Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th December 2013, 08:43   #11
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
They aren't a particularly popular bulb fitting so the big names like Philips and Osram don't bother. They're an expensive design. Something like this would do.

Having said that, H9 halogen bulbs are easily found. In fact they're all halogen anyway, but some may have a whiff of xenon to brighten them up.
I recently fitted this type of main beam bulb but was very disappointed in the spread pattern of light compared to the OEM bulb.I've now put the originals back and are more than happy with them,they give perfectly adequate distant light in my opinion.

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 08:50   #12
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkbluediesel View Post
Hi everyone. I wonder if there's anyone out there who can help? I tried in Halfords yesterday to upgrade / improve the output of the main beams on my '05 Conn SE tourer. They seem alarmingly dim to me.

After much to-ing and fro-ing with different types, the young guy (who in fairness seemed to know what he was talking about) said that it had been factory-fitted with H9 bulbs, which are not what the guides suggest should be on it. Unfortunately, Halfords don't do them.

Any suggestions what I need to get a really powerful light, and where to find them? I even seem to be failing on ebay! Any advice or info would be gratefully received!

Nick.

As per my other post,I tried a set of 'brighter' H9's but ended up refitting my OEM bulbs.Could I suggest you try a new set of OEM bulbs and also get the headlamp alignment checked

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 08:51   #13
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

I have standard run of the mill H9 bulbs fitted in the high beam. The high beam seems to work well on these cars, unlike that of the dipped position where owners are always trying to improve this area.

The problem with these blue coated bulbs is they have a relatively short life span, and the blue hue left in the lens when not in use is undesirable.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 09:04   #14
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

The OEM H9 mains are quite adequate, I have not managed to outrun them yet
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 09:26   #15
Lotaskin
Avid contributor

MG ZTT CDTI

As Rich said steer clear of the blue ones I had exactly the same problem. The guy in Halfords was wrong they do sell them but at £26 each not to me.
I went into my local spares shop who got them in for me at £13 each.
Lotaskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 18:22   #16
Darkbluediesel

Rover 75 Conn SE

Thanks, everyone! I wanted to hear from people who really know what they're talking about! Much appreciated. I might try those Phillips oe ones on the ebay link. At the moment, I can't see beyond the end of the bonnet!

Cheers,
Nick.
Darkbluediesel is offline   Reply With Quote