to have a go at swapping out the bushes, or to swap over the cables on your car (not too bad a job, if you can get the car up high on ramps to lower the exhaust and heat shield).

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2017, 12:15   #9
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

Quote:

Sorry i thought they were readily available to buy... no i dont know where you would get them from.
I'd make a new thread asking about the Bushes in the title some of the more seasoned repairer's might come forward with a solution.
TomRS is offline   Reply With Quote