Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st October 2022, 08:37   #1
Bob Williams
Loves to post

MG ZT-T+

Default What to do with the wreck?

I posted a few days ago that my 75 Contemporary SE Tourer CDTi was involved in a high speed crash on the M1. I am expecting to hear next week how much the insurers will offer me and also that there will be an option to have the wreck back at a cost.

My car was in excellent condition, although very high mileage, but had been kept by me, and with much help from Souls at Only, (for 17 years) as well as I could. For example, this year it had two brand new headlight units, last month two new tyres but also most doors, back bumper etc were unmarked. It also has five excellent star spoke alloys. It would therefore make sense for me to have the car back and sell the parts which I am sure would make more than the insurance company want for the wreck BUT I have nowhere to keep it.

I may therefore opt to take the higher payment and look for a replacement, hopefully like my old one, but it seems a waste to just scrap so many good parts. Another option may be to buy my brother's Rover 45 V6 Connoisseur which he has had from new. This would be much cheaper but does need a few things sorting on it.

I welcome any ideas or suggestions.

Bob
Bob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2022, 09:02   #2
luke83g
Regular poster

Rover 75

Sorry to hear about the crash.

If the insurance company will sell you the car back for a nominal sum, you should be able to make a few £££ selling the parts and helping other 75 owners keep their cars on the road which is a positive out of a bad situation.

I have owned a number of Rover 45s and liked them. The 45 v6 can be quite thirsty, especially compared to a 75 diesel, but I suppose it depends on the mileage you do what you want the car for.
luke83g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2022, 10:05   #3
Bob Williams
Loves to post

MG ZT-T+

Luke, thank you for your helpful reply. I would much prefer to get the car back and sell parts to members who need them but it is not possible as I have no place to put it.

I have worked out that my brother's 45 V6 would cost me an extra £500 a year in fuel but then it would be much cheaper to buy in the first place. The other problem is thaty it seems to be difficult to find a good 75 CDTi Tourer, which of course I would not know, whereas I have known my brother's car since new in 2001.
Old 21st October 2022, 12:08   #4
tonybel
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190 SE

stripping out parts from your old car will be wrench, listing and posing an inconvinience, and as you say you have nowhere to store. But on the otherhand with such a high milage you may be offered pennys and you may need the old car to recover some cash for the new project.

i would want to know the finantial breakdown:

how much will they pay out
how much is the buy-back

then you can make an informed desision.
Old 21st October 2022, 12:42   #5
Bob Williams
Loves to post

MG ZT-T+

Tonybel, you are absolutely right and I hope to get the figures some time early next week.
Old 21st October 2022, 12:51   #6
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

They may well come in with a low offer, which you might want to haggle about.

Do you have receipts for all your expenditure?

Spotted this tourer on ebay this morning. Relatively low mileage and seems to have had a lot spent on it recently.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234743448098
daveo138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2022, 13:00   #7
Bob Williams
Loves to post

MG ZT-T+

Thanks Daveo138, I saw that one on ebay and am watching it. I have even sent a query message about it to the seller.

I have every receipt for the car since I bought it in January 2006 and it is also on a history spreadsheet. I also have a spreadsheet of all the fuel put into it with the fuel consumption over the 268,000 miles I have driven it. It has been a pampered car which I have taken to several Rover shows, eg Roverfest 2022, and it drove virtually as new.
Old 21st October 2022, 13:08   #8
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Scarp apparently is at good prices, a mate who MOT's cars was telling me a lot of stuff is worth £500 and some even more.
You might be able to make a few quid out of the parts and still get a decent return on whats left over.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2022, 13:57   #9
Bob Williams
Loves to post

MG ZT-T+

Thank you SCP440. Perhaps if I opted to buy the car back I could arrange in advance for it to be delivered to a scrapyard. It all depends on the figures and, as was said before, there is probably not a lot I can do until then.
Old 21st October 2022, 14:34   #10
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Hi Bob, I am sorry to hear this has happened to you, the main thing is your car saved you from being hurt.

About 8 years ago, I shot a video clip of the Black Pearl at a car meet.

https://youtu.be/SxFTVcLMR0o Here it is in the link.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote