Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd February 2013, 20:32   #11
yamahajrb
Avid contributor

rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
With temperature at this time of year you'll be lucky if the thermostat opens at all. In town with the heater on the diesel hardly ever reaches its correct working temperature. Mine struggles to get hot and there's nothing wrong with my thermostat.

The water does, of course, circulate with the stat closed.

PS. When you cleaned the heater rad you should have cleaned the whole system cos that's where the gunge came from in the first place. ( Sorry. )

Colvert.
Thanks Colvert, that at least put my mind at rest over the cold bottom hose, how can I drain the whole system down, I cant find the engine block drain plug & when I take the bottom hose off I only get about 3 litres out, (know it should be about 8lts), if I can drain & flush the whole system I'll take matrix out again & clean again, its no wonder its blocking up, the coolant I have got out is filthy, (original maybe), cheers, John
yamahajrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 21:10   #12
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default M47R engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahajrb View Post
... how can I drain the whole system down, I cant find the engine block drain plug ...
John,

Haynes describes it as on the front of the engine, above the turbo to exhaust downpipe flange. If that doesn't help, let me know and I'll send you a picture.

As Colvert says, coolant does circulate through the engine and heater matrix all the time, but it only flows through the radiator when the thermostat opens.

Simon
Old 23rd February 2013, 21:20   #13
yamahajrb
Avid contributor

rover 75 saloon

Default Flushing cooling system !!!

Just a thought, if I take the matrix out that will leave the two pipes coming in through the bulkhead, if I attach a hosepipe to one of these pipes & a draining pipe to the outside of the car to the other & leave the water running until clean water comes through will this flush out the cooling system?, I would of course clean the matrix again before installing. As you will have guessed by now I aint no mechanic but I dont mind having a go given a little advise from you guys, cheers, John
Old 23rd February 2013, 21:34   #14
SD1too

Quote:
... & leave the water running until clean water comes through will this flush out the cooling system?
Only if the thermostat is open, which it won't be!

Simon
Old 23rd February 2013, 21:42   #15
yamahajrb
Avid contributor

rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
John,

Haynes describes it as on the front of the engine, above the turbo to exhaust downpipe flange. If that doesn't help, let me know and I'll send you a picture.

As Colvert says, coolant does circulate through the engine and heater matrix all the time, but it only flows through the radiator when the thermostat opens.

Simon
Thanks SD1too, photo would appreciated m8, cheers, John
Old 24th February 2013, 09:40   #16
doru228
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur

Quote:
Thanks SD1too, photo would appreciated m8, cheers, John
I have the same problem, a bit warm air on passenger side, warm air on driver side. Any pictures to help me know what hoses to get down and clean ?
doru228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2013, 09:49   #17
Simon.h
This is my second home

Previously owned- MG ZT V6 160 Y plate Lpg, MG ZT 190 2003 In Rare Celestial Factory Ordered Lpg MG

Quote:
Just a thought, if I take the matrix out that will leave the two pipes coming in through the bulkhead, if I attach a hosepipe to one of these pipes & a draining pipe to the outside of the car to the other & leave the water running until clean water comes through will this flush out the cooling system?, I would of course clean the matrix again before installing. As you will have guessed by now I aint no mechanic but I dont mind having a go given a little advise from you guys, cheers, John
So you would connect hose pipe to one of the matrix pipes and the other to drain?
This would flush the engine and heater pipes but as SD1too said it would not do the rad and the hoses to the rad because the thermostat will be closed but you also disconnect the rad hoses from the engine and then flush rad out.
MG ZT 190 2004 lpg
Simon.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2013, 17:12   #18
yamahajrb
Avid contributor

rover 75 saloon

Default Cant get air out of system!

Cylinder block drain plug fairly inaccessable so decided to just keep draining what I could, running the car refilling & repeating proccess over & over until clean water came out, lots of muck but after about 10 drain & refils water was clean, a couple of times I had trouble getting the air out (heater blowing cold) but did manage to bleed air out & get heater blowing hot, so it was the last time to drain & fill before I put the antifreeze in, despite all my efforts over several hours I just cant get the heater to blow warm air now (I assume air in the system), I've even tried priming through the bleed screw (water coming through, replaced bleed screw but still only cold air from heater), the only thing I done different on the final drain out is blow through the radiator cap opening, after 2 days of trying I'm all but giving up, dont know what to do now, put blanket over the engine as I'm worried its going to freeze & knacker the engine all together, you guys have been so helpful with this but I'm still needing your help, cheers, John
Old 24th February 2013, 17:25   #19
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Your system might need vacuum filling. There is a thread on the forum somewhere on how to do it. T-Cut I think was the author.

Colvert.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2013, 22:54   #20
SD1too

Quote:
Cylinder block drain plug fairly inaccessable ...
You might need to buy the necessary tool to release it.

Simon